Bushcraft Courses in London?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 21, 2006
London
Hi,

I am newbie, I am interested in bushcraft, especially seeing Ray Mear's stuff, I am fascinated in bushcraft.

Are there any one day courses in London on bushcrafts? anything will do, such as enrolling in London colleges. I work so at the moment I can only do the course in London and for one day only.

Thanks.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Sorry mate, not aware of any courses up in the smoke personally. Have a poke about on the internet and see what you find. I don't know about a one day course, but there's plenty of weekend "introduction to bushcraft" type courses around the home counties, Surrey, Sussex, etc.

Good luck!

Yeoman

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Perhaps you can find some other members here who live locally that maybe you can informally swap skills with?
There's also that thread about Sydenham Hill woods at the moment - perhaps you can get involved there?

Sorry I can't be more help....
Cheers,
Neil

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I live in London and haven't heard of any courses. Plus I'm quite new to Bushcraft so my skills aren't developed enough to be able to teach others.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
It seems there's a few in London with knowhere to practice and learn.
I think a London group with a base is certainly needed.

I would have a look at some of the schools in Sussex, easy enough to get to from London.

Whereabouts are you zammo

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I currently live in Crouch End but hopefully within the next month or so I'll be living in Barnet.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
London said:
Hi,

I am newbie, I am interested in bushcraft, especially seeing Ray Mear's stuff, I am fascinated in bushcraft.

Are there any one day courses in London on bushcrafts? anything will do, such as enrolling in London colleges. I work so at the moment I can only do the course in London and for one day only.

Thanks.

hi London and welcome to bcuk i think your best bet is to have a look in the meet ups and social forum and see if there are any meets you can get to or even start a thread there. meeting with other users will help you get a good taste of bushcraft and wont cost you an arm and a leg just the bus fare to get there.

while your at i why dont you say hello in the intros forum and tell us a little about your self

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Hi

I am in west London area. I havent found any courses. As far I I know there are no legit buschcraft areas inside most of London M25 ring. Like many I have a spot I use, but its based on discertion and the ability to clean the site to the extent that no one knowes you have been there.

If you want to chew the fat, so to speak, a few of us may be getting together in a pub in the Greenford area at some point.

I think your best starting point is finding a mentor to take you to along for a day or two, just so that you begin to get the basics and the do's and donts right.

Sandsnakes
:)

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
SE London myself, have not found any bushcraft courses in the locality, but luckily grew up in the stick's and made the most of it :naughty:
Had a evil week, the worst for a very long time so i've just packed my stuff and i'm off to find some greenery for a night or two so as to recharge the batterys.
If you can't find a course maybe buy a few books, read and digest then head for the woods with a like minded companion for a night. There is something to be said for trial and error, not only will you learn the best way of doing things (from said book's) but also why the other ways don't work :( .
Just make sure you have a first aid kit and plenty of warm clothes, job's a goodun :)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Sickboy, I have an allotment just the other side of the Pool River (the river from Savacentre to Catford).

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
What is it about SE London, no idea there were so many of us (well 3), maybe a get together is in order :rolleyes:
Well spent last night in the woods, not bad at all, my home made hobo stove made from a stainless biscuit tin worked a treat, beef casserole was a stunner, and it gave out next to no light at all, very handy where i was :nono:
Would post some pictures but camera is in Tenerife with the other half, damn.
Even managed to stay dry in the 2am down pour thanks to the power of goretex bivibags, thought it best not to make a shelter unfortunatly, leave no trace and all that, can't wait to get my jungle hammock :D

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Sickboy said:
What is it about SE London, no idea there were so many of us (well 3), maybe a get together is in order :rolleyes:
Well spent last night in the woods, not bad at all, my home made hobo stove made from a stainless biscuit tin worked a treat, beef casserole was a stunner, and it gave out next to no light at all, very handy where i was :nono:
Would post some pictures but camera is in Tenerife with the other half, damn.
Even managed to stay dry in the 2am down pour thanks to the power of goretex bivibags, thought it best not to make a shelter unfortunatly, leave no trace and all that, can't wait to get my jungle hammock :D
Dommyracer and I spent the afternoon in the woods yesterday. You were away Sickboy, otherwise we'd have invited you too.

SHW has a lot going for it. I will try and get on a woodland work party in the next week and find out more about its management.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Howdi Jodie,

Welcome to BCUK. You might like to introduce yourself on the Welcomes and Introductions section.

A little local community seems to be appearing.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Zammo,

I am in the even more respectable area of West London, which is not South east!

As to the rreason why there are so many bushies in the SE of London thats easy!.... They all want to escape it! I speak, i must say, from deep and bitter experiance.

Sandsnakes :lmao:

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
sandsnakes said:
Zammo,

I am in the even more respectable area of West London, which is not South east!

As to the rreason why there are so many bushies in the SE of London thats easy!.... They all want to escape it! I speak, i must say, from deep and bitter experiance.

Sandsnakes :lmao:
Ah, but then I used to live in the ultra respectable Metroland of Harrow-On-The-Hill and was glad to escape to the very friendly and cosmopolitan world of S.E. London. :swordfigh

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE