Bushcraft Club

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Many moons ago when the world was young and I was just a spritely little squaddy first getting interested in Bushcraft and survival I remember reading a magazine called Survival and Outdoor Techniques - it was better prerunner of combat and survival.

Anyway the reason I mention this is in it they often had clubs mentioned, clubs which got together or organized trips and such and I always thought what a good idea it would be to join one.

Well many moons have pasted and Im loosing hair where I want it and grow hair where I dont but the thought has sprung to mind again. :shock:

What are peoples thoughts on this - who would be interested in forming a club. Maybe a regional thing for those in the south east or maybe a national thing - I dont know. :roll:

This would not be a school or anything of the like, no organized lessons although trips could be arranged and such. It would be a club designed for like minded people/friends to get together at a camp and in a relaxed enviroment to share a beer and the knowledge they have harvested. Maybe it would be bested described as scouting for adults!

I know BCUK is something similar but I think the idea has potential.

Well it was just a thought anyway.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Sounds good to me, the best way of learning is to DO it and if I can do that whilst having a laugh with some good people then yup I'm up for it.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Great minds think alike but fools seldom differ neil1 - still let us know what they think.

If there is interest we can beat out something and see how it goes.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
We could kick some of this around in the pub, too.

I don't remember Survival and Outdoor Techniques. I *do* remember (mutter, mumble) Survival Weaponry and Techniques from the early/mid 80s. I've still got a few issues somewhere.... :-? :shock:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
ESpy said:
I *do* remember (mutter, mumble) Survival Weaponry and Techniques from the early/mid 80s. I've still got a few issues somewhere.... :-? :shock:
I remember that too, as well as the early Combat and Survival ... I also remember some of the contributors to those august publications. How people have moved on!

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Adi007 said:
How people have moved on!

This is, in general, a good thing.

About the only decent article I think I ever saw in C&S was the suggestion of getting a carry-out on a Friday, then reheating it on Saturday night. Worked nicely for STABS, less useful to people doing it full-time...
:roll:

jakunen

Native
Sounds like a great idea, and I'm NOT trying to put a dampener on anything but just one question...
Who's going to organise the (regional) clubs? Arrange meets? Be the thankless one that talks to the local landowners/shops for discounts/breweries? OK, wishful thinking on the last one, :wink: but having been involved in a couple of clubs at committee level, I know how much work goes into this sort of thing.
And before anyone reads anything into that, No! I'm not volunteering to Ooganise a Thames Valley group or anything. I don't have the time (and the mental scars are too fresh still) :z:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Well that would be the thing Jak' - personally a site wouldnt be a problem but again there are lots of other problems and questions that would need answering.

At the moment its more a case of seeing whose interested - nothing concrete just an idea we can run with and see where it goes.

jakunen

Native
I know. Just playing devil's advocaat. :twisted:

I hope there is enough interest. I used to belong to a group in Kent many years ago and miss the club cameraderie and all the trips with mates doing things we enjoyed Even if that was just the drinking/chatting down the pub looking at slides of Doc's latest Nepal adventure. :-(
All you lot on here go some way towards regaining that feeling (shared interests/views on life/insanities) but i do miss those halcyon days (plus the discounts as I worked at the shop from which the club was run :twisted: )

jakunen

Native
I'm presuming more regular, local gatherings.
Maybe getting discounts from local shops?
Regular meets in pubs to chat/swap ideas without needing to be near your pc?
Strengthen the BCUK community in a more personal sense?
Stuff like that. Just like the Ravens used to be.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I support the idea. I see lots of problems but that is no reason not to try.

Does it need to be separate from BCUK? Can it not be an extension of it? You could have paid members of the club with the extra benifits and registered users that just use the web site. I am NOT suggesting that Tony be landed with all the work it can still be managed by someone else just under the BCUK umbrella.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Justin Time said:
How would a club be different from what BCUK makes possible? I know at the weekend we had a lot of chat about arranging get togethers.

I think I'm with Justin Time on this one. I've been thinking how to word it without seeming really negative. I'm all for new ideas but I don't see how it would work better than the socials and meetup part of BCUK, without giving a lot more work.

Justin Time said:
Does it need to be separate from BCUK? Can it not be an extension of it? You could have paid members of the club with the extra benifits and registered users that just use the web site.

What would the extra benefits be?

Gary,
out of curiousity, when was the magazine published?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Does it need to be separate from BCUK?

I think they will be anyway. Some club members may not have internet access for example and therefore not BCUK members. I don't think local clubs should be 'BCUK members only' either. I practice bushcraft with quite a few different people who are not members here on a regular basis.

If people start their own localized clubs, then BCUK will be their focal point for disscussions with other bushcraft clubs.... a central meeting point...... seperate but affiliated so to speak.

Ed

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Nice idea Gary.

Think the sticky point will be who will organise trips etc.. As people have said already, its sort of on this site under meetings.

But having little groups, say `The Southern Softies` that meet on the last friday of every month for a drink in a local or a night round a camp fire would be excellent.

I dont think it would have to be a formal thing, we will all chip in when/where needed for a nights camp or food?

Having split from my `other bushcraft half` some time ago :cry: I have found it a little less `fun` to be out on my own - so I would be all for a meet up !

....so Gary when did you say your off to Canada next - could really do with a holiday :-D lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE