Bushcraft v.s. Survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
"Survival is sitting out in the cold waiting for rescue, and bushcraft is sitting out in the cold while whittling a spoon and coming home in a body bag" So what would sitting in the cold whittling a spoon waiting to be rescued be called survivalcraft?

Another question, more pressing if you ask me, is

Why do closed minds always seem to come with open mouths?

Trango

Feb 1, 2011
Europe
Steady there Trango.

Actually what you describe as a setup is very much the same setup as a lot of bushcrafters that I know, as I said before a lot of the skills we use are the same especially when it comes down to the basics and the principles of Survival which both parties use.

That was a pro bushcraft comment for the record.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Which is better - Bushcraft or Survival?
There's only one way to find out....

HarryHill_fight-1.jpg

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
I've been following this thread with interest. It seems to me that bushcraft, survival, survivalist are ultimately all labels. People are simply doing what they are doing and doing it to the best of their abilities. It would perhaps be misguided for anybody to be elitist about their own methods and to denigrate others' methods. The most important aspect is surely to get "out there" and enjoy what remains of the world's natural spaces for what they are...........

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Once the Zombies have been and gone, I hope I can get away from all the survivalists and find some bushcraft types to hang out with! (They'll probably be in the woods comparing knives, blissfully unaware the zombies have been)

Z (little-endian)

Trango

Feb 1, 2011
Europe
I've been following this thread with interest. It seems to me that bushcraft, survival, survivalist are ultimately all labels. People are simply doing what they are doing and doing it to the best of their abilities. It would perhaps be misguided for anybody to be elitist about their own methods and to denigrate others' methods. The most important aspect is surely to get "out there" and enjoy what remains of the world's natural spaces for what they are...........

Yip exactly my thought as well; survival is a merely a situation, bushcraft are skills. We apply those skills to enjoy the outdoors. What we are labeled is not that relevant; I don't feel the need to be categorized, although I'm definitely not a survivalist, cause that makes it sounds like I'm fighting something, which I'm not, i'm enjoying something. And... I take it most non active folks would label most of us as crazy anyway for "Camping in the snow! Why would you do such a thing?!". But okay, we can all live with labels I suppose, after all we're on a bushcraft forum actively participating aren't we? The point remains, this forum provides excellent advise and insight into sharping those skills that make your outdoors activities that much more enjoyable. It's all good.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
I get put into both categories by other folks. I could give a flip how others classify me! I have taken course work in both areas and use these skills in my outdoor pursuits. However, I have spent a lifetime participating in many different outdoor and outdoor related cultural activities, scoutcraft, camp craft, woodsmanship, camp cooking, infantry field craft, reconnaissance, tracking, fur bearer trapping, hunting, archery, axemanship, backpacking, canoeing, kayaking, mountain biking, camping, land navigation, wood working, wood carving, longhunter reenacting, muzzleloading, Native American crafts and dance, wildlife management, hunter education and other outdoor activities. I have also spent the better part of 25 years working in the parks and recreation maintenance field. Personally, I do not put myself solely into either group and I believe that the skill sets overlap. Many of the skill sets of the outdoor activities I have listed overlap. I look upon my experience and my continued learning as becoming a well rounded outdoorsman. I have done the roughing it bit and I have done the fancy camping bit. I have done the military survival bit and I have done the native skills bit. I like all of it and try to learn and use bits from each. As I age and the body wears down, I am happy to say that I appreciate a warm fire, good camp food and great outdoor fellowship.

Gordy

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
Right. If I apply so called bushcraft skills then that's merely because I'm lazy and don't want to carry too much. I use sources for water so I don't need to carry liters of water. I carry a stainless steel small kettle so I don't have to carry a burner. I can light in fire in pretty much all conditions as long as I have a knife to prepare the wood a bit. Having a fire allows me to reduce the sleeping bag, or switch to a wool blanket. Tent and fire don't go well so I went for a simple piece of plastic.

All of the above is driven by comfort for me. I've carried & roughed it more than enough back in the days. An innocent bystander may perceive my setup as harsh but I have nowadays more water at my disposal then ever before when I had to carry it all, I have more warmth then when I carried my big military bag, and I don't have to deal with condensation in a tent and stay dry at all times. Comfort. And enjoying the outdoors. Is that bushcraft? I couldn't care less. It enables me.

I don't quite get the meaning of quoting me then your reply, but the bold writing is what i like to think :D

Trango

Feb 1, 2011
Europe
I don't quite get the meaning of quoting me then your reply, but the bold writing is what i like to think :D

You mentioned you were neither, you also mentioned you just enjoy being outdoors, and most importantly you are spot on with the labeling. I wholeheartedly agree.

My point with the above post was I simply apply certain skills to my outdoors activities, which happen to be generally labeled as bushcrafting. However the purpose for me is not to be bushcrafty or survivaly, but just to have fun outdoors, and do things with a bit of comfort. So the label is of no importance to me, it is the skills of each individual that I rather appreciate.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
You mentioned you were neither, you also mentioned you just enjoy being outdoors, and most importantly you are spot on with the labeling. I wholeheartedly agree.

My point with the above post was I simply apply certain skills to my outdoors activities, which happen to be generally labeled as bushcrafting. However the purpose for me is not to be bushcrafty or survivaly, but just to have fun outdoors, and do things with a bit of comfort. So the label is of no importance to me, it is the skills of each individual that I rather appreciate.

Seconded, well said Trango - I think we've agreed on this on the other very similar thread going on at the mo. It is about getting out there and enjoying natures beauty and open spaces. You can call me anything you like if it needs a name (as long as it's clean lol):)

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Whats in a name , why must people label everything ! survival and bushcraft are intertwined so much that they are nearly one in the same .

Can a survivalist go out at the weekend and practices his skills of sleeping out and fire lighting cooking what he can find or catch , surely if he forgets his spoon he can make another one without fear of someone labeling him a bushcrafter .

When Ray Mears started out was he not selling survival courses the same as all the other survival schools . bushcraft is a word that is a bit more palatable to the press and general public .

We have to remember there are people in the world using bushcraft and survival skills every day , they to have a label for it LIFE !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushcraft
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_skills

Craig.................

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE