Bushcraft Magazine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
If there was a magazine I'd buy it (out of curiosity and loyalty probably) but I can't see it doing anything that this and other sites doesn't - except sell stuff.

In the 80's there was a magazine called SWAT - Survival Weaponry And Techniques, which did a similar thing but with a quasi-military apocalyptic angle. Well, we were still in the Cold War. I used to pick up Combat & Survival but my local newsagent stopped carrying it last year - it had some interesting articles and kit reviews but agan with a decidedly military feel.

Is this a possibility or are we just talking hypothetically?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Topcat02 said:
Hi Jon,

When's the new forum going on-line? Will you be scanning in articles from your mags? Can we use our current log-in ids?

:lmao:

The new forum is starting soon (I think) and is only for full members (I think). I will be putting up the mags for trading or selling, not for scanning, thats infringing copyrights (I think). I also have a few of the SWAT mags too, yes mostly military, but do contain some good stuff on what we used to call survival instead of bushcraft and let not start that one up again..............Jon

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
The problem with a printed magazine is that if you dont understand what they are dribling on about it takes a minimum of a month for your letter to get printed (thats if they like it , or have a letters section ). On this forum you get some answers the same day , and then a steady stream till your thread becomes old hat . Although i do like the idea of being able to purchace volumes (preferably on disc !) of tutorials and reviews . I dont expect this forum to disapear (as a lot of websites do ) but it would be nice to have some kind of hard copy to refer to at my leisure if my broadband goes down .
Pumbaa

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
pumbaa said:
The problem with a printed magazine is that if you dont understand what they are dribling on about it takes a minimum of a month for your letter to get printed (thats if they like it , or have a letters section ). On this forum you get some answers the same day , and then a steady stream till your thread becomes old hat . Although i do like the idea of being able to purchace volumes (preferably on disc !) of tutorials and reviews . I dont expect this forum to disapear (as a lot of websites do ) but it would be nice to have some kind of hard copy to refer to at my leisure if my broadband goes down .
Pumbaa

I agree Pumbaa, This Forum is the best you can get, but there are times when its nice to go through a mag or book, while sitting at the fire, laying in bed,etc etc.............Jon

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Hypothetically speaking, should such a magazine exist, and it is run on a commercial basis, then the financial drive would be for it be viable, thus being full of expensive products, cunningly devised adverts heavily disguised as reviews, and pressure to get a high circulation.

A by-product of this would be a greater audience of people wandering around the woods, some responsible, some otherwise, and no doubt the "Burberry" effect on bushcrafters, being surrounded by brand spanking Range Rover Vogues, BMW X5's, Ray Mear lookalikes, in the most expensive gear, possibly getting themselves into all sorts of trouble, and then suing the landowners who gave permission to camp in the first place.

Of course this is all hypothetical. In reality I prefer the virtual medium, although a quarterly magazine to members only would be a great idea, as I love getting stuff through the post!

TC

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
There is a lot to be said for the online medium. you can be selective in what you read - how often do you avidly read every page of a magazine.?
You don't get the storage issue if you dont want to get rid of it, and if you did get rid of it, well it seems a waste of a good tree...

On that vein, i never buy newspapers. Everything is available on ceefax or the web...

Now books are another story..!! :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE