Bushcraft & The Law

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
G

Ginja

Greetings All. I'm probably being a bit lazy here (or is that resourceful?!) ... but does anyone know of a good reference point - eg. a website, organisation, etc - that provides advice on bushcraft and the law? That is, the (il)legal aspects of practicing bushcraft/survival skills in the British countryside. For instance - regulations dealing with the trapping of animals, building fires, access to land, taking and use of 'green' wood, carrying certain types of equipment (eg. ruddy great knives/machetes and the like!). Any ideas/suggestions/pointers greatfully received. Cheers, G.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
The best advice is the simplest - Always seek the land owner's permission. That goes for trapping, fire building and shelters. As to access and use of wood, the same goes (variable bylaws also exist when it comes to collecting falled wood). Foraging is slightly different and the Theft Act 1968 and The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 does allow collection under certain circumstances.

http://www.english-nature.org.uk/science/botany/plant9.htm

It's all rather complicated and life is a lot easier and far less complicated with permission from the land owner!

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Stuart said:
also remember that trapping also has its own set of laws which are very specific about what you can and cant do
yeah, spot on Stuart. Most things that are promoted in survival manuals and bushcraft books are illegal in the UK. That includes gill nets, spring traps, single strand snares ... a lot actually.

G

Ginja

Cheers fellas. I'm going to do some research on this and will let you know if I come across a 'one-stop-shop' on the legal aspects of bushcraft - may be a case of compiling my own reference guide from English Natural, Woodland Trusts, and the like. Needless to say I'll post whatever I find here ... Cheers, G

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Most things that are promoted in survival manuals and bushcraft books are illegal in the UK. That includes gill nets, spring traps, single strand snares
Yep.... you need a special license to use gill nets (issued to fisheries personel and ecologists etc),

Only certain listed spring traps are legal in the UK.... this was posted in the fair game forum some time back, do a search and you'll find a link to the official list.

I used to think single strand snares were illegal all over the uk but I've been looking into it, they are illegal in my area but I'm not too sure on single strand snares in the rest of the uk.... I think as long as it is free running, ie non locking it is fine as far as the law is concerned. BUT.... A single strand snare will cut into an animal if made from standard brass snare wire and cause undue pain and stress... so braid the snares to make them thicker. laws are stricter as to where you can place them, though and each area has its own bylaws which complicate matters further (for both setting and types of snares you can use). http://nwhsa.redblackandgreen.net/snares_and_the_law.htm
There are quite a few links in the fair game forum to legal matters of this type... I suggest you start there.

:)
Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE