Bushcraft First aid course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I'm not really sure where this should go, either here or in the "meet" section but because it is skills training I've posted it here.
In light of the recent close encounter of the axe / ankle kind with Russ up at the Ne'erday meet at Comriecroft, along with recent threads on first aid, Toddy suggested a possible first aid training weekend, sort of meet cum training weekend if you like, specifically for folks who wanted to learn and update their first aid skills and knowledge. Training would be based on standard first aid subjects but with an "in the field" slant for what we may encounter when out n about, by ourselves or at meets. The usual practical first aid course runs over a full 2 days and typically costs around £60 per head including manual.
So here's the deal.
A full normal weekend, arriving Friday, leaving Sunday would most likely be insufficient time for it unless people were prepared to stay a bit later on the Sunday till maybe 5.00pm, this would give us a full day (9.00 - 5.00) Saturday and Sunday to cover the training. We would want a hall or equivelent so no weather disruptions. Everyone to cook their own food for breakfast and dinner with possibly a pre prepared lunch laid on if I can swing it, by a non participating helper. Possibility of tea and coffee laid on for morning and afternoon breaks.
Venue
I'm in discussion with George from Comriecroft for use of their place and the use of their hall for the training, which gives me electrical power for the theoretical content equipment.
Dates
This part has still to be sorted and confirmed but I am going for April / May possibly as there are no dates available between June and August, but will confirm as soon as this is sorted to give everyone a decent bit of notice.
Costs
The costs would be the standard fee of £8.00 per head per night for pitch, and the cost of the hall rental is £60 per day so £120 for the weekend. This works out so far at approx £26 per head for the weekend based on 12 attendees.
I have given this quite some thought about the training costs, and, I reckon the skills and knowledge of current first aid practice is more important than a certificate to say you have done the training, also the difficulty in registering the course through HQ, and of usual training costs, therefore so that this opportunity is open to all, no matter their financial status I would offer the training on a purely donation basis. I'll provide the kit and the training, you pay for your weekend as normal, and provide a reasonable donation to the Red Cross individually in an envelope provided by me and returned to me on the Sunday.
If I can persuade SWMBO to help me out with the training, she is also a trainer, she is an expert in casualty simulation and takes great delight in very realistic and gory, messy wound simulations, her favourite is the pumping severed arterial bleed, so be warned this is not for the squeamish and very realistic.
I have based the costs on 12 people attending but if SWMBO will come then we can take nearly twice that. Everyone attending will be provided with some basic materials such as dressings and bandages plus gloves for practice, these you keep at the end of the training.
I must point out that this is a dedicated first aid course weekend and the timings must be adhered to in order to cover the whole content of the subjects so no lie ins possible and breakfast must be done and dusted before 09.00hrs. Sorry if this appears harsh but it is necessary. Course will/may not finish till 17.00 Sunday so if your kit is not packed by 09.00 it will have to wait till after 17.00 and course finish, although the days should be a bit longer by then.
OK to summarise then, a dedicated first aid course with an "in the field" slant held over a weekend, possibly April/May (TBC) 09.00 - 17.00 Saturday and Sunday, lunch may be provided but all other cooking done in the usual way, cost per head £26 to cover pitch and hall rental, plus an individual donation from everyone for the training. To be held at Comriecroft and with materials provided.

Anyone interested? Looking for 12 in the first instance but can possibly take up to 24.

Alex UK

Feb 5, 2009
Devon
Sniper,

This is a great idea. I'd be more than willing to do one for the folks down south if anyone is interested.

With my 'please don't sue me' hat on, I must point out that as these courses are not HSE courses, they do not make you a First Aider or an Appointed Person. However, I've always found that people who go on a first aid course because they want to are usually better at it then the ones who have been made to go on one by work!

Alex

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Spot on Alex, I think the knowledge and skills and not the certificate, is the important thing here, although no qualification at the end it will be a learning or updating thing for folks.
Sam, you and the wife would be more than welcome mate but thats a helluva long way to travel for it, especially if Alex has in mind doing one down his neck of the woods. If you wish to attend then I would suggest taking the extra night and travel back down on the Monday if that's possible cos to finish a full day at 17.00 then drive back to Bedfordshire would take a lot out of you.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Sam, no worries buddy, it would be a lot easier on you if you can get one closer but your still welcome if you can't make Alex's.

Ok folks let's get a list started to keep track

Korvin Karbon
Big Geordie + 1
Gailainne

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
The list so far is

Korvin Karbon
Big Geordie + 1
Gailainne
Bigshot + 1

Are there anymore interested in this cos we need at least double this to make it viable to run? I think Toddy and Russ expressed an interest but that isn't confirmed yet, come on folks if you are up for this then please add your name.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE