Bushcraft Magazines

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
When I first started bcuk it was with the intention of a magazine. Something more physical that they could carry round. Time’s just never allowed for it to come to fruition. The opportunity may come this year though. ;)

It’s a great idea, just something that needs to be well thought out.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Tony,
I would love to get involved with producing a magazine, I would like to help you out with it let me know if I can be of any assistance..

outdoorcode

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2005
Halton West Uk
www.outdoorcode.co.uk
Well I recieved 2 copies of Backwoods home this morning, I will have a read then start a passaround.
At first glance they seem very home building focused, as the title suggests, but they carry various other pieces. Issue 94 has a special section ion self reliance for women (varying from surviving a biochemical attack to females and firearms) it also covers awnings, solar power and vegetarian delights amongst other things.
Issue 95 covers Gold panning, Kinder goats, solar batteries, making sausages, gathering rose hips and preparing Bear meat.

Well the above is a taster of whats in them so if you haven't already said you want a look put your name on this thread ;)

Andrew

richardw

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2005
Kent
outdoorcode said:
These are now on there way to jdlenton, so anyone else wants a look (other than those listed above) post on here :)

Andrew

Me please!

Let me know when you want my home address etc..

Richard

Willowbark

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2005
Stroud, Gloucestershire
Not sure about current magazines, but the buckskinning books (available through tandy leather/the Identity store) are collections of articles from the Amaerican Buckskinning magazines. A lot of stuff is reenactment based, but there is also some good info on firelighting, campcraft etc. Anyone know if the magazines are still out there?

Willowbark

There is a military magizine called "Combat & Survival" which usually has a few Bushcraft related articles. Last month was on preparing and cooking animals, and a good article on preventing and treating ticks. there are a lot of military articles, and a lot of advertisments for military gear as well, which is ok if you need some army surplus clothing and equip. etc.
I'd love a look at the american magizines, but I guess I'll be well down the list by now, lol, but I'l like to put my name down anyhow.

Celt_Ginger said:
There is a military magizine called "Combat & Survival" which usually has a few Bushcraft related articles. Last month was on preparing and cooking animals, and a good article on preventing and treating ticks. there are a lot of military articles, and a lot of advertisments for military gear as well, which is ok if you need some army surplus clothing and equip. etc.
I'd love a look at the american magizines, but I guess I'll be well down the list by now, lol, but I'l like to put my name down anyhow.
Is that what used to be the old Survival and Weaponry Techniques?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
So long as its not too late,
I'd be up for a passaround as well. I'd often thought about writing some sort of kit review but never quite got around to it.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I've written a number of articles over the years for Backwoods Home Magazine. I've always asked to be paid in books and anthologies. So, I have every Backwoods Home anthology for the first eleven years - that equates to hundreds of editions of the magazine. I also have volumes one to five of the Foxfire series of books.

Now I'm not going to start a swap around, but I'll be taking them along to the next Scottish Meet and if any of you are there, you'll be welcome to look through them.

I'll also have the Reader's Digest Back to Basics book too and some others.

Eric

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Mags arrived today thanks Andrew:)

I’ll endeavour to get through them this weekend pass them on
Tommy W your next PM your address please
let you know what I think after the weekend
James

if you folks put together a print magazine, i'll send you all my stuff and everything i write in the future! it's very important for me to support good bushcraft publications.

speaking of, my favorite is the Bulletin of Primitive Technology. it's better (for my stone age and experimentation interests) than all the other mags put together. too bad only two issues come out per year. the editor/publisher/founder told me that there aren't enough people out there, in the field, doing physical research and submitting articles to put out more issues per year. but what they do issue is fantastic! you can find this bulletin at www.primitive.org .

Backwoodsman magazine (www.backwoodsmanmag.com ) is much more applicable to Bushcrafters than Backwoods Home magazine. Backwoods Home mag. isn't interested in stone age skills (from personal experience). if i was into guns, Backwoodsman mag. would be of more interest to me, but it usually has one or two articles that attract my attention.

Wilderness Way mag. was pretty good during their first couple years, but they severely detoured around my paleolithic interests after that. but hey, that's just me. i have no interest in primitive skills that aren't done primitively. i think that magazine has the opportunity to present new information (like the Bulletin of Prim. Tech. does), especially ethnobotanical, but i haven't seen anything in there that one can't find elsewhere.

Stalking the Wild magazine will be my second favorite once they get it off the ground. they've published two issues so far, with the third coming out soon. www.stalkingthewild.com

when i get into making bows and arrows, i will subscribe to Primitive Archer magazine (www.primitivearcher.com ).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE