Bushcraft trip - how long?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
I am just curious, but how long do you generally go bushcrafting for (on your own or in a gorup) and if time was no object, how long would you go before returning to the modern world?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Well due to teaching commitments I'm down to weekend bushcrafting and the odd week or two in the holidays.... I do lots of days out though ;-)
As to the question 'if time was no object'..... well I spent 4 years in asia travelling around deserts and jungles.... I came home because of money... not time.... I'd probably still be there if I had a decent income out there. 3 months was the longest I spent in the desert without going to a town or city..... Just me, a mate, a couple of camels and a guide.... wonderful!!!

Ed

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
When I was younger I always wanted to run away and live in the bush of Canada or Alaska.Reality set in, now Im happy to get away for 2 or 3 nights when I can.Alot of times I am happy with just a long day spent in the trees.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Last year I spent the winter in Idaho, living in a small shelter. I was helping some folks get through the hardest parts of the winter and with no water or electricity, it's a pimitive condition. :wink:

From there I spent a couple months on the S. Central coast of California, doing bushcraft, camping, hunting, hiking and watching the whales make their annual migration.

Completely wore out my sleeping bag(s) and totaled one tent. :eek:): Not to mention I'd lost 30# and had one heck of a tan. :lol:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
1 week every year in Sweden. And of course every weekend. :biggthump But if time was no limit, then living in Canada's wilderness would be great! :D

G

Ginja

Ed said:
I spent 4 years in asia travelling around deserts and jungles....

I'm green with envy over that one, Ed! Must have been one hell of an experience ...

For me (and many others I guess), it's a case of fitting in around work. My regular routine is at least one day 'out and about' every weekend - not always sleeping out, but I do so whenever possible. To boulster this, I like to spend weekends away - normally once a quarter - often either with mates, or with one of my favourite schools (eg. Breakaway). And at least once a year I like to spend a week or so 'wild camping' with mates/missus, etc - though ALL of this is going to have to step up a gear soon, as I'm about to enroll in mountain leader course; hence I need to start putting some serious mileage behind me!

Also planning a 'big one' to Borneo/Malaysia sometime next year ...

And if time was no object? Let's just say you'd have to find me before you could even think about dragging me back ... !

G :)

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
Ginja said:
And if time was no object? Let's just say you'd have to find me before you could even think about dragging me back ... !

G :)

Problem is finding places in england that you couldnt be found, but I suppose if you travelled around, it would be a bit easier

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE