Bushcrafters and technology

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 16, 2011
Newmains
i am a sucker for so called hi-tec but find most of it a let down, ie.short battery life or not clumsy idiot proof.
So paper map and compass both of which i have been facinated with since an early age,
and gear that i am confident will not fail (torches,stoves ) because they have been used for a long time.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Another member of the Luddite community,
I used technology because it is expected of me and I've fallen for the stories of those who tell me its a good thing.

But I'd be just as happy to forget it all (apart from you guys) I have a mobile phone that I can send messages on - it has interweb capability so I'm told but I have no idea how to use it for that, it can probably do a lot of things that I don't know about. I look at the kids nowadays never leaving the things alone, talking, sending text messages and surfing the web, they can walk from one end of town to the other having never looked up from the things - frankly that's not how I want to live my life.

For me, technology has to prove itself - rugged, robust and long lasting, anything that relies on batteries has limited longevity, electronics (especially micro circuit boards) will fail in the wet conditions or through harsh treatment and if anyone wants to try relying upon the mobile phone signal we get here - its a joke!

It has its place and it has its time, but its not for me, not just now.

Ogri the trog

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Technology ,I'd say the knife was a big technological leap for mankind , it only relies on you,only as good as you,protects you ,feeds you,shelters you,becomes part of you.

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
Love tech, love gadgets, embrace every new technology..but never rely on anything but yourself, after working in IT for a good few years you soon realise they are all a pile of crap..:rolleyes: bitter? who me? nahhh

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have a big casio graphical calculator; it has so many wonderous functions Im learning new maths to see what they do.

Maxip

Forager
Dec 2, 2011
Cumbria, UK
Technology is good but isn't right for every situation. I have a Motorola Atrix and rely on it for pretty much everything in 'normal' life (phone, diary, contacts, email, messaging, music player, hands free in car, book reader, games, etc) but when I'm walking, it is a secondary tool to maps & compass. Yes, I can use the GPS to check where I am (MM Tracker app :) ) but having been in Scouts etc. before technology, I've grown up using paper & compass to navigate and despite my love of tech I don't think that will change.

There are ways to improve battery life on smartphones but the way I find best (when out & about) is to turn everything off, except the phone part - that way I can get 2 days worth of battery life and still have an emergency contact device. I do carry a small recharging unit that will charge phone fully in 2 hours from 4xAA batteries. The exception to this would be if I'm Geocaching as I use the smartphone exclusively for this.

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
Interesting reaction to my original post - people seem to be split quite clearly on the issue.
I kind of expected that, but I wonder why you can't love the technology of a smartphone AND love the simplicity of a firesteel, for example?
I maybe didn't make it clear in the OP but there's no way I'd be RELYING on my smartphone when I'm out in the woods or hills; the battery life is crap (it stays off until I need it to take a pic) and as so many have pointed out it's useless in the wet - and I live in the west of Scotland where we have a lot of wet.
But with so many functions it's an undeniably useful tool to have on you wherever you are, urban or wild, so I'll happily continue to chuck it in my sack or pocket, along with my knife, tinder kit, notebook and pen, firesteel, paracord, binoculars etc etc
Cheers,
Steve

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Ahhhhhhh so your really asking what if anything we use our smart phones for?

Well as i say i have the same phone (Desire HD) and have not been able to get the battery to last a full hike when using the GPS.
So i no longer bother using Endomondo and other GPS logging software.

I have used google earth on occasion because as i say the maps here are terrible (likewise my GPS map), so it was useful to see roughly where i was in comparison to other things.

As i say i go out in the mountains for peace and quiet so i've never once used my phone to listen to music.
I do through the car stereo if it's a long drive back though.

About the only thing i regularly use my phone for when outdoors is snapping pics.
It's also handy for the Mrs as if there is a signal i'll snap a pic and post it up on facebook there and then, which settles her nerves.

Thinking about it.
99% of the time i only use my GPS for datalogging, my phone for pics so the only technology i use on a regular basis is my torch.
Especially now in winter with the dark nights as pretty much every walk sees us coming back in the dark.

I would happily leave home without my phone, and/or GPS but i carry a spare battery and a spare torch as i think this is essential.

Cheers
Mark

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Technology is OK if it's appropriate for what you are doing. I don't need a smartphone if I'm in the middle of nowhere, but a satellite-compatible SARBE beacon could be a good thing if I had an accident in some really remote place like Arctic Norway. Likewise, if I'm cutting a large log, I'd rather use a chain saw than a hand saw or a flint axe. It may be less satisfying for some people, but it's a lot faster, and from the very beginning of humanity, we've been finding ways to do a job faster,easier or better.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It is gadgets I dont get on with - not tools!
When I am in the wilds an EPIRB is a tool - getting onto Twitter is Farcebook is a gadget
If I want to take a photo a camera is a tool - listening to canned music is gadget time...
I got to the wilder places to escape the clutter, noise and general BS of the modern world ...but I like to do it safely.
Relying on water soluble technology like phones that tend to run out of signal/battery in next to no time does not hack it for me :)
Toys should live in the playground, tools should survive in the wilds :)

Maxip

Forager
Dec 2, 2011
Cumbria, UK
For Android users;

My Tracks (Free) will record your tracks and show you distance, ascent profile, moving / resting / etc and can be uploaded to Google Maps for online viewing and / or sharing. Really useful - yes, it does use GPS (therefore battery) but you can tell it how often to check location to minimise battery usage.

MM Tracks ($9.99) uses Memory Map quick chart maps (QCT) which give you full OS capability on your Android phone for minimal investment if you already have the maps.

Star Chart ($2.99) gives a stunning display of the night (or daytime) sky. Point your phone at a star / galaxy / constellation / etc and the app will give you all the info about it. My Scouts love this app when we're out walking !!

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
In bushcraft context the only technology I find useful is one that lasts for a long time.

Fenna's distinction of gadget/tool applies too.

For example: My phone is with me, but switched off, since the batteries run flat and when that happens I would have been better off leaving it at home. Serves it's purpose if I get in trouble.
Headtorch: Good to have, but again, no point in running around with it lit all the time. The faster it runs out, the sooner it becomes just dead weight.

The things we rely on in bushcraft, knives, flint, saws, axes, rucksacks and so on, they are useful because they require no fuel to run and they can be maintained for a long time. Imagine if there was an electric knife of some sort that never has to be sharpened and cuts effortlessly through the hardest materials. Only downside is that it has a battery which lasts 5 days and is useless without one. I doubt people would use it for bushcraft, even though it has superior characteristics. If smartphones could be kept running for a month at a time I wouldn't think of leaving it behind. Using it and relying on it is a matter of preference.

For that reason besides a headtorch another electronic piece of kit I use is a watch. A Suunto Core namely. And the only reason it is of any use at all is because the battery lasts for 1-2 years. If it would be 10 days then I would consider leaving it at home. But as it is currently I can get nice info on my watch. Air pressure, sunrise-sunset times, the date, air temperature (or water), altitude. It would be worthless without a good old map and compass, but it also gives a bit of extra. I wouldn't want to rely on it entirely, but it's good to have.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE