Bushcraft knife recommendation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 6, 2016
Peterborough
Hi all.

So, my good lady said she's going to buy me a knife from Santa. I've been looking at the TBS range, but are there others I'm missing?

Ideally, I want a bushcraft style, natural handle with a scandi grind in carbon steel flavour. I've not been told a budget, but she didn't freak out at the TBS prices, so I guess £100 -150 is where I want to be. I don't want to push my luck! Cheers in advance.

Gareth.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Tbs stuff is well made. Have a boar folder for edc. For that budget you got a whole lot of options. Helle make nice cutlery as well. More Scandinavian in style but really nice. I can't see past the stupidly simple Mora I have. Got some expensive blades but always go back to the mora. Light, cheap, scandi grind, carbon steel, most importantly: not afraid to use it or fear of losing it like my more expensive ones. But ye, helle Viking ? Is a nice knife I enjoy using. It's like a better quallity mora.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Here we go again...😏

Polecatsteve has nailed it...
You can't beat the Mora for function vs price.
And it won't matter if you lose it.

Mick91 of this parish makes really nice knives in that price range , and to your requirements...
Customised.

Hillbilly on here also makes beautiful knives , though I'm not sure what his prices are.

Worth asking the makers on here...

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
How are you at sharpening knifes, be better to mess about with a cheap knife first. Rather than spend a wedge on one, and ball's it up sharpening it.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
It's also important to see which ones fit your hand/style of using. I love my BCUK Spyderco knife but often return to a Mora or my original Puukko.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It's also important to see which ones fit your hand/style of using. I love my BCUK Spyderco knife but often return to a Mora or my original Puukko.

Absolutely! If you're using it for any amount of time, the handle size, shape and material will become increasingly important. Although you might not be able to use them or try them out, it's definitely worth trying to get a feel for them in the hand before you buy.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
If you're in Cambridge you can pop into Mackays on the Newmarket Road/East Road junction, they stock the excellent Hultafors range of knives. Not as cheap as buying from Heinnie, but you can handle before you buy. I bet you won't come out with just one!

Dave

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
Last edited:

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Got a TBS boar (stainless high carbon blade) kit a few months ago, its cuts beautifully, and the blade gets truly razor sharp, on par with my 01 carbon blade easily, and wears allot slower than both my other blades, 01 and stainless (something, dont remember)

not a hard build either (was my first attempt and was pleased with the result)

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
I like my Gary Mills Timberwolf, was a self build, which added a lot of fun, mine you it's dangerous to do...now I make and sell knives

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Well, if money ok, think about the Battle Horse Knives Bushcrafter - never got my hands on one, but know several Canadian friends who love them. They have universally good reviews too. If I could afford one, I'd indulge myself.

Dec 6, 2016
Peterborough
Thanks for all the replies guys. Very informative. I have an Enzo Trapper and damascus necker I made from a kit, they are cracking blades too. Will check out the recommendations.

Thanks again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE