Bushcraft course prices??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
Right then,my question is why are Bushcraft courses so expensive.

I know this will offend some on here as there seems to be quite a few pros,but it has to be asked ,because I for one dont understand it.

Weekend courses seem to start at £180 per person and most seem to be groups of six or even more.

You take almost all your kit with you to a forest or woodland ,very little seems to be supplied by the school other than their knowledge. Now I understand that everyone needs to earn a living but at the lower levels with six people that is £1080 with a lot of courses costing considerably more.

And all this in an unregulated industry.

Just seems a bit steep to me.
But Perhaps I am alone in this view.

GS

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
It's a fair question. i don't run bushcraft courses and have never been on one though I do run woodcarving courses and the prices are not far off what you describe.

What I would say is it is easy to see that as £1000 for 2 days work. In fact there should be considerable time put into planning and preparation if people are going to enjoy it and get a lot out of it. Then there is insurance to pay, the site owner probably wants some renumeration, are there one or two members of staff? maybe 2 in case there is an accident and 1 needs to leave. 1 to do food prep while the other is teaching? What if you only get 3 booked on your course? Do you run at a loss or disappoint people?

If you want to do cheap read the books and do it yourself, or go to meets where people share knowledge for free. With the exception of one or two well known large businesses I suspect most folk are doing it for the love not the money. Holiday pay? Sick Pay? Pension?

It's a free market you can choose to buy or not and I assure you that if it was possible to run a first class weekend course for £75 a head and make a good living someone would be doing it and we would all know about it.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Same question here gunslinger!
If they wouldn't be that expensive I'd probably be a lot more interested in those courses... But for the money they ask, you could fe get some good kit and try to learn the skills from websites, what others tell on fora like this one or by good old trial & error...
Just my thoughts... Would like to know if there's a good reason for the high prices though...

Cheers,
Lasse

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I've got to say that I'm tempted to agree with you. I know the argument is that you're paying for the knowledge that the instructors hold, but sometimes it does seem to come a bit steep!

For example, I recently did the Woodlore Camp Craft course.

£700.00 x 12 candidates = £8,400.00! :Wow:

Bearing in mind we had to bring all our own food for the week too, it did feel a bit steep, even allowing for the fact we were given a Mora knife, a spoon knife and a SFA to keep.

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
Very valid questiion mate and not offensive at all and heres some points I would like to put into the equation,

1. Land permission, some schools run courses from campsites, scoutbases, etc and this is prob the cheapest route - however, if a school wants an exclusive land use this comes at a price, sometimes a set fee is agreed or sometimes a cut of the course fees, either way - its prob the biggest cost for the provider

2. A weekend course is 5 days work, a lot of people don't see this, prep starts Thursday and Friday, course runs sat/sun and clearing and cleaning on a Monday, thats a weeks wages pulled, not to mention the time dealing with usual office redtape, admin, risk assessments etc.

3. For most providers it is seasonal, so they need to cover their back for the winter.

4. Insurance is not cheap

5. Some schools will have had a kit outlay, for example, cooking pots, tents, tipis, fire kits, knives, maps, compasses, etc,

6. Wages for the training team

7. CPD, putting your team through first aid and ML quals, etc isn't cheap either

Hope this helps gunslinger

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
As has already been explained, the schools have expenses and the people running them are doing so to make a living.

It might be fair to ask if the folks running the schools should go short just so that you can have a cheaper course.

Let's face it, nobody has to go on a course.;)

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
It's a fair question. i don't run bushcraft courses and have never been on one though I do run woodcarving courses and the prices are not far off what you describe.

What I would say is it is easy to see that as £1000 for 2 days work. In fact there should be considerable time put into planning and preparation if people are going to enjoy it and get a lot out of it.

Then there is insurance to pay, the site owner probably wants some renumeration, are there one or two members of staff? maybe 2 in case there is an accident and 1 needs to leave. 1 to do food prep while the other is teaching? What if you only get 3 booked on your course? Do you run at a loss or disappoint people?

If you want to do cheap read the books and do it yourself, or go to meets where people share knowledge for free. With the exception of one or two well known large businesses I suspect most folk are doing it for the love not the money. Holiday pay? Sick Pay? Pension?

It's a free market you can choose to buy or not and I assure you that if it was possible to run a first class weekend course for £75 a head and make a good living someone would be doing it and we would all know about it.

I have owned service related business's and once you have the prep done then unless there are dramatic changes of venue,I would assume the prep and course plan would be the same.

Insurance would be a fairly simple third party liability with some extras relevant to the course content. Not a huge sum of money.

All that I have checked out have been one man bands ,probably the reason for being the cheapest. So no staff costs.

If only 3 showed up that is still £540 not bad for a weekends work. Especially as in my area a huge amount of people are on minimun wage.

Holiday pay? Sick pay? Pension? Sorry thats just self employment. We do it because we can keep more of the money we earn so we make our own arrangements to cover these eventuallities.

I am absolutely positive that the possibility of offering cheaper courses and still making a good living is there.

GS

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have owned service related business's and once you have the prep done then unless there are dramatic changes of venue,I would assume the prep and course plan would be the same.

Insurance would be a fairly simple third party liability with some extras relevant to the course content. Not a huge sum of money.

All that I have checked out have been one man bands ,probably the reason for being the cheapest. So no staff costs.

If only 3 showed up that is still £540 not bad for a weekends work. Especially as in my area a huge amount of people are on minimun wage.

Holiday pay? Sick pay? Pension? Sorry thats just self employment. We do it because we can keep more of the money we earn so we make our own arrangements to cover these eventuallities.

I am absolutely positive that the possibility of offering cheaper courses and still making a good living is there.

GS

Go for it mate, good luck.

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
Very valid questiion mate and not offensive at all and heres some points I would like to put into the equation,

1. Land permission, some schools run courses from campsites, scoutbases, etc and this is prob the cheapest route - however, if a school wants an exclusive land use this comes at a price, sometimes a set fee is agreed or sometimes a cut of the course fees, either way - its prob the biggest cost for the provider

2. A weekend course is 5 days work, a lot of people don't see this, prep starts Thursday and Friday, course runs sat/sun and clearing and cleaning on a Monday, thats a weeks wages pulled, not to mention the time dealing with usual office redtape, admin, risk assessments etc.

3. For most providers it is seasonal, so they need to cover their back for the winter.

4. Insurance is not cheap

5. Some schools will have had a kit outlay, for example, cooking pots, tents, tipis, fire kits, knives, maps, compasses, etc,

6. Wages for the training team

7. CPD, putting your team through first aid and ML quals, etc isn't cheap either

Hope this helps gunslinger

1. Sorry but having rented things like woodland from farmers in the past I cannot believe that this is a huge expense. If it is I am sure land could be found cheaper.
2.I cant see a two day course taking three days of admin or prep and whilst I accept that risk assessments are the bain of the modern age once done they are done.
3.In that case if it was me I would offer some special deals in the winter to get customers who otherwise may genuinely not be able to afford the summer courses. I have not seen this offered anywhere.
4. Third party liability is not that expensive
5.Kit outlay for the items you have listed is very small and its pretty much a one off capital expense. Until of course things wear out ,quite a long time IMHO.
6.As stated in my last post all the people I have made enquiries with have been one man bands so no staff.
7.See 6. Now I appreciate that doing it yourself costs. But spread over time again not huge expenditure.

As has already been explained, the schools have expenses and the people running them are doing so to make a living.

It might be fair to ask if the folks running the schools should go short just so that you can have a cheaper course.

Let's face it, nobody has to go on a course.;)

And lets face it no one has to respond to this question like you have.
Sarcasm is unnecessary,especially as there seem to be some who agree with me.
Probably quite a few but I can fully understand that they dont want to rock the boat.

I am nowhere asking people not to make a living or go short.In fact there is no way they would go short even if they reduced prices out of season.
I am not looking for a cheaper course for myself.
I was curious as I had seen courses advertised ,but I do not need one ,I did my training in the service.

If you have something constructive to say then please contribute to the thread, if not dont bother.

GS

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Didn't mean to be sarcastic but this question strikes me as being in the same class as "why are RM Alan Wood knives so dear?"

We Brits seem to have a problem with people being successful in business and making a profit. As I have already said, attendance isn't compulsory. If the price is too high market forces will weed out those who don't offer perceived value for money.

If you do not wish people to disagree with you, don't ask the question.

Disclaimer: Never run a business; never attended a bushcraft course.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
I think perhaps people misunderstand the actual amount of work that goes into running a course- not only have you got to run the course, but you need to conduct marketing, administration, research etc. Every little bit of expenditure- be it time or money- needs to be covered in the cost.

Having aid that i understand that the things are bloody expensive!

reddy

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
Lancashire
I think it comes down to what a lot your target audience are prepared to pay, and not much to do with how much it actually costs to run a course? Everyone has a mark up on their goods or services and wants profits too. Why charge £40 a head when people are happy to pay much more? I personally don't go on bushcraft courses as I don't want to pay what they are charging, but that's just me. Obviously many people are comfortable paying higher prices, as bushcraft courses/ companies are cropping up all over the place! Good luck to 'em all too I say:)

I run my own little business, and the way I'm happiest working it is by making very little profit on an individual item, but because I'm more affordable than my competition I have more purchases and therefore turn over more. I still get my profits and the customer gets cheaper items so we are both happy.

Maybe there's a gap in the market for 'high turnover' low price bushcraft courses?

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Ok gents lets not all go off on one again - please!
Gunslinger,
To answer your question - I have worked for one of the established schools so hopefully I can answer your question ( although Timboggle is also very qualified to answer your question too).
It may seem like a lot of money for a two day course, but as has already been pointed out there are all sorts of things to be costed in.
The rental of your site - say £5 per night per person = £10
Then theres food, which depending on market prices can fluctuate, but lets say £15
Insurance, theres lots of deals out there, but the IOL offer one which is £1000 +. So if you run 24 courses thru the year , thats about £42 per course (divide by the number of students on the course - six I think you said = £7).
Then theres the cost of staffing, what do you earn per hour? Ok not a fair question - but lets say just above the minimum wage £6. Now my hours while teaching normally mean I'm up before the students, sorting the fire out, getting breakfast etc. And I would bank the fire up last thing at night, which is something like 07.00 - 23.00 = 16 hours @ 6.00 = 96.00 x 2 (two day course) = £192.00 again divided by six £32 per head.
Now then theres a set-up day and a clean down day (cleaning all the kit, oiling the knives hanging gear up to dry) now they are short days (8hrs) x 6.00 per hour x 16 = 96.00 divided by six again = £16.00.
Now you need at least two members of staff on a bushcraft course (even if its not advertised - there will/should be) so multiply your staffing cost by two.
So a running total on that per head is £128
Then theres the initial outlay on kit, viechles, cooking gear and the bank loan that was got out to fund it.
Then you need to advertise - magazines, running a website, etc,etc.
So far I don't see a great deal of change from £180! Then you need to facture in the courses where people don't show.
So hopefully I have explained it and answered your question. You will also note I based the wages sensibly (you could earn more washing up at the local pub).
Discounted courses in winter? For a lot a of people bushcraft tends to be a better weather activity and trying to fill winter courses often proves that I'm affraid.
Also for many who are new to bushcraft - paying any money at all for being cold, wet & uncomfortable would be a very strange idea. Yes you have done it - but in the forces you are paid to it.
So mate I hope this has gone some way toward answering your question.
Atb
Neil

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
MY public liability insurance, and that's just for me demonstrating spinning, weaving and natural dyeing costs £300 a year for 5million (the minimum employers expect nowadays).
If I added in cover for other people, cover in the event that a student is injured, cover for the land, employers liability, the bill grows exponentially.

Land use sounds cheap, find ideal land though and that's a whole other ballgame. Ask anyone on the forum who has been trying to find/ rent/ buy suitable land just for themselves.

Equipment does wear out, it doesn't come cheap and it's necessary to carry sufficient to supply everyone on the course. It's not a one off, it's a constant expense. A friend who teaches basketmaking has just spent over £500 on equipment for students, and expects to have to replace that every two years..........how expensive does twelve axes, saws, knives, etc., etc., come in at ?

Wages, well, that includes national insurance, income tax, holiday pay....... and it's all very well to say self employed, it still needs to be earned.

The prices you quote are misleading, I know of several schools who charge nothing like that for a weekend........Backwoodsurvival for instance is only £130 for their basic course, and get a really good reputation too.
(No offence intended by omission, just the school I looked up first since it's on my doorstep)

I know how much time I take prepping to teach, basically you double the days worked and you add on a clear away one at the end too. I can't see the bushcraft schools being any different.
So a Friday to Sunday course needs another three days to deal with it properly. That's a weeks work that the three day course needs to raise sufficient funds to pay for.

No one knows it all ( well, maybe Mors :D ) and on going training, experience is a necessity to keep skill and knowledge developing, this training doesn't come cheaply either.

Finally, bushcraft as it is taught is an industry, a business, the fees reflect what the industry will bear.
If there is such a profit to be made, then why are there less than a handful of fulltime bushcraft schools in the country ? and this is despite there being a lot of highly skilled and reputable people trying to make a living out of it.
I don't think it's as easy as you suppose.

You asked the question, you can't only expect answers you like.
You could prove us wrong though ;)

cheers,
Toddy

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Didn't mean to be sarcastic but this question strikes me as being in the same class as "why are RM Alan Wood knives so dear?"

We Brits seem to have a problem with people being successful in business and making a profit. As I have already said, attendance isn't compulsory. If the price is too high market forces will weed out those who don't offer perceived value for money.

The problem is - people think 6 x £180 = LOADSAMONEY
They dont think about the years that were invested in learning the knowledge, or the REAL hours involved or that no could fill one course every week, every year, year in, year out.
It just seems like easy money - but hey - ignorance is bliss.
Neil

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Now then, taking Woodlore as an example - and I'm not knocking them because I think their standard of instruction is top class - I've just done a very simplistic adding up of their income from courses over the forthcoming year (2009) and, not including the overseas expedition type courses, their UK based regular courses will bring in a minimum of £364,900.00. That's THREE HUNDRED AND SIXTY FIVE GRAND, all bar a hundred quid!
Even after all the costs of wages, insurance, rents and the like are taken into account, that's got to leave a right good wad for Mr Mears to tuck away in his wallet!

Makes you think a bit doesn't it?!

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
Maybe there's a gap in the market for 'high turnover' low price bushcraft courses?

Quite possibly

It may seem like a lot of money for a two day course, but as has already been pointed out there are all sorts of things to be costed in.
The rental of your site - say £5 per night per person = £10

"OK if thats what it costs,but I have never met a landowner prepared to rent for two days per week. So I would assume the land is rented weekly. If so then your costings are very high. IMO.However I will not doubt but will speak to a couple of local landowners in my area."

Then theres food, which depending on market prices can fluctuate, but lets say £15
Insurance, theres lots of deals out there, but the IOL offer one which is £1000 +. So if you run 24 courses thru the year , thats about £42 per course (divide by the number of students on the course - six I think you said = £7).

"Ah but a lot of these are asking people to supply their own food invalidating this argument.
Also part of a lot of courses involves foraging to cook a free meal at the end of the forage."

Then theres the cost of staffing, what do you earn per hour? Ok not a fair question - but lets say just above the minimum wage £6. Now my hours while teaching normally mean I'm up before the students, sorting the fire out, getting breakfast etc. And I would bank the fire up last thing at night, which is something like 07.00 - 23.00 = 16 hours @ 6.00 = 96.00 x 2 (two day course) = £192.00 again divided by six £32 per head.

"As I said before the ones I have researched have been one person ie the proprietor."

Now then theres a set-up day and a clean down day (cleaning all the kit, oiling the knives hanging gear up to dry) now they are short days (8hrs) x 6.00 per hour x 16 = 96.00 divided by six again = £16.00.

"If you are using tarps and hammocks or tarps and camp beds, what needs to be cleaned that would takes a day to clean and another to take to the site
Surely knife sharpening would be part of most courses."

Now you need at least two members of staff on a bushcraft course (even if its not advertised - there will/should be) so multiply your staffing cost by two.
So a running total on that per head is £128

"See above 1 person"

Then theres the initial outlay on kit, viechles, cooking gear and the bank loan that was got out to fund it.

"Pots and or billys surely in bushcraft you will be cooking on a fire?
I doubt that anyone in this business has a dedicated vehicle for the courses but I may be wrong"

Then you need to advertise - magazines, running a website, etc,etc.

"Advertising is/or should be the biggest outlay for any business and I do know that this can be expensive"

Discounted courses in winter? For a lot a of people bushcraft tends to be a better weather activity and trying to fill winter courses often proves that I'm affraid.
Also for many who are new to bushcraft - paying any money at all for being cold, wet & uncomfortable would be a very strange idea. Yes you have done it - but in the forces you are paid to it.

"Worth a try if winter if that lean. I would have thought."

So mate I hope this has gone some way toward answering your question.
Atb
Neil[/QUOTE]

"Useful answers but I will do some more research, Thanks for an informative reply Neil."

MY public liability insurance, and that's just for me demonstrating spinning, weaving and natural dyeing costs £300 a year for 5million (the minimum employers expect nowadays).

"With the utmost respect Toddy ,it would seem to me that you are paying way too much for your public liability."

If I added in cover for other people, cover in the event that a student is injured, cover for the land, employers liability, the bill grows exponentially.

"Your public liability should cover you against any claim by your students.it would also cover the land as the only requirement a landowner will generally require is 5.000,000 PL.
Employers liability would not be required for a one person operation as discussed above."

Land use sounds cheap, find ideal land though and that's a whole other ballgame. Ask anyone on the forum who has been trying to find/ rent/ buy suitable land just for themselves.

"Agreed not easy to find but once found not hugely expensive to rent."

Equipment does wear out, it doesn't come cheap and it's necessary to carry sufficient to supply everyone on the course. It's not a one off, it's a constant expense. A friend who teaches basketmaking has just spent over £500 on equipment for students, and expects to have to replace that every two years..........how expensive does twelve axes, saws, knives, etc., etc., come in at ?

"A lot of money but how often do axes,saws and knives wear out, when used for a short time weekly?
And as to outlay,its not like you would be giving each trainee a gransfors axe."

Wages, well, that includes national insurance, income tax, holiday pay....... and it's all very well to say self employed, it still needs to be earned.

"Not against anyone earning a living, I have my own business's so I do know how it works.
And other than the service I have been self employed all my life."

The prices you quote are misleading, I know of several schools who charge nothing like that for a weekend........Backwoodsurvival for instance is only £130 for their basic course, and get a really good reputation too.
(No offence intended by omission, just the school I looked up first since it's on my doorstep)

"I apologise for not being as thorough as maybe I should but I have not seen these people."

I know how much time I take prepping to teach, basically you double the days worked and you add on a clear away one at the end too. I can't see the bushcraft schools being any different.
So a Friday to Sunday course needs another three days to deal with it properly. That's a weeks work that the three day course needs to raise sufficient funds to pay for..

"Sorry but I really do not believe that.
I have in the past been teaching people in an outdoor environment in a different field (no pun intended) seven days a week. By your theory I would have never slept. Clearing and cleaning and maintaining eqipment was a part of the course so I was constantly on top of it.
If IMO you are teaching for two days then spending another three cleaning and prepping you are doing something wrong."

No one knows it all ( well, maybe Mors :D ) and on going training, experience is a necessity to keep skill and knowledge developing, this training doesn't come cheaply either.

"So who teachs the teachers?"

Finally, bushcraft as it is taught is an industry, a business, the fees reflect what the industry will bear.
If there is such a profit to be made, then why are there less than a handful of fulltime bushcraft schools in the country ? and this is despite there being a lot of highly skilled and reputable people trying to make a living out of it.
I don't think it's as easy as you suppose.

"I am sure there are some wonderful people making a good living from bushcraft.
and I agree that most items or services are priced to the max the market will bear, however times are changing and while I dont want to get political (remember I have been told off for that before) we are about to enter a recession, the like of which has not been seen by any living person."

You asked the question, you can't only expect answers you like.
You could prove us wrong though ;)

cheers,
Toddy

"I do not expect only answers that I like and until that slightly patronising line ,I respect your comments.

As I have said I asked the question to debate a subject that interested me.
I am obviously not the only one who thinks the prices are a touch on the high side.
After all this is a totally unregulated business,where anyone with the wherewithall and the land can start a bushcraft centre. So how do you know what you are paying for?

Thanks for your replies"
GS

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can't have it both ways, you didn't like BorderReiver's reply or mine, yet you respond in such a fashion yourself. It rather invites such comments.

Toddy

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
Mate, in 2001/2002 i was shut down for almost a year due to foot and mouth, having to refund most of my customers money and then find other work to get by, it took me almost 5 years to recover from that.

On prepping a course i start Thursday morning, a full day, then a full day Friday with an evening start - I would welcome someone popping in and showing me where i'm going wrong, plus the monday i take to wrap everything up

give it a go, goodluck mate

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE