Bushcraft is just a fascination with primitive technology.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What is Bushcraft for you?

• A set of survival skills.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Primitive technology.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • A 'less is more' philosophy.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • The woods, outdoors or the fauna and flora.

Votes: 27 43.5%
  • An excellent travel excuse.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • An extension of hunting/tracking.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Something else.

Votes: 18 29.0%

• Total voters

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I just like being comfortable in the outdoors, both in respects to confidence and familiarity within that environment.

I could pick many of the poll options as they're all part of the package.

i would agree with tony, for me its the skills to feel comfortable when i'm out getting free food. whether thats hunting or gathering things from around the wash and picking up my eel bags. nothing makes a joy a chore quoicker than feeling afraid or helpless. the advice and info from other members of this group and various books has made the job of food gathereing a joy and an education. straching the spirit, mind and emotions is something we all need to fight off dementias etc. if you dont use it, you loose it.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
For me it’s a number of your suggestions

Primitive skill interest me deeply and I find that learning them gives me a connection to our past and the landscape that I live in .

Being / living outside and being comfortable in the outdoors has been a part of my life from a very early age bushcarft is now the modern description of something I have done all my life it’s just brought it all together and given it a name. In bringing things together bushcarft has also opened up doors and made me look at other things I have never done tracking hunting archery trapping.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Well, I do it because I enjoy being outside, and I find nature fascinating.

The reason I enjoy the "bushcraft" side of the great outdoors is because I'm lazy and I'm usually skint. Why does that make me enjoy bushcraft? Because it's all about minimising effort and using freely available stuff! :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm struggling with this poll; I need an, "All of, or most of, the above" option, too.
I agree with everything that the others have said. I like to feel comfortable in myself when outside and away from all of the paraphernalia of modern life, and I've got busy hands so I enjoy traditional handcrafts and the bushcraft ethic of, "If you needed it, could you make it?" suits me down to the ground :D

Cheers,
Toddy

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
Bushcraft used to be my hobby which I gave up due to work demands :(

Now I spend most of my time working and studying in forests in the UK and the tropics,:D

This means bushcraft has frequently become part of my everyday life and not a hobby :)

It is not primitive in my mind just neglected or forgot skills here, some places I have work bushcraft has been in daily use for generations it is normally.

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
Sorry everyone, there are a lot more options I should have added if I'd put more thought into it, but I suppose the thread can expand on those.

To comment on what redflex said: I know 'primitive' is a loaded term, but personally I've always used it without much thought to mean anything not connected to the technology of our modern world. Primitive technology is just as advanced as any of our modern technologies; it probably requires more skill and intelligence to knap flint than it does to operate a computer (my five year old son can operate a computer sucessfully, but he'd have a lot of trouble understanding the principles of flintknapping).

Also, like jdlenton said: I became interested in survival skills as a teenager, and have been interested in primitive technology for a while, but one of the advantages of Bushcraft as an umberella term is that it's got me interested in all sorts of different related things. Like making spoons :lmao: .

Pappa

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
I dont know exactly ,I just feel more comfortable in the outdoors,more a spiritual
calmness it feels more of a natural place to be,I suppose all of the options would be part of it.
Clayton

Rod

On a new journey
Graywolf said:
...I just feel more comfortable in the outdoors, more a spiritual
calmness it feels more of a natural place to be...

I find a real sense of peace outdoors and enjoy being able to move through the landscape without doing it any harm to it. I can take what I need e.g. berries, fungi, tinder, firewood - but only what I need and be respectful to nature.

I suppose that it is about learning to understand my connection to the landscape and how I am a part of it. Towns and cities isolate and cut people off from it and so if I learn to look after it better - it will look after me. Once upon a time ago we did all live a lot closer to nature :borgsmile

ship

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2005
NE UK
marriage!!
put it this way:
mother nature may throw everything she,s got at ya one night, but then you awake to a marvellous sunrise and the dawn chorus.

the wife spits her dummy out and packs your,e bag one night, but then you awake to sweetness and light, and leg ov*r if your,e lucky.

serious now, i think its having the ability, skills and knowledge (not that i have, yet) to know you can survive and live in harmony with the enviroment you are in whatever the conditions, without causing harm to said enviroment and if possible helping to improve it.
but hey what do i know, i,m a newbie, which is being made more and more clear to me, the more of this forum i read, top forum and a big thx to all (esp.. the mods) for helping educate me in this art :beerchug:

ship(bags packed, wonder wot the morning brings :censored: :D )

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
its about realising food doesnt come out of plastic packets

heat doesnt appear at the flick of a switch

movement isnt the result of pushing a pedal

and knowledge doesnt always come out of a book

philosophy ? religion ? hobby ? all of them and much more :D

Tant, who walked 5 miles today just because he couldnt be bothered waiting on the bus and the sun was shining :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE