Bushcraft courses in France

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

Jonathan Cole

Hi,

Anyone know of any good Bushcraft courses in France?

thanks,

Jonathan

Bushwacker

Feb 21, 2006
Basildon Essex
there`s enough state forests in france, and, if theres no objection by the authorities, why not organise a field trip from the uk to check out the locations. It`s not as if it`s the first, or second time us brits have hidden ourselves away in thier woods. By the time spring comes around, I`ll probably have been hiding away out there for the odd weekend or so myself, but as I have no organisational skills I wouldn`t be able to put a foray together for a significant number. what`s the worse the authorities can say? Non? ( I don`t think they`ve forgiven us for Agincourt, especially the welsh archers) Anyone up for the challenge of showing the French how it`s done? :swordfigh

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I had another read of the site. It seems primarily dedicated to giving practical courses about plants, particularly medicinal and edible, and gives gentle introductions to basic bushcraft skills. In the Alps, in Provence. They say it's not about heavy duty survival of the fittest, neither is it about "in depth" learning but more of an "experience of life in a group, in harmony with nature and what if lessons it offers us in simplicity".
Seems to be quite good. I'll have another search. :)
It's not just in Provence, they have courses around Paris as well as other areas of France. :)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Jonathan Cole said:
Hi,

Anyone know of any good Bushcraft courses in France?

thanks,

Jonathan

I would suggest Dave Manise based down in Barnave (26). I have not done his course but Dave is a really friendly guy with lots of knowledge and passion for the subject. Check out his web site here;

Dave Manise - [ l a s u r v i e / v i e s a u v a g e

He hosts the best forum in French for bushcraft in France too;

Vie sauvage et survie

Drop in there and ask around. They are a helpful bunch.

You might want to pose the question to JM over on the Outdoor Magazine Forum too. The forum is international but he is French, based down near Nice.

François Couplan is great for anything on wild food. He has some good books in French on the subject too.

Bon chance! :)

J

Jonathan Cole

Hey

thanks for all the info. Seems like the UK rocks in terms of courses - so i'll be doing one there. besides, you need the extra weather factor to make it real. I mean, a survival course in the south of france in the spring? :lmao: What's so tough about that, apart from trying to stay off the vino?!

I'm going to check out a weekend course on the plants though, that sounds really interesting. thanks for the link!

Best,
Jonathan :drive:

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Jonathan Cole said:
Hey

thanks for all the info. Seems like the UK rocks in terms of courses - so i'll be doing one there. besides, you need the extra weather factor to make it real. I mean, a survival course in the south of france in the spring? :lmao: What's so tough about that, apart from trying to stay off the vino?!

I'm going to check out a weekend course on the plants though, that sounds really interesting. thanks for the link!

Best,
Jonathan :drive:
I think you would find plenty to test even the hardiest bushcraft soul down here too in the Spring on the Midi Pyrenees ;) Just 45 minutes away you are up to 1400 metres, -20C and 4 metre snow drifts are normal. You can even go on dog sledding courses :)

aubrac_snowscape.jpg

Generally it is colder and drier in Winter and hotter and drier in the summer. Where Dave lives it is higher still and even harsher.

You're spot on about the vin though, except then it would be vin chaud ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE