Bushcraft Locations in the Midlands

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mbatham

This may seem a rather obscure and ambiguous question but where can I go and 'Bushcraft', doing all the associated lighting of a fire etc and not get shouted at in the Midlands?

Does anyone know of any Bushcraft friendly farmers with suitable land? Is there any 'common land' that any one knows of? I actual live in Dudley and as you probably can imagine, there isn't a lot of country side about.

I want to get away for a weekend to practice some skills but don't know where to go, please help....

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
Hiya mate,

I`m just north of you, my back garden is Cannock Chase. This is a great place for almost anyting, and i`m having a meeting in the next few weeks to try to arrange bushcraft access, legally.

In terms of friendly farmers, there are few and far between and they are only friendly to me because i have worked with them on projects.

As has been mentioned on other threads, your best bet is to find a peice of woodland that has was you are looking for, find you owns them, and approach them. I have found that a letter is the best option as unlike a phone call, terms such as "fire lighting" can be explained logically and carefully and you are more likely to get a favourable response. Offering something for their troubles never goes amiss. If you know woodland management, offer this in return for example.

mbatham

Thanks for your suggestion. I already have one place I use but its not the same as a new adventure.

I take on board what you are saying, but if the land is privatly owed then, most likly it is private property so you shouldn't be able to get on there to have a nose around.....

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
no but you can see from maps how big it is, where it is, if there are streams or ponds etc, as you can also go and look from a nearby road what tree species there area and most probably spot at least a few of the plants that inhabit the wood.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
This subject has exercised me for quite a while as I'm only 20 miles or so away from both of you. I wondered if one of the scout camp locations might play ball - Beaudesert or Kinver Edge - but I suspect their rules don't allow it.

mbatham

I am a memeber of the staff at Kinver Camp site and they do not allow ground fires full stop. That is beside the point anyway, unlike Beau, you have to be a memeber of a youth organisation to use the site, such as Scouts, Guides and Duke of Edinburgh Groups etc.

Has anyone tried to use or heard of any stories about the use of the Wyre Forest near Bewdley?

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
MBatham my friend do you or your family brew a rather nice beer :) .Sorry for being pedantic but Brierley Hill is NOT in Dudley. :)

mbatham

CLEM said:
MBatham my friend do you or your family brew a rather nice beer :) .Sorry for being pedantic but Brierley Hill is NOT in Dudley. :)

I did not specify either Dudley Town or, Dudley Area. I have a Dudley post code (DY) and I have a Dudley area code, (01384), my scout district is Dudley West, my local council is Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council and my local MP holds the Dudley South seat for parliment. I rest my case....

And no, not directly, we don't but some where in the past we must have. Both families have past links with the same geographic area.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
mbatham said:
I did not specify either Dudley Town or, Dudley Area. I have a Dudley post code (DY) and I have a Dudley area code, (01384), my scout district is Dudley West, my local council is Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council and my local MP holds the Dudley South seat for parliment. I rest my case....

And no, not directly, we don't but some where in the past we must have. Both families have past links with the same geographic area.
Its just that being a local,well just down the road many hate Brierley Hill being classed as Dudley,same as none wish in the Blackcountry to be called greater Birmingham as has be proposed ect.

Regarding the beer, :( damn and blarst, i hoping for trip round the brewary and a few free ales :D

mbatham

I wish there were a connection as I would have toured along time ago. I did get preferential treatment once in the Gilar Arms, purly because I ordered the food in the name of Matt Batham, their cheif brewer!

I don't mind being considered part of Dudley but totaly hate being called a Brummie!
"Wi'm Yams Yams!"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE