Bushcrafting in the US???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaun1209

Feb 17, 2007
Los Angeles, Ca
I want to thank everyone for their input and invites to get together for some outdoor fun. I don't really have the opportunity to do that much traveling outside of the state b/c of work but if anyone is ever in the LA area there is some vast area in Angelas National Forest.

I've gone to a few public campsites sometimes but I have yet to camp in the open land (mainly b/c I love having an open fire and they don't permit them anywhere other than public sites).

There is a large wilderness that i've thought about making my way into and just getting deep enough where a small fire for cooking will not be detected....not sure if i'm crazy for thinking I could do it or not but I have seen a few places around the forest that people have made small fires so it does give some insight.

It seems like majority of the areas around me are so closed off to open fires that you are limited to public camping sites which is NO fun when trying to enjoy the great outdoors in a raw form.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
IThere is a large wilderness that i've thought about making my way into and just getting deep enough where a small fire for cooking will not be detected....not sure if i'm crazy for thinking I could do it or not but I have seen a few places around the forest that people have made small fires so it does give some insight.

Sounds like a great plan but please be careful. You should read everything you can find on campfire safety. At certain times of the year, it's a lot easier to set the forest on fire than you can possibly imagine. A few things to consider. 1) What is the fire danger listing? This will usually be posted by the US Forest Service so check with them. 2) check the forest floor for tinder. An area covered with dry leaves or grass can go up in flames in a blink of an eye 3) clear at least a 10 ft diameter area for your fire 4) watch the wind carefully because that's how fire will escape your campfire 5) make sure there is plenty of water handy to douse the fire and 6) if you are in a boggy or mucky area, keep in mind that the fire couild burn undergroiund and emerge days, weeks, or even months later. This is what happened to Thoreau who once set a forest on fire by building his fire in a boggy area. Enjoy but you can never be too paranoid about forest fires.

Matt Mallery

Jun 4, 2007
Shaun,

I would recommend adhering to the regulations in regards to campfires. Some cases here in Arizona where people set fires knowingly in violation of the laws has resulted in thousands of acres destroyed, and if they get caught, they may face prison or stiff fines.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE