Bushcraft Etiquette (resurrected)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I only wish I had pink cammo! My latest hat bought this summer is a barman canvas drover from aussie land. Lovely and cool this past hot summer, and it stopped my delicate little snozzle from burning. It's my favourite hat. They don't do them in pink tho. Anyway I'm not a "pink"sort of girl.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Welcome, Van. Change hats as often as you like.

Look over the variety of colors in Peruvian chullo. Hope everybody sees one to suit their fancy.
Fantastic at -20C.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I only wish I had pink cammo! My latest hat bought this summer is a barman canvas drover from aussie land. Lovely and cool this past hot summer, and it stopped my delicate little snozzle from burning. It's my favourite hat. They don't do them in pink tho. Anyway I'm not a "pink"sort of girl.

Nor is my wife. Same with red. I have talk her into wearing red dresses too.....takes forever.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Dress???what's that? Jeans,(at a pinch shorts), t shirt,and a jumper of some sort if it's cold.that'll do me! No make up... don't own any. If I'm not good enough ennaturel, tuff! I spend my life out in the garden or woods. Never heard a bird or rabbit complain yet. You'd never get me in a red dress for all the log cabins in the world!!!!!:)

Reactions: Janne

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
All along Highway 16 in western Canada, red dresses hanging in the trees are symbols of remembrance for more
than a thousand missing and murdered indigenous women. They will never see another Christmas or their families.
There are red dress symbols attached to sign posts for a thousand miles (and one on my front door.)

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Dress???what's that? Jeans,(at a pinch shorts), t shirt,and a jumper of some sort if it's cold.that'll do me! No make up... don't own any. If I'm not good enough ennaturel, tuff! I spend my life out in the garden or woods. Never heard a bird or rabbit complain yet. You'd never get me in a red dress for all the log cabins in the world!!!!!:)
Where are you? Are you single.... lmfao. (Just kidding, no offence, not a stalker, all in jest...... )

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Possum hats are OK too!
You mean you do not have a hat with big, bold letters that say "Woodlore" on it?

You should put that on your Santa wishlist!
Truth be told I'm far from immune to the charms or otherwise of so-called "Label" branded product but in my defence I very seldom see such items as other than something that could be 'improved' upon and, at the risk of a certain immodesty, c/o these hands!

K

Reactions: Janne

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Got plenty of experience. I graduated from the university of life! Not all lessons were good. Still learning and hope to never stop. It's not been an easy life.. but it's been a life. What I've been through could have made me a grumpy old woman but I like to laugh and hope I have kept a sense of humour . The wild has kept me sane and I keep fighting. Tragedy bad luck illness had more than my fair share. But it's all experience. Wouldn't life be boring if it went along on rails? You gotta get up and out there. Recently gone back to being an environmental activist... not like when I was a kid... don't intend any arresting moments, ! but it gives life a purpose . Meet good people and realise you can't just dip out of things because you don't like them. Some pals call me "stands with a fist" after the woman in the film dances with wolves. Sometimes you can dance with wolves too. The simple life does for me nowadays. To get back to the thread my adage would be treat others as you would like them to treat you. So I'd like a hug and a silly joke please!!!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
No matter how old an/or wise, we all sadly fall under the spell of a logo and brand name....

I modified that fishing hat by attaching a piece of mum's old net curtain. I am sure I looked like total idjot, but it worked. Very few gnats or mozzies bit me.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well almost everything has a logo or brand name.... I go for what my wallet affords and what is practical for my needs. If it has a brand such as vango.. Fjallraven. . Or msr that's a point aside.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It was an interesting ramble of a thread, and we all learned something from it (as we did from the earlier one on the topic)
Folks are funny about some things, and we're not all 'funny' about the same things, it was a kind of salutary lesson on seeing things through other folks eyes.
Tolerance and patience are very good things, but sometimes our courtesy deserts us when we are really irked.
Those first big meet ups were filled with anticipation and good intentions, but reality is that not everyone is ever going to get on with everyone else, and we had to sort of clear the air a bit sometimes.

Cobweb ( nor Wayland in the earlier thread) really did not mean the thread to devolve into sniping, disdain, and flouncing off. Most folks didn't take it that way, but there are even now those who just see it as an offence. LIttle things become huge issues, so the thread was a kind of simple please don't do this, and this is why.

Personally I thought nothing of burning paper on a fire, but others take offence because they're going to cook on it, even if they're not cooking on it right at that moment. I'm a tidy up as a I go camper, and I hate seeing rubbish lying around or plastic bags full. Burning as much as I can seemed practical, but it doesn't work so well on a shared fire.
We live and learn.
Some parents are happy for their children to light sticks from the fire and wave the lit stick around, while other adults (me for one) are most uncomfortable with children doing just that.....and parents can be really, really, irked at someone else refusing their pre school age children access to the fire to do just that. Been there, had the row, still don't think it right for any other adult to have to deal with someone else's unattended child doing such at their fire.....as I said, we all have to see things through other folks eyes sometimes. Daddy took child off and lit his own fire, and had to keep his attention firmly on child himself. At the end of the weekend he made a point of telling me it was my fault they wouldn't be back. Y'can't win sometimes, not even when trying to be reasonable and explain quietly and simply.

So when someone like Cobweb starts a thread like this, instead of stomping and throwing a hissy fit, it would be appreciated if folks might quietly read through, absorb, comment and see where folks are coming from on it.

Most of the those who went to the first (and indeed later) meet ups had never met each other before. That so many truly excellent camps and friendships came from it is a quiet pleasure. I've camped with people I only knew through the forum from one end of the country to the other, there are an awful lot of decent folk around :) I hope the newbies end up joining the company too :D

M

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I don't feel anything. I don't physically introduce myself in such a way. I was following the theme of the thread, which appears (at least to me) to be a sounding board for folks to voice what they dislike about what can happen at a meet. My personality is my own. I don't force it upon anyone, nor do I wish anyone to force their personality on me. When we use phrases that include 'I' or 'my' we are being subjective. Your interpretation of my personality is also subjective. It's your opinion. Which you are of course more than entitled to. I don't expect you to adhere to my opinion at all, as I will not adhere to yours. Good day sir.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Fair enough and if you really are committed to the Greta Garbo approach to camping that is your prerogative but only a few weeks ago you suggested that you would like to join a meet organised by one of the members of this forum.

Rather than burning bridges that have yet to be built on the basis of subjective anecdotes about the bad behaviour of a tiny minority fellow campers at the larger gatherings why not dip a toe in the water and try one of the smaller meets?

I have no experience of the Pembrokeshire group but the meets organised by Woodspirits and others that I have attended certainly do not resemble the cross between Carry On Camping and Animal House which (at the risk of making a subjective interpretation of your personality), seems to be what is concerning you.

Pitches near the communal campfire will inevitably be noisier but those who want to do their own thing in peace and quiet should be able to pitch further away out of sight and earshot of the communal areas and are unlikely to be bothered by anyone though to avoid any unfortunate misunderstandings, I suppose you could post a notice setting out your likes and dislikes and the terms on which you will engage in conversations on a tree at the boundary of your pitch! ;)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Agreed. Give it a try before you decide it's not for you. You might be pleasantly surprised and make some good friends. You only have one life........

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE