Bushcraft tattoo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
sharp88 said:
A bear would perhaps be a nice one in my opinion....but thats just me.

I've played with the idea of a tattoo of a naked molerat. As it is the most ugly & wrinkled looking animal in the world, the older I would get, the more it would look like a real molerat. It's the only tattoo that would get better looking by aging :lmao:
http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~bramblet/photos/molerat.html
But in the end I chickened out & now I have one that is based on this Easter island image:
http://www.pacificmythology.augury.co.uk/easter/easter_birdman.htm
I restyled it to look a bit more like a "raven-man", added toes to the foot & supersized the egg that is held in the birdman's hand. To me it's a symbol of my curiosity for nature.

Tom

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Toddy said:
Inuit women *sew* the tattoos under the skin using a needle and sinew thread that has been dragged through soot. There are mummies of at least 1600 years old that show this technique.
http://www.vanishingtattoo.com/arctic_tattoos.htm
Don't know if it'd hurt less than a bush knife though :eek:

Cheers,
Toddy

p.s. I reckon our ancestral tattoos had something to do with the fact that woad is actually a good antibactericide adn antibiotic.
M
I was reading the other day about the possibility that it was actually woad that britons used to cover/tatoo their bodies with. I can't remember the link but the outcome was painfull. A tatoo artist tatooed a man with woad and it immediately burnt his skin severely. I think the conclusion of the article was that woad was mixed with a substance like grease and just daubed on the body.
It was an interesting article, shame my memory is so fragmented :D

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I have both arms covered with "bushcraft" tattoos: well really they are "tribal" tattoos that reflect my Iroquois heritage and are really tribal. I have my "spririt guides" on one arm (full sleeve) along with nation (Kanienkehaka {Mohawk} and clan {Bear}). The other arm is a story board with pictorial tattoos that recall legends and teachings.
Research a lot and make it personal, you'll be well satisfied if done right.
One very important thing to remember is once on, they are not easy, cheap or painless to take off.
PS: the "PAIN" issue is way over dramatised, I have actually fell asleep while the artist was going about, its like a sunburn being scratched at the very worst (after 5-6 hours of being tattooed)
but I am Iroquois!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
:yo:
Carcajou Garou

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Must admit I really like the Woodsmoke school logo. It could work as a tattoo. In fact, I like all of their artwork. Not sure if they'd appreciate you stealing a design without permission but perhaps something similar would work? Maybe you could even contact whoever did the designs (I think it might actually be Ben's sister?) and see if they can come up with something good for you?

See here: www.woodsmoke.uk.com

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'd steer clear of copying anyone else’s designs without permission, even something close will irritate people. If you get something original done you should be safe.

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
I spent literally years looking at artistic tattooists all over the world till i found one whom i felt had similar views to me. Then gave him a broad brief and let him come up with a piece that was very personal to me.

I say artsistic to differentiate from the myriad of inkers who happily copy other peoples designs and flash all their lives. That way i felt i had a true work of art that held meaning and style unique to me.

To say i am happy with what i got is something of an understatement. well worth the years of research and waiting for something that will be with me till the day i die,

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
hi guys,
I have to say that i have been looking for many many years with no luck, the ammount of flash that i looked through you would not beleve. I sort of gave up looking then just as things in my life were changing drasticaly i saw a photo on the web of a crop circle of all things! the meaning of the circle sort of fitted with the way my life was going in a forward and positive way 3 days later i had it done, that was only 3 weeks ago but if i ever feel low i just need to see it to help me to find the right path.
So after all that :censored: Find something as unique as you are. Find a artist that
a) you like
2) you have a recomendation for
Remember a tattoo is for life not just for Christmas
cheers Lou
ps sorry my spelling is ab, abism, rubbish.

speedstar

Forager
May 28, 2005
lincs
i did not get any of my tats from flash as most of it is so bad just told my tattooist what i wanted and she went to it we both agreed on it the i got them done. ;)

sc_barker

Forager
Aug 23, 2006
Leicester
i designed my own tattoo inspired by the Maori tribal tattoos, try doing your own, its more personal and your less likely to regret it later

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
maverix said:
I spent literally years looking at artistic tattooists all over the world till i found one whom i felt had similar views to me. Then gave him a broad brief and let him come up with a piece that was very personal to me.

I say artsistic to differentiate from the myriad of inkers who happily copy other peoples designs and flash all their lives. That way i felt i had a true work of art that held meaning and style unique to me.

To say i am happy with what i got is something of an understatement. well worth the years of research and waiting for something that will be with me till the day i die,
I think you ve hit the nail on the head.I've got about 25 on my body and i can say there is only one i still like after 20 year, its the only one that spent along time looking for.I think if you want a tattoo then wait till you really know what you want.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I don't have any tattoos. When I was at the age that you had them done I could never find one I could live with. I feel that it is like any good art, if you like it and can live with it ... buy! But beware this is permanent and I would imagine very painful to have removed, unless you are into that kind of thing! Good tattoos are a pleasure to see.
A friend has a very good one of a ladys face on his upper arm. When we were travelling in India it caused a lot of interest as this seemed to be quite an unusual thing to have. He decided to explain to those who asked that this was his mother as we found very early in our wanderings that the answer 'girlfriend' immediately involved a series of quite searching questions and answers, sometimes these had a bit of anger or mistrust in them. Mother was taken as a good simple reply. We both felt that a lot of Indians were shocked that a girlfriend should be displayed like that. They seem to be very modest in their attitudes to this kind of imagery.
Swyn.

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
janiepopps said:
A few folk above have talked about their images - can you get some pics up for us?

Cheers

j
This being a site for all ages im not sure my tat would be too welcome ;) it starts at my shoulders and finishs a little further south than my toosh

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
So does mine... but it's art not filth, so why not? I'm not shy about that kind of stuff so if you want a peek at my 'little' dragon (ok, so I censored it slightly to keep you all happy..) pop along to:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g58/spacemonkey_mk1/DragonFront.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g58/spacemonkey_mk1/Backbig.jpg

It is a work in progress that has so far been about 15 hours, with about 24 or so to go to colour it in. Pain is defnitely on the agenda... My chest and back hurt like hell, as did the innner part of my thigh, but the side of the knee was painless as was the shoulders. My butt was deffo the most painful bit. Wouldn't recommend that...
Worth it though, and pain is only temporary- it's soon forgotten...until you go back for a little reminder! When finished it will have black scales, red belly and gold back fins.

Opinions?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE