Bushcraft Magazine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Having read the other post about a new Bushcraft Magazine, it occured to me that there are numerous magazines on every possible hobby, for example, if your into motorbikes, there is MCN, Bike, Ride, Fast Bikes, Classic Bikes, etc, etc.

However there arent any magazines (that I am aware of), that are aimed at Bushcrafters.

How do I create a poll to say the following:

1. Would you be interested in purchasing a Bushcraft magazine? Yes/No

2. What would you consider to be the best frequency?

Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly
Quarterly

3. If you said no to the magazine, is it because of the following

Fear of increased numbers of fad following people wrecking the
countryside?

Worry about the "secret getting out"?

Possibility of increased government intervention, health & safety
guidelines, legislation about what we can and cant do.

4. If there was a magazine, what sort of articles, interviews, trips, etc would you
like to see discussed?

:)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
There's going to be a few bushcraft magazines, BCUK started in that way and then went to the website, the idea is to pick up the magazine in the near future. There's a few other people intending to start producing them and I'm quite sure there's more than one out now, although mostly in the forum of a newsletters to small groups.....I expect most will be large newsletters to start with.

archiet

Jan 6, 2005
London
Tony,

do you have a link to these existing/planned magazines?

I would be interested in getting hold of one.

Thanks

Clay

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
What do you get in a magazine that you can't get from BCUK?

From my experience most magazines have a "roll over" effect in that after you have been reading them for a year the same stuff starts to re-appear.Also there seems to be a "manufacturer tie in" in which the articles seem biased towards the same few big name companies.

BCUK is always current,the reviews are thorough and impartial and you get to shout back if you happen to disagree with anything.Also it can't get lost in the post,the dog can't eat it when it's delivered and you don't have to go into a nasty town to buy it from Smiths. :D

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Totally agree with Borderreiver

I found after reading the outdoor mags they repeat themselves every few years,

;)

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Yep, all that, but then you would never buy any printed material, you could get all the information you ever need from some website or another. The question was about bushcraft magazines. Each to their own ;) Happy days

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
Totally agree with Border Reiver
I used to spend up to £25 a month on magazines what with fishing, shooting and other things of interest.
The reviews are usually biased towards the opinion of the mag and are duplicated by other mags of the same subject.
At BcUK at least on the forums we can discuss kit, techniques and other subjects etc and get an open and more rounded view of things.
If you spent money on mags like I had go to Amazon and buy a book its more of an investment in the long run :bluThinki

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
So with what some of you are saying about preference to forums, if there was a bushcraft magazine you wouldn't buy it?

Magazine subscription about £30 per year or between 8 and 10 pence a day.

I like the forum, but I think magazines fill a place that forums cant, toilet, train, inlaws, swatting flie's and credit card application forms lol :lmao:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I used to get Combat and survival magazine, which contains a lot about bushcraft, I dug them out recently and will probably put them up for swapping on the new forum........................Jon

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Personally I would like the idea of publication of all the articule, tutorials and thoughts that make up BCUK in a hardcopy. Sometimes it can be hard go search around for items and I often end up printing stuff off anyway if I want to do it myself.

Maybe something like the Primitive Tech I & II books would be better then a regular mag.

James

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE