Bushcraft Course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dunnie2022

May 8, 2022
Burnley Lancashire
Hello

I'm a youth worker and have an interest in bushcraft and the outdoors. I was thinking about trying to do some outdoor activities ( basic bushcraft etc) with the young people who attend the club. I've tried to find out if there's a qualification I need to do this, and it seems you need an NCFE Level 2 in Bushcraft??
I've had a look on google and there's a few courses, but nothing local. I live in the Burnley area of east Lancashire and just wondered if anybody knew of anyone, or anywhere that provided the above locally - Lancashire, Yorkshire, etc.
Also is this the correct qualification?? Do I need a qualification?? I'm not going to be doing anthing to in depth. Just Den buiding, campfires, cooking etc. I suppose I could expand if there's interest. I'm not planning on hunting, or skinning animals etc. Next step is to ring round the local forest schools.

Any knowledge or avice would be more than welcome.

Cheers! Tim

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Hi Tim.

You do not need a qualification in Bushcraft to be an instructor. Several of my team do not have a bushcraft qualification beyond our in house training.
You may find it is easier to deal with local authorities etc with a formal qualification. You will certainly need insurance, risk assessments and lesson plans etc.
I would suggest a minimum of 16 hours outdoor first aid training. if you're going to be working with young people regularly an Enhanced DBS. make sure you have a safe guarding policy etc. Pretty standard fare for a youth worker.

Reactions: Great egret

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hi Tim,
Welcome to the forum :)
You don't say how much 'bushcraft' experience you have or where you have learnt it so forgive me if the following is stating the obvious! You need to make sure you're presenting good and safe practices (obviously) - there's a lot of total rubbish on Youtube channels. If you have limited experience yourself, you should get onto one of the good courses then try and get a bit of 'dirt time' as well so the processes become second nature to you.

D

Deleted member 56522

I've tried to find out if there's a qualification I need to do this, and it seems you need an NCFE Level 2 in Bushcraft??
I don't need anything. Bushcraft is just the application of common sense and you don't need any qualification to teach it. So please don't try to tell us I do.

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
In addition to safety and first aid;
I don't know how the ticks are in your area, but i would at least explain what to do when someone has one on him.
(i have had Lyme disease for years, you better prevend that if you can)

Reactions: nigelp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE