Bushcraft hygiene?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I was wandering what in the way of hygiene can you use when out in the sticks doing bushcraft?

I know in the past when doing re-enactment events when the only facilities where a couple of portaloos and no running water I used to take Alcohol hand gel to clean my hands after dropping a log but surely there must be more than just cleaning your hands before eating. For example if you get sweaty I would of though you would need to stay reasonably clean in certain body areas to prevent sore areas if your out for a long time?

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
On one or two nights personal hygiene is not a great issue for me.
I have just been In the Brecon Beacons for 5 nights with basic/no facilities, while I could have managed with a microfiber flannel, soap and towel and some alcohol hand rub which is all I normally take I did purchase some wipes from Boots for 89p and I think for convenience and "intimate hygiene" lol They were worth taking
I would love to try the Sage ones as they look great but the price is just too much for my pocket.Might look around the various supermarkets Chemist chains etc for a viable alternative though

Off for a shower now though-might break out a bar of Grandpas pine tar soap

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I usually take a collapsible wash bowl and a Ghillie kettle. Can't abide washing in cold water. I always take liquid soap in a recycled contact lens solution bottle.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Bio degradable, multi use, liquid soap for when water is not a problem.

Baby wipes for "Pits, bits & feet" when water is in short supply.

Alcohol gel on my knife belt for toilet breaks and / or first aid incidents.

Foot powder for the end of the day, after washing my feet.

Simon

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Last edited:

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
my dad uses the coal tar stuff and i always used to laugh until i actually used it, its got a strange earthy smell. I use it everday now

We are british! Rubbing coal essence on yourself is a national pride! Long live the use of fossil fuels

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
my dad uses the coal tar stuff and i always used to laugh until i actually used it, its got a strange earthy smell. I use it everday now

We are british! Rubbing coal essence on yourself is a national pride! Long live the use of fossil fuels

Sadly, if you read the review comments underneath the add, it says:

"Wrights alleged coal tar soap is not COAL TAR soap like it used to be, it is now so called in their words 'traditional soap' with coal tar fragrance. I have two bars of Wrights COAL TAR soap which are twenty or so years old and no mention of the words 'traditional' or 'fragrance' to be seen. PS I have used other soaps since!."

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
like someone said above 1 or 2 nites no big deal..but i still take a basic Hygine kit carried in a small nylon ditty bag..i'm kind of old fashion in the contents i carry..i try real hard not to use disposable items thats just me(exclude TP)..i carry a small wash cloth,small bottle of camp suds,foot powder,tooth brush and paste,small hand mirrior,comb (for hair and jumping cactus),old ww2 razor and lastly a cut down scrub pad for pots and pans..if i feel the need to get clean i heat up some water in my canteen cup add some camp suds add my wash cloth and rub down my body with a hot soapy cloth...and repeat with a rinse..other than that in the morning i just brush my teeth and wash my face...vince g. 11B Inf...

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
All I take is a toothbrush.

When I get home from a trip, my wife dons her respirator ( with the special scented carbon filter ) and hoses me down, before scrubbing me with carbolic soap and the yard brush. As I dry naturally by running naked around the garden, she burns my thermals, before passing my other clothing through my grandmother's mangle to kill anything that's survived contact with me. Only then am I allowed in the house.

God alone knows what I'd have to go through if I stayed out for more than one night.

Cheers, Michael.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Toothbrush and paste, alcohol gel and baby wipes live in my kit. That and a beer towel. Always gonna get sooty hands with Hobo stuff! Takes very little room and always usefull. Alcohol gel is good to lightfire too, beer towel wipes up pots as well...

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Biodegradeable soap, a small towel, bog-roll, toothpaste and brush is all I carry.

IMHO hands washed in soap are just as clean as they are after alcohol and more so if you have any visible dirt to get off.

I do carry alcohol, but it's for other emergencies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE