bushcraft fishing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
william# said:
anyone got any tips on bushcraft fishing without being a poacher ?
uk based of course
Buy a fishing licence and get permission to fish from the holder of the 'rights' for the water.
Other than that,trout or grayling are easiest caught on worms. Its not as sporting as flys, but more productive if your hungry.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
... and use a rod / pole (made on spot) from a tree branch - as handlines are (IIRC (mostly) everywhere in the UK) illegal.
Maybe it's a good idea to check with your local fishing club for local bylaws?

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
One of the problems with some of the standard coarse fishing waters is that the license doesn't allow you to keep what you catch. Where we live, and old statute allows residents to fish free (not even a national rod license required) in the Thames through town and about a mile upstream and downstream from the town boundary...

...but, anything caught must be put back. Then again, the small roach and perch I normally get aren't really worth eating.

But, with the increasing occurrence of the American crayfish, I'm wondering about the regulations regarding crayfish trapping - and whether they are safe to eat from our rivers.

Geoff

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
you are all kind of confirming what i thought that its really not viable to use this skill in the uk.
think i may look into getting a cheap sea fishing kit for nights on the beach.
i understandthe licence thing and certainly if i decide to fish in land i will get one its just the whole rimorale of then finding landowners permission and probably having to pay out more just to be there and as you can not cook and keep what yu get -makes this a skill in the uk that is not really practicle to practice.
im not really keen on becoming a full time angler but just as my wild food is more of a dabble i would like to be able to supplement my camp rations with a bit of wild game .
i supose icould go back to the air rifle and geting permission from farmers again back to rabbits and squirels lol
but again means heavy kit kinda not what im looking for.
ho hum gues the lightweightfishing rod i just bought is going to be a bit of a white elephant

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I think that most trout fishing waters allow you to keep at least some of what you catch - but as I've never tried this I don't know what sort of cost might be involved.

You probably need to be a member of a club or syndicate in order to fish these (probably private) waters (or pay some sort of day ticket rate).

I don't know how much it is policed in general, but when fishing in our town waters I have twice been asked by a bailiff for my license.

Geoff

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
This may seem a silly idea, so please ignore it if you think it is :) .

Given that we are living a technologically advanced society, doing bushcraft is to some extent a game, albeit a game that can be very rewarding. I am still in the early stages of the learning process, but living in a town means that I cannot go and live in the woods overnight, so I have to pretend at the bottom of my garden for most of the time. The benefit of this is that I can practise skills in an environment where it doesn't really matter if I make mistakes - but it does mean that when I do get to go out, I will be reasonably able to do the things that I need to do (e.g. light a fire, cook food, purify water).

I don't think this is too unrealistic, because the people in, say, the stone age would have been brought up to light fire by flint, butcher animals, so when they grew up and had to do it for themselves, they would know what to do. This is where I think that some of the TV programs (e.g. castaway, Edwardian House) are unrealistic because they are putting people in a completely unfamiliar situation. In reality, people who grew up in the Edwardian era would be completely familiar with the technology of the time and would not therefore find it difficult to, for example, wash clothes by hand.

Anyway, back to my point. My suggestion is that when you are in the situation that you can do so, go out and catch fish and prepare and eat what you catch. But when you are not in that situation, e.g. as I am in a town where I can go coarse fishing but have to put back everything I catch you could go fishing and catch something and put it back, but on the way home, go to the local trout farm and buy a whole trout, take it home and prepare and eat it.

In logical terms, you have caught fish, prepared it and eaten it. I know it isn't as 'real' as actually eating the fish that you caught, but it does practise the skills that you need so that when you are in a situation that you can catch fish to eat, you will be all the more prepared to do so.

Maybe a silly philosophical argument, but one that I find helps me to 'do bushcraft' in a town.

Geoff

S

shaunmcdonald

I do like that way of thinking dgcalvert :)
I only ever go fishing when we are by the coast and for the last few years have had our holidays on some very nice campsites. Last year we was on the loch side across from the isle of jurra in scotland and everynight we had fresh fish for supper cooked on the beach fire.
I was also quite supprised how the kids took to the fact that dad was going to get some really tasty fish to eat :)
And after finding an abandoned lobster pot and spending 2 hours repairing it after 4 days off puting it out we had fresh lobster and an edible crab :) 20 minutes from seeing it in the pot it was breakfast :)
We had to use the kids dinghy to put the pot out, we must have looked a sight ....

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
If you want to eat what you catch then you'll be heading towards one of the big trout fisheries, for your cash (£30+) you'll get to keep the first couple of fish, problem being there's no keep net's allowed so the chances are your first couple which you'll keep will be tidlers then the 4th that takes you over the limit will weight 10lbs :rolleyes: . Also most are fly only (though this is good fun) and you'll need a rod licence aswell. check out this site if your interested and have other Q's it's very good http://www.fishingmagic.com/ :)

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Fish in the sea. No license needed and you're more likely to catch something big enough to eat.

At the moment there is no need for a sea fishing license in the UK but plans are afoot.............
http://www.sea-fishing-reports.co.uk/2007/05/08/the-sea-angling-licence-debate/

This has been talked about for a while on and off and maybe introduced in 2009 as things are going at the moment. I'm going to start a new thread in FAIR GAME as to what people think about this. It's sort of the last non-taxed, non illegal, non have to ask land owners permission, get a permit, or some other restrction left in the UK and I've got mixed feelings. :(

reddeath

Forager
Jul 29, 2007
Kilkenny, ROI
Have to say i think Dcalvert's way of thinking is superb - definately practical and making the most of your situation - may not be everyones cup of tea but im gonna poach this idea and allow myself to 'practise' bushcraft when at home
thanks

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
There is an old disused Jetty near me that is situated on a tidal river which I go out onto on a falling tide, all I use is a hand line with a treble hook on the end and a 4oz weight about 1-1.5 ft from the end. For bait I use a piece of silver foil. I then spin the bait in a circle in the water and the fish (Mackeral and Bass mainly) commit mass suicide its great. I have never failed to catch fish this way, its a winner. and because its a tidal river I don't need a licence.:D

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
For information, the coarse fishing bylaws are as follows, there are regional variations to take into account as well.

In reference to Signal Crayfish, if you catch a signal crayfish it is illegal to return it to the water as it is an alien species, and as long as they are cooked properly they are perfectly safe to eat from all waterways in the UK.

The bylaws for the Southern Region (where i live) are as follows:

ENVIRONMENT AGENCY
SOUTHERN REGION FISHERIES BYELAWS
Update 2002/03

1. Application of Byelaws

These Byelaws shall apply to the Southern Region of the Environment Agency with the exception of the catchment of the Rivers Darent and Cray in Kent where Thames Region Byelaws apply.

2. Interpretation

(a) Under the Transitional Provisions of the Water Act 1989, Environment Act 1995 and the associated Orders references in these Byelaws to the Southern Water Authority are shown below as the Environment Agency or the Agency.

(b) Other expressions shall have the meaning assigned to them by Section 41(1) of the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975.

(c) In these Byelaws unless the context otherwise requires:-
"Agency" means the Environment Agency;

(d) "Southern Region" means the area of the Agency where the former Southern Region of the National Rivers Authority carried out its functions in relation to fisheries under the Water Resources Act 1991;

(e) The meaning of the word drain shall not be confined to that assigned to it by the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975 or the Water Resources Act 1991.

(f) Any lake, reservoir or pond which discharges to any river, stream, canal or drain shall not itself be regarded as a river, stream, canal or drain.

(g) Non-native fish means either fish species not ordinarily resident in England or Wales or species included in Part 1 of Schedule 9 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

3. NATIONAL BYELAW 3 PHASE 1 Migratory Salmonid Catch Returns
Replaces Regional Byelaw 3
Confirmed 18th Dec 1996
Date of implementation 31st Dec 1996

(1) All licensed salmon and sea trout anglers must make a return by 1st January in the following year. This includes "Nil" returns. The return form is attached to the angler's rod licence.

(2) All licensed salmon and sea trout netsmen must make monthly returns within 7 days of the end of each month during the fishing season. This includes "Nil" returns. Agency Regions shall provide return forms to licensed netsmen.

4. Annual Close Season for Salmon (Rod and Line)
The annual Close Season for fishing for salmon with rod and line shall be the period between October 2nd and January 17th following. Dates not inclusive.

5. Annual Close Season for Migratory Trout (Rod and Line)

The annual Close Season for migratory trout with rod and line shall be the period between October 31st and May 1st following. Dates not inclusive.

6. Annual Close Season for Non-Migratory including Rainbow Trout
The annual Close Season for fishing for non-migratory trout with rod and line on all waters shall be the period between October 31st and April 3rd following. Dates not inclusive.
EXCEPT THAT – Please see National Byelaw 7 Phase 1 – Rainbow Trout Close Season

7. Prohibited Modes of Fishing
During the annual Close Season for freshwater fish (the period between March 14th and June 16th) no person shall fish with rod and line for salmon, migratory trout or non-migratory trout (including rainbow trout), other than with an artificial fly or lure, without the previous consent of the Agency in writing.

8 Prohibited Instruments
The use of any instrument (not being a fixed engine) for taking salmon, trout or freshwater fish is hereby prohibited. Provided that this Byelaw shall not apply to:

(a) the use of rod and line (which shall not be left unattended) and a landing net or tailer used as auxiliary to angling with rod and line;

(b) the use of a licensed net for salmon or migratory trout;

(c) the use with previous consent in writing of the Agency of any instrument in connection with:

(i) stocking, restocking or breeding fish

(ii) scientific purposes

(iii) improvement or preservation of a several fishery

(iv) any other purpose approved by the Agency

(d) the use of any instrument by an officer of the Environment Agency acting in their official capacity.

8A.Prohibition on the use of lead weights

(i) Subject to paragraph (ii) below, no person shall on or after June 1st 1987 use for taking salmon, trout, freshwater fish or eels in any waters within the Southern Region Fisheries Area any fishing line to which is attached, directly or indirectly, any lead in the form of a lead weight.

(ii) Paragraph (i) above dose not prohibit the use of a lead weight 0.06 grams or less, or of more than 28.35 grams.

Interpretation

For the purpose of this Byelaw: “lead” includes any alloy or compound of lead; “lead weight” means split or shot or any other thing suitable for weighting fishing lines which is neither incorporated and fully enclosed in the core of the fishing line, nor incorporated in the construction of a swim-feeder, self-cocking float or a fishing lure; “
fishing lure” means any device, including a fishing fly, which is designed to attract fish and which incorporates a fishing hook.

9. Taking of Undersized Trout

No person shall take any trout of a size less than hereinafter specified: migratory trout 38cm; non-migratory trout 23cm. The size shall be measured from the tip of the snout to the fork or cleft of the tail when the fish is laid flat.

PROVIDED that this Byelaw shall not apply to any person who: (a) takes any undersized trout unknowingly or unintentionally if he at once returns it to the water with as little injury as possible or: (b) with the previous consent in writing of the Agency (which may be given subject to such conditions as the Agency thinks fit), takes any undersized trout for scientific purpose or for the purpose of protecting, improving or replacing stocks of fish.
(c) being the owner or occupier of a fish farm (or the servant or agent of any such owner or occupier) takes any undersized trout from that fish farm.

10. Annual Close Season for Salmon and Migratory Trout (Netting

The annual Close Season for fishing for salmon and migratory trout otherwise than with rod and line, shall be the period between July 31st and February 15th following.

11. The Weekly Close Season for fishing for Salmon and Migratory Trout other than with Rod and Line

The weekly Close Season for fishing for salmon and migratory trout otherwise than with rod and line, shall be the period between the hour of 6.00 on Saturday morning and the hour of 6.00 on the following Monday morning.

12.Kind of nets that may be lawfully used for Salmon and Migratory Trout.

The length, size and description of nets, and the manner for using the same (not being with fixed engines) which may be lawfully used for taking salmon or migratory trout in the Southern Region Fisheries Area shall be as follows:
Draft or Seine nets:

Such nets shall be armoured nets, consisting of a single sheet or wall of netting not more than 185 metres in length measured along the head rope when wet, and not more than 7.5 metres in depth and shall be used by holding one end of the net on the shore or bank, and shooting the net from a boat which shall start from such a shore or bank and return without delay to the shore or bank from which it started, and then drawing the net to
such a shore or bank.

13. Night netting

The use in any inland water in the Southern Region Fisheries Area of any net for the taking of fish except a landing net or eel net between the expiration of the first hour after sunset and the commencement of the last hour before sunrise is hereby prohibited.

14. Numbering of Nets

Each licence for a net shall be distinguished by a number. The label issued by the Agency with each licence and bearing the number of such licence shall be attached and shall be maintained attached, to the head-rope of the net for the use of which the licence is granted.

15. Carrying of Unlicensed nets

The carrying in a boat or vessel whilst being used in fishing for salmon or trout any unlicensed net, other than a landing net, or of any licensed net which does not have attached to the label prescribed in byelaw 14 is hereby prohibited.

16. Fixed Engines

"The placing and use of Fyke nets and other fixed engines is hereby authorised in the circumstances described below:"

(a) Fyke nets may be placed and used for the purposes of taking eels subject to the following conditions.

i. The net and leader shall be constructed of a material with a mesh size of not less than 19mm and not greater than 36mm full stretched mesh, if knotted, and not less than 12mm and not greater than 23mm internal diameter, if knotless.

ii. The leader length shall not exceed 10 metres and its height shall not be greater than the net aperture.

iii. The net aperture shall not exceed one metre at its widest point

iv.Each net placed and used alone or each string of nets shall be attached to a buoy.

(b)Traps other than fyke nets may be placed and used for taking eels subject to the following conditions.

Either

(a) they consist on an implementation USED ON OR BEFORE the 1st day of March 1988 fixed to the bed of an inland water such that eels may be separated from the body of water by a system of bars, grids or meshes and from which the trapped eels are prevented from escaping or

(b) they consist of other implements subject to the following conditions:

i. there shall be no leader

ii. the dimensions shall not exceed 2.0 x 0.75 x 0.75 metres

iii they shall be constructed of a material with a mesh size of not less than 19mm and not greater than 36mm full stretched mesh, if knotted, and not less than 12mm and not greater than 23mm internal diameter, if knotless.

(c) Owners of fish farms and their agents and employees in the normal course of business may use any fixed engine, within the confines of their fish farms, for taking or facilitating the taking of salmon and trout (including Rainbow Trout) reared on the premises or freshwater fish or eels.

(d)Officers of the Agency, and other persons with the previous written consent of the Agency, may use any fixed engine for taking or facilitating the taking of salmon, trout, rainbow trout, freshwater fish or eels for scientific purposes or for the better management, protection preservation and improvement of any fisheries in the Agency's area.

In this byelaw unless the context otherwise require:

"Fixed Engine" shall have the same meaning as in the Salmon and Freshwaters Fisheries Act 1975. "Freshwater Fish" shall have the same meaning as in the Salmon and Freshwaters Fisheries Act 1975; "Inland Water" has the same meaning as in the Water Resources Act 1991.

NOTE: Please refer to the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975 Section 25 for licencing requirements.
NATIONAL FISHERIES BYELAWS
PHASE 1

4. Use of a Gaff
Confirmed 14th March 1997
Date of implementation 1st April 1997
The use of a gaff is prohibited at all times when fishing for salmon, trout, freshwater fish or freshwater eels.

5. Keepnets, keepsacks and landing nets
Confirmed 14 March 1997
Date of implementation 1 April 1998

(1). A person shall be guilty of an offence if, after 1 April 1998, he uses: -

(a) A landing net with any knotted meshes or meshes of metallic material or

(b) A keepnet;

(i) With any knotted meshes or meshes of metallic material; or

(ii) Having any holes in the mesh larger than 25mm internal circumference; or

(iii) Of less than 2.0 metres in length; or

(iv) With supporting rings or frames greater than 40cm apart (excluding the distance from the top frame to the first supporting ring or frame) or less than 120cm in circumference.

(c) A keepsack;

(i) Not constructed of a soft, dark coloured, non-abrasive, water permeable fabric; or

(ii) Having dimensions of less than 120cm by 90cm if rectangular; or

(iii) 150cm by 30cm by 40cm if used with a frame or designed with the intention that a frame be used.

(2) Any person shall be guilty of an offence if, after 1April 1998, he retains more than one fish in a single keepsack at any time.

(3) This byelaw shall not apply to any keepnet or keepsack used for retaining eels which have been legally taken by instruments other than rod and line.

(4) This byelaw was made taking account of the requirement for notification to the European Commission under
Council Directive 83/189/EEC.

6. Coarse Fish Close Season
(Amended)
Confirmed 14 March 2000 (England)
Confirmed 2 March 2001 (Wales)
Date of implementation 15 March 2000 (England)

Date of implementation 15 March 2001 (Wales)
The annual coarse fish close season (15 March to 15 June inclusive) applies to the following waters:

(a) All rivers, streams and drains;

(b) In all waters in the Sites of Special Scientific Interest and the Broads;
Note: Eels - There is no close season on those waters where the statutory close season for freshwater fish has been dispensed with.

7. Rainbow Trout Close Season
There is no annual close season for fishing for rainbow trout by rod and line in all reservoirs, lakes and ponds.

9. Brown Trout Close Season
Confirmed 14 March 1997
Date of implementation 1 April 1997
All waters are subject to an annual brown trout close season, although dates vary according to local byelaws.

8. Use of rods
Rod limits
TYPES OF FISH RIVERS, STREAMS, DRAINS
& CANALS.
RESERVOIRS, LAKES &
PONDS
Salmon
Sea Trout (Migratory trout)
1 ROD 2 RODS*
Trout (Non-migratory)
Char
1 ROD 2 RODS*
Coarse Fish & Eels 4 RODS*
* 2 licences required
When fishing with more than one rod and line at the same time, the aggregate number must not exceed a total of four.

When fishing with multiple rods and lines, rods must be placed such that the distance between the butts of the end rods does not exceed three metres.

Note: The above rod limits are subject to the correct number of rod licences being held.

• A salmon & sea trout licence authorises only one rod per licence when fishing for salmon, sea trout or trout, or two rods per licence when fishing for coarse fish and eels.
• A trout and coarse licence authorises one rod when fishing for trout or two rods when fishing for coarse fish and eels.

NATIONAL BYELAWS PHASE 2

3. Use of Crayfish as Bait
Confirmed 26th May 2001
Date of implementation 27th May 2001
Any person who in fishing for salmon, trout, freshwater fish or eels, uses as bait crayfish of any species whether alive or dead, or parts thereof, shall be guilty of an offence.

4. Otter Guards

Confirmed 26th May 2001
Date of implementation 25th June 2001

(i) Failure to fit an otter guard to all eel fyke nets and eel traps where the entrance to the net or trap is greater than 95 millimetres internal diameter shall be an offence.

(ii) The otter guard shall consist of either :-

(a)tightly stretched flexible netting with a mesh size measured when wet of not more than 75 mm knot to knot or 300mm round the perimeter; or

(b)a rigid square grid with bars separated by not more than 85mm; or

(c)a rigid ring with internal diameter of not more than 95mm; and shall be fitted to the funnel leading to the first chamber of the net or trap.

(iii)The requirement for otter guards shall extend to the 6 mile limit in coastal waters.

7. Return of Foul Hooked Fish
Confirmed 26th May 2001

It shall be an offence to fail to return immediately all salmon, migratory trout or trout, hooked other than in the mouth or throat, to any river, stream, drain or canal.

8. Use of Live Fish for Bait
Confirmed 26th May 2001

Any person who takes fish for use as live bait shall be guilty of an offence unless the fish are retained at and used only in the water from which they were taken.

This byelaw shall not apply to any fish introduced as live bait under and in accordance with a consent issued under Section 30 of the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975.

9. Eel Net Catch Returns
Confirmed 26th May 2001

Any person to whom a licence is issued by the Agency to fish with any instrument other than rod and line for eels shall, within 30 days of the expiry of the licence (or by 31 July for elvers), make a return on a form provided by the Agency giving details of the number of days fished, the location and type of water fished, the total weight of eels and/or elvers caught by that instrument and retained or (as the case may be) a statement that no eels or elvers have been caught and retained for each month during the licence period or be guilty of an offence.

10.Unattended rods
Confirmed 26th May 2001

Any person who leaves a rod and line with its bait or hook in the water unattended or so that the person shall be unable at any time to take or exercise sufficient control over said rod and line shall be guilty of an offence.

Hope this helps.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Have to say i think Dcalvert's way of thinking is superb - definately practical and making the most of your situation - may not be everyones cup of tea but im gonna poach this idea and allow myself to 'practise' bushcraft when at home
thanks

Thanks for the compliments.

But don't say "poaching" - say "sharing" :), 'cos in my experience that's what I get from this forum - help and advice freely given with no strings attached. If I can give a little bit back, I'm happy to do so. Be nice if the whole world was like that. :cool:

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE