bushcrafters unite and buy land

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
hey our local Golf players have it.... our local soccer team...local motor cross team...local scouts...

land!

We should unite and organize.
Get in contact with the local officials.
Start talking, start lobying.

With should have like dozens of sites around each country. No kidding.
Why not?

I mean when the local scout group can agree on the layout and care of a site, why can't we?

Also bushcraft sites will be nicer, more beautiful and more biodiverse then our local golf course.

It does not cost much. Forest ground is 1 euro/m2, we can also lease ground, some counsils have land doing nothing, convervation is fun and united are some anyhow.

So what about it? ? :)

I came to know that de Dutch bushcrafter are working on a national site, but why not more and a lot?

Last edited:

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I was looking at forest for sale a week ago. The prices i was seeing for land that appealed to me (e.g not surrounded by a village, or roads etc) was utterly absurd, and i do not mean in a good way. It was daylight robbery, especially considering you were not even allowed to live there. This was in the south west of England for reference. You've also got the legalities to consider, which could potentially cause someone a big headache, and worst case scenario, a lot of legal trouble with the council.

A great idea, but would require a hell of a lot of money and a VERY trusting community. Whose name does the land go in, how do you sort out disputes over a desire to withdraw their investment etc etc etc. I think you'd have accumulated some pretty hefty legal bills before the process was finalized.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
thanks for replying, so good you enquired. The day will surely come though :)
hmm that does not sound good. Some areas are more expensive then others. One has to avoid people who make much money of it. Better buy it from locals or straight from the owners.
But the local government can also lease one forest or grasslands for replanting some shrubs and trees, I mean they do that to clubs too.

I know I dude here who bought a forest of an old lady for 2000 quit. 6000-8000m2 :) for buschraft that is ok for lots of people.
Lets say 1 euro/m2 (really normal here) divided by the more wealthy members. Not a great investment compared to lets say their 4x4 or yearly holidays.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I've always dreamt/fantasised about buying an island somewhere, banning cars and street lighting, local produce, self sustaining, solar, wind/water power and log burners only.

Crowd funding anyone?? a grand a piece 200 souls...it's a start.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
thanks for the reply. good idea too.
crowd funding, yeah :) stuff like that
for instance some girl here got here studie as convervationalist crowd funded

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
woohoo, prettie big n relatively cheap
that is 106 hectares
1.060.000 m2
that is 0,20 cent (pound)/m2
nice find
ps I dont have the cash ;)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I've always dreamt/fantasised about buying an island somewhere, banning cars and street lighting, local produce, self sustaining, solar, wind/water power and log burners only..."

People already do that, but not on islands, not ones surrounded by sea anyways. You'd find it easier to trade or get gear in if you could get it down a road/track rather than onto a boat. :)

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
use the address given in the estate agents advert to google earth it, I know there is secure parking for dozens of cars, the big site has lockable gates, there is electricity in the out building with I believe running mains water, there may even be a toilet. Lots of flat camping ground and of course forest for those that wish to hang in the trees..

Knowing this land I would jump at it if I had the money

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've always dreamt/fantasised about buying an island somewhere, banning cars and street lighting, local produce, self sustaining, solar, wind/water power and log burners only.

Crowd funding anyone?? a grand a piece 200 souls...it's a start.

I reckon you will need about 30 acres per family for that to be truly self sustaining. Probably nearer £500k per family. For 200 souls, say 4 to a family, thats 1,500 acres. Doable but a fair sized island.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have sometimes thought that if I came into a significant sum of money, I would negotiate with the local Council to buy the freehold of all the allotments in the City and put them in the hands of a trust fund owned and managed by the respective associations.

We have autonomy but it only goes so far, because we are still tied to a regularly renewable lease from a Council that is looking at every pocket of land to see how many houses can be built on it.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
To be honest i could probably build a log cabin down the south calder valley and live there quite easily for a while without anyone every finding it. Neds would find and burn it before the authorities would....The only other people i suspect would find me would be the Police Heli. If i built a earth house type structure i doubt anyone would ever find me.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
To be honest i could probably build a log cabin down the south calder valley and live there quite easily for a while without anyone every finding it. Neds would find and burn it before the authorities would....The only other people i suspect would find me would be the Police Heli. If i built a earth house type structure i doubt anyone would ever find me.

The issue with an earth style structure is that they could very well win the argument of intentionally hiding it. I'd love nothing more than a cabin in the woods, it wood be heaven, but it can be a big risk to take. That one hiker who happens across it could cost you your house and land. I believe you have to live there (and have significant and proof of it) for 4 years before you can gain retrospective permission. That's quite a long while to be sneaking around not drawing anyones attention.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I am in the process of building an earth covered root cellar on my allotment. That may go slightly beyond planning regulations, but what is the worst that could happen, I have to take it down? To be honest I don't think anybody is going to notice. Anyway the fun is in the building.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Super cool !
Good luck and attitude ��
Overhere no cop enters the outdoors �� not even the green police

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I am in the process of building an earth covered root cellar on my allotment. That may go slightly beyond planning regulations, but what is the worst that could happen, I have to take it down? To be honest I don't think anybody is going to notice. Anyway the fun is in the building.

The worst that can happen is they fake you to court and you end up with some hefty fines. I was researching this last week while looking at buying land. Annoy them enough and the council can become unreasonably vindictive.

It's a real shame this way this country is going. Why my money will probably be spent on land abroad where you actually get to use it in the manner you'd expect. Fortunately I've many options and my partner already has a good plot of land and a "house' on Tobago, and potential to inherit a good plot of land and house on the mountains of Trinidad when the time comes. They don't have the restrictions we have here and her mother has turned it into what looks close to paradise.

I love England, but I sure do hate it at the same time. A modern society sure does have its drawbacks for folk like us.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
I am lucky this far
Cooking on open campfire for 2 years weekly, luckily never bothered.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
If you don't want to earn a living from it then even a tiny piece of land can be fun. Enough for archery, some experimental archaeology, fire etc. As to the over valuation of land, would you sell something for less than the market considers it is worth? I still do not understand why people who can afford a modest house do not locate near a patch of land they could buy or rent. Bare field or wood and a separate house is likely to be much cheaper than a smallholding.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE