Bushcraft clothing on a budget?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Just wandering what sort of clothes is good on a budget for starting out in bushcraft. I have a set of Soldier 95 DPM Jacket, Shirt, and Trousers and poncho but was thinking it's probably not appropriate since it's not waterproof (except poncho) and the locals may take a dim view to a Walter Mitty type in the woods.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You're absolutely right about "Walter Mitty"! your best bet, is to steer away from military kit in the long run but if you're on a budget, then surplus kit will always be a reasonable choice.

Genuine German Army surplus flecktarn kit, is extremely high quality, well put together and far better than anything the British Army have been issued for donkeys years.

The best bit is; it's not expensive, just shop around;)

whatever you go with, try not to wear a set "uniform", a "bit of this and a bit of that" is a much better approach in my opinion:)

good luck

R.B.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Despite the inevitable bushcraft "uniform" which occurs as people recommend certain kit to each other, you don't actually need any special clothes.

All you need is sturdy clothes which aren't going to fall apart on you when you are out walking or camping etc.

Ergo you can go out in a good pair of jeans and a decent hoody. Assuming you have a sleeping bag and a tent or tarp why worry too much.
A good jacket is a worthwhile purchase. Mine is bright blue.

Camouflage kit is often worn simply because of the above reason - it is tough and doesn't wear out easily. - The same as most military kit, hence why you see a lot of people wearing it.

All the best

Andy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Try and pick bits of stuff up which are hard wearing like a good par of cotton trousers and a wool shirt. Asda used to sell a pair of thick cotton trews in Olive for less than a tenner, in fact I've got a second pair which are unworn which you are welcome to have for free if they fit, 32w x 32L I think.

Avoid the camo stuff or at least the full suit anyway, a jacket or trousers on their own isn't too bad I don't think.

Last edited:

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I did wonder about normal kit since I have black combat trousers and fleeces and grey waterproof jacket it just seemed lots of people seem to go for this real leaf stuff.

Obviously I’m not saying I’d go out in hi-viz since you need to be sympathetic to the environment around you. But one problem I have is clothes in my size with a 50” chest and 42” waist not much of the military kit fits.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Dont forget charity shops - lots of decent kit in there...and if you ask nicely many will hold gear for you if you drop in fairly often...

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
If you want to be cold and miserable, and wet mostly, then by all means wear jeans. Other than that, wear what you want, so long as you are comfortable cool and dry. And you don’t mind it getting wet dirty and stinking of smoke even after a wash. Most “bushcrafters” you’ll see are middle aged men with beer bellies, and a beard. Wearing DPM and a leather hat, is not a rule, but seems to be the norm for most.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
30 is hardly middle aged, I'm nearly fifty and am not middle aged. though i have a beer belly and a beard)

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
A good woolen blanket (ex MOD) cut to shape and sewn together makes a warm and usable bush overshirt for not a lot of money and not too much expertise to knock up. Main thing is comfort and warmth and a layer of waterproof in the shape of jacket & trousers or poncho is fine so long as it's efficient, looks don't matter as long as it does the job. And who cares what it looks like.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Brit army wooly pully is a good bit of kit and cheap,American bdu trouser's in plain colours if you dont want camo,hard wearing and fast drying,same goes for og brit lightweights,can get em cheap as well,like others have said blanket shirt( ive made two by hand easy to do)and any basic water proof outer,
although i to aint doing it right as i dont have a beer belly of beard either! or a leather hat.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Most of my outdoorsy stuff involves cycling and camping. I'd always go for synthetic fabrics (and no, I don't mean the day-glow lycra stuff). I get a lot of stuff from Decathlon, but always steer clear of cotton, as it takes too long to dry. The Decathon stuff is really good, cheap, comfortable, and most of all, normal looking.

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
I highly recommend a trip to Aldi, Costco and your local market to find great gear at low prices. I have a great outdoor 3-1 jacket I got from Aldi, great tough trousers with zip off legs from Costco and a great pair of Hi-Tek walking boots I got on the market. I don't think I paid more than £60 for the lot. Another gem to visit is TK Maxx where you can get Craghopper trousers for £20 a pair and lost of other great bargains; I also bought a a great Maier sports 3-1 jacket for £50 and the recommended retail price was £250. Hope this helps!

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
debenhams craghoppers sale some cheaper than go outdoors

i was a bit to cammo today,i think plain trousers with a jackets not to bad but the full suits :eek:

Shadowolf

Feb 3, 2011
Stourport on Severn England
well i'm going to look out of place then because 90% of my gear is my old uniform jacket trousers and goretex jacket and trousers all brit dpm. it's functional and comfortable. I've also got cotton walking trousers which i find are very comfortable and quick drying.

SW

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
Dont forget charity shops - lots of decent kit in there...and if you ask nicely many will hold gear for you if you drop in fairly often...

I agree with this. I spend far too much time in charity shops especially as I seem to be the only person left in the world with a video player, you buy one video for about 20p and they ask you to take the rest! On a serious note, alot of charity shop produce comes from older people who tend to buy quality items in the first place. Don't forget boot fairs too. Glyn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE