Bushcraft hats...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Had thought about it, I figured Brazilians don't graft at the same pace as us , and are naturally acclimated to the weather. Plus it depend s if they are entirely canvas or canvas/plastic like our wagon tarps......

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

"don't graft at the same pace as us" ? Eh? That's. Bit bigoted isn't it.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Not really, from my experience, folk in countries with such climates seem more relaxed in how they go about their work.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
jeeeez,....

i hope thats not true,...

imagine a world where the UK work ethic is considered better than the rest of the worlds,...

i dread to think,...

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
They look great! Not a big fan of expensive leather hats when I'm out and about so this could well be an excellent alternative. Currently wearing an old fabric "tilley" style hat which has seen better days.

Cheers

Dr O

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
jeeeez,....

i hope thats not true,...

imagine a world where the UK work ethic is considered better than the rest of the worlds,...

i dread to think,...

I'm talking abaht grafters, not mechanics n bus drivers :screwy: ;)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Good thread, I've just written a review for one of these and i'm very impressed with it, I'll have the review up in a few days and I'll link through to here goodjob

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My experience of southamerica says our wrong.

Mine also. There's are reasons our jobs ("our" as in the developped western nations) are being "outsourced." And it ain't just because they get less pay overseas.

I'll agree though that in the warmer climates they usually do know WHEN to work best; and they'll usually try to avoid the hottest part of the day IF possible.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
does anyone know if these hats are "scrunchable" yet ?

All hats are scrunchable (although some take quite an effort). It is the unscrunching that is problematic.

I've ordered one and I'll give you my opinion if the question hasn't been answered by the time it arrives.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Thank you, i really want to order one but need to know if i can stuff it in a pack or pocket when not being used.

looking forward to your reply.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
does anyone know if these hats are "scrunchable" yet ?

From the thread going on over on BCUSA I gather that the answer is, "sorta." You can BUT... it will take on a crease (or creases) if you scrunch too small and the wire in the brim edge might take a permanent bend.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thank you, i really want to order one but need to know if i can stuff it in a pack or pocket when not being used.

looking forward to your reply.

Why not just get the chin strap (or make your own) and just hang it onto something?

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
Sort of seems about right. They arrive packed in what can only be described as a 'pizza box', so they will certainly pack flat. Screwed up is another matter, however, as the wire used for stiffening the brim feels quite brittle, if that's the right word, and likely to take on a permanent kink. Flat packed, these hats should tuck down the back of a rucksack pretty successfully...

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Sort of seems about right. They arrive packed in what can only be described as a 'pizza box', so they will certainly pack flat. Screwed up is another matter, however, as the wire used for stiffening the brim feels quite brittle, if that's the right word, and likely to take on a permanent kink. Flat packed, these hats should tuck down the back of a rucksack pretty successfully...

Mine arrived this morning. I'd agree with the previous posts on scrunchability. Flat yes, scrunched into a ball no. I think the wire brim would suffer and the canvas crease up if completely scrunched.

Otherwise, I ordered yesterday so very quick delivery. My hat isn't patched but looks great and feels nice on - I'm wearing it now :). I think this is going to see a lot of use.

Correction: My hat is patched but I was blind and didn't notice. For me the patches neither add to nor detract from the overall look anyway.

Last edited:

PeteD

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Got myself one of these the other day and, I must say, it's got lots of character! A few patches and stains on mine, it looks lovely! Have worn it walking the dogs in the local woods and it kept the rain off very well.

As the wife really liked my hat, I ordered another one for her, which has just arrived, with a lovely note from the company, thanking me for my repeat business and, enclosed, 2 FREE chinstraps. Can't fault that for customer service! I'd recommend these to anyone.

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
Here you go, complete with a new leather BCUK badge, as promised!!!!!

hatbadge.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE