Bushcraft Knife Safety for Children

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
When I'm out with my son, he understands that he has to ask me before he's allowed to bring his knife. I might even remind him he's allowed to bring it. BUT I won't remind him to bring his FAK, and if he forgets it then the knife stays in its sheath. After a couple of angry/tearful moments, he never forgets the FAK now...

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
When I'm out with my son, he understands that he has to ask me before he's allowed to bring his knife. I might even remind him he's allowed to bring it. BUT I won't remind him to bring his FAK, and if he forgets it then the knife stays in its sheath. After a couple of angry/tearful moments, he never forgets the FAK now...

Excellent idea, I will save that for when I get to that stage, thanks. Just read the article myself, a good basic knife safety brief although I would say it is for adults just as much as kids - more for people new to knife handling regardless of age, anyone can cut themselves now can't they!

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
I regularly take my eldest daughter (33) my now almost 7year old grandson & 3 year old granddaughter my 16 year old son a friend his wife & 3 boys 9-15 years,camping in woods cooking on log fires.
The boys are given lessons on using knives & axes like those suggested in the article.
Before Christmas after asking his parents beforehand I gave my grandson the perfect first knife a Frosts of Mora "CLIPPER" in stainless steel (at age 7 years my daughter his mother had and could competently use for feathering fire wood & preparing food etc a 7" blade "Ontario" US Marines knife which we still have) I also gave my grandson a 1lb Kent pattern axe, I only had to remove 2 dings in the blade after a weekends firewood chopping, he did well feathering a few sticks with the knife.

However as suggested in the article all knives are locked in my briefcase (after cleaning) & the selection of axes put away.
I believe if taught respect for knives as TOOLS as I was, it will prevent problems in later life.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE