Bushcrafters and technology

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
Hi,
I was just wondering what forum members' attitudes to new technology are.
For example, I never go anywhere - wild or otherwise - without my HTC Desire HD Android mobile phone, for a number of reasons.
It has an excellent camera - saves carrying a separate one.
It contains my whole music collection - don't need an iPod.
The screen is plenty good enough for watching HD movies.
It has the Kindle ebook reader app - no need to carry paperbacks.
It has Google Maps - don't need to carry paper street maps.
It has a flashlight app which is astonishingly bright - no need for a torch.
It has a compass and Google Sky Map - great for learning navigation.
Oh... and if I fall down a hole, I can call 999 on it!
OK, it needs charging every day so it's not really a practical tool for an extended trip in the wilds, but it's still mightily useful in my normal day-to-day routine.
I know it cannot replace the vital skills learnt through proper outdoors experience and experimentation.
Nonetheless, I'd be really interested to hear if anyone else is a fan of technology, and if so, what gadgets do you rely on?
Cheers,
Steve

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am a Luddite - I hate having to rely on electronic gadgets outdoors ... they fail when wet (not good in Wales) and cost a fortune in batteries/recharging.
Even my phone is off when I get in the woods.
Herdcopy maps and lots of loverly paper books!

realearner

Forager
Sep 26, 2011
kent
Got technology but when out all I carry is an iPhone which I can and do turn off unless I need it I.e. For an emergency, much prefer to use old tech as such and my mind :confused:
But each to their own, but when the revolution comes and the cell networks are down the phones won't be a lot of good :soapbox:

udamiano

On a new journey
Technology has its place, but should not be relied upon, for instance I always take a GPS with me, however I've also carry the relevant maps and a compass of the area as well1, The GPS is now more used to confirm location, not as my primary NAV tool. My Phone is usually with me when Im out purely for business reasons, and again useful, but when out in the woods or out waking in say the Pennines I always, have a route and time worked out and a secondary plan with the boss if Im not back in time!

Has its place : YES
should be used to replace more manual methods : NOT in my opinion

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
I went the other way and reverted back to my old non camera nokia ,it only makes calls n tx msg and only needs charging once a week. Iv had enough of tek but only because I piged out on it I find my life better if I control it rather than it controlling me ,I only get a flash phone to flog and it pays for my contract . You must admit all singing and dancing phones take over eventually and your in trouble if you forget or lose it ....me mr moleskine n pencil.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Samsung Galaxy S for just about all the reasons you have listed.
Personally I love any new tech high or low I don't mind which. There are ways that gadgets and new tech can help you learn old skills. I have a knot guide on my phone.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
This clapped out computer I'm using is about as close to technology as I get.................................when camping, nothing with batteries comes with me.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
When out I shun all electronics, I don't understand the reliance on un-needed technology.
Sent from the woods via my blackberry

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Technology has its place, but should not be relied upon, for instance I always take a GPS with me, however I've also carry the relevant maps and a compass of the area as well1, The GPS is now more used to confirm location, not as my primary NAV tool. My Phone is usually with me when Im out purely for business reasons, and again useful, but when out in the woods or out waking in say the Pennines I always, have a route and time worked out and a secondary plan with the boss if Im not back in time!

Has its place : YES
should be used to replace more manual methods : NOT in my opinion

Agree 100%

I love technology and am usually an early adopter of cool new stuff that comes out.
I bought one of the first generation digital cameras over 10 years ago, likewise GPS.

The GPS i find VERY useful, but oddly enough it's more for after walks/rides than during, as i upload my trip to Garmin fit to review it, see if i missed any good paths (on google earth) and to compare things like heart rate, average speed etc.

I do use the GPS more over here in Greece than i did in the UK as the hiking maps are terrible here.
So i often put places of interest on the route in my GPS to find them.

I cannot advise strongly enough on you not relying on your phone though.
I have the exact same phone and although the new ice cream sandwich update is better, the battery life is still abysmal.
Turn on the GPS and look at the phone every now and then and you'll be lucky to see your walk out with the battery.
Likewise using it as a torch and not only is it very poor but again it's eats through batteries.

Compared to something like a ZebraLight H600 torch there really is no comparison, especially if your caught out after dark.

With regards to music, i have my Desire HD paired with my bluetoooth car stereo, so have all my fave playlists available, plus if the phone rings i'm able to speak handsfree.

Movies i do not watch as it ruins the entire experience viewing on such a small monitor IMO, you miss so much stuff.
Likewise with reading, i really do prefer books rather than kindle.

So yep love technology, but as said above it has it's place.
That place IMO is an assistance but it should NEVER be relied on.

Cheers
Mark

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
bits of tech come with me on every trip out;

Desire phone
Garmin E trex gps
Headtorchs

Of all three, the headtorchs are most loved. The other 2 are a pain and serve no real use really, apart from emergencies. The gps is there to tell me where I am in the fog/cloud/snow only.

I like the star apps, torch, camera and alarm but none are essential and aren't really important to me and just serve as a backup. No films for me either, watching the fire is much better :)

The more time I spend outside, the less I like anything with batteries.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I went the other way and reverted back to my old non camera nokia..."

I have a cheap as chips Nokia (1616), two weeks between charges, when an iPhone or Android can manage that I'll think about one.

These days, the only technical item I carry in the woods is a head torch.

:)

Last edited:

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
It has its place do I rely on it totally no I have GPS but use a map and compass batteries have a habit of not working when needed the most. How ever did we manage before mobiles? "A computer is a solution looking for a problem" still makes me smile.

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
It has its place do I rely on it totally no I have GPS but use a map and compass batteries have a habit of not working when needed the most. How ever did we manage before mobiles? "A computer is a solution looking for a problem" still makes me smile.

Yep like this post .....yea it's all making sence now

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE