Bushcraft clothing on a budget?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
TK Maxx is also a good place to pick up cheap clothing, be prepared to rummage around abit and you'll find something ( my last prize was a thick reggatta fleece with a woolly inside in olive for a tenner...bargain :) )

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I did wonder about normal kit since I have black combat trousers and fleeces and grey waterproof jacket it just seemed lots of people seem to go for this real leaf stuff.

Obviously I’m not saying I’d go out in hi-viz since you need to be sympathetic to the environment around you. But one problem I have is clothes in my size with a 50” chest and 42” waist not much of the military kit fits.

What ever colour you wear won't make the slightest difference to the envionment around you, wear whatever colour you fancy, comes summer I'm in Bermuda shorts and Hawian shirt around camp... and crocs of course (I'm serious). As said check out the charity chops, I picked up an HH Gortex jacket for £5.99 and a TNF down waistcoat for £3.99.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Pendleton shirts are one of the best value for money clothing items you'll get. Ebay is the place for them. Tough, warm and comfortable wool shirts for around 20 quid delivered from the states. I recently won an auction for two that cost me the princely sum of £16.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Pendleton shirts are one of the best value for money clothing items you'll get. Ebay is the place for them. Tough, warm and comfortable wool shirts for around 20 quid delivered from the states. I recently won an auction for two that cost me the princely sum of £16.

Agreed but watch the sizing, ask the seller to measure for you as an XL ain't always an XL if its not been washed with some care.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Agreed but watch the sizing, ask the seller to measure for you as an XL ain't always an XL if its not been washed with some care.

True story. One of the two that I won was significantly smaller than the other even though they were both listed as the same size. It's a gift for a hobbit friend now.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
On the subject of trousers I presume 100% cotton to aid drying?

Also is it better to have thicker cotton trousers such as moleskins or thinner Ripstop M65 type which I would of though to be cold at night?

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i think trial an error has a lot to do with it, also where you intend to go. if you go the military route try to find plain colours. this usually means older stuff as most military outdoor clothing(by this i mean working stuff not ceremonial) is now camouflaged. older usually means robust natural fibres which is good. if in the woods, your clothing choice will be different to the moors, or mountains.

i have lots of military camo stuff as i'm a collector. but having had to carry the stuff i do mix in civvy stuff as well where possible as its generally lighter. i think whats been said before is good advice... shops to look at are
asda
matalan
sainsbury's TU
tesco

best military clothing...
normal jacket and trousers...can't go wrong with US BDU/combats..avail in plain colours, very robust.
britsh windproofs and mid 90's british goretex, dutch and US goretex all good
civvy or mil boots.

i would avoind the complete army set myself, but this is really only conforming to a genreal view, as it's very comfortable and robust. but some civvy kit out performs what is in a general way, outdated military kit, hence in a lot of cases, why its surplus.

craghoppers waterproof, US or supermarket trousers, regatta fleece, lidl or aldi base layers, tk maxx socks(good range-go for bridgedales) army woolly pulley. my choice if kitting out a beginner or budget kit buyer. plus fleece hat and gloves, army goretex over mits when it gets wet.

rob

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
oh also, the inclusion of man made fibres into cotton increases wear resistance and speeds up drying time. cotton/polycootn mixes etc also improves heat retention.

us army trousers are nyco- nylon and cotton, they do winter weight non ripstop, summer weight ripstop. if you can get them the old m65's are superb. but the higher the man made conetent the warmer in theory the item will be, for example, baselayers like hh are polypropelene type, quick drying and warm.
so when looking at trousers, eg, craghoppers kiwi's, or high end monatane terra, the high man made fibre quality aids moisture control better than cotton.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
There is a saying this side of the pond - "cotton kills" WHen it gets wet, it loses all of any insulation value it had, and takes an age to dry, if ever on a wet weekend, cotton socks and shirts are a liability. There are fairly cheap polyester or nylon Tee shirts (Champion brand e.g.) Sweaters should be wool or poly fleece. I ahve two really good quality heavy fleeces that I found for $5 and $7 in a charity shop. Wool sweaters (which also retain much of their insulating quality when wet) can often be found really inexpensively in thrift stores. My memory of the UK (particularly Snowdonia) is of relentless rain, so a waterproof outer layer is needed. Unfortunately, cheap poly rainwear doesn't "breath" and Gortex and the like costs a fortune. For hiking in or out the really cheap poncho can keep one dry, and has plenty of room for air circulation (keeps your pack dry also). I think footwear is a major difficulty. good fit comfort, and tough generally don't come cheap, but IMO good footwear is essential.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Regatta make good and cheap clothes.

Check TK-Max for Craghopper gear at discount prices. Register at the Craghopper website for email updates on clearance offers too.

Lepus

Jan 14, 2011
South Devon
Yup TK MAXX and charity shops yield good finds for the patient, got a pair of Karrimor walking shoes for £25 for TK, from charity shops I've found a long length german army jacket with removeable lining for £7, a Eurohike belt bag thing (kinda like a bumbag, but much cooler looking..... so I keep telling myself lol) with andjustable supports straps and enough room for a fair bit of basic bushy kit and 2 small water bottles etc and only a couple of days ago a pair of Craghopper Kiwi trousers in olive for £2.50 SCORE!
The trick is to keep on visiting them, accept that you may well buy a few useless items and always check a couple of sizes above and below yours as often items are mislabled (especially in TK MAXX). If you've got a decent dump/recycling centre nearby these do tend to turn up interesting finds too :)

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
Castle Clothing do some pretty good and hard wearing outdoor stuff, Prices are reasonable too, No affiliation just a happy customer

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
haha I'm 22, beer belly..beard annnd leather hat! Sounds like i'm on the right track 'ey guys? I like fleece coats with a simple and thin water proof outer jacket, same with my 'strech' jeans..just bang on a pair of the water proof outers and you'll be set mate. I certainly can't afford those £60 mole skin jobbies some people have, army surplus stores are cool anyway and usually have averything you need for like £10-20. Also i wear long johns under my stuff if im gona be out all night in cold weather, dont go for a one piece long johns either..it looks funny and is warm but is a pain to get down if you need to 'go behind the bushes'..unless it has a butflap of course! ;) let us know what you might get buddy!

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Will definitely be looking for some Craghopper type trousers since after a few days walking in jeans I forgot how much the seams can rub in delicate areas. I see Craghopper lined trousers are cheaper than the normal unlined so would it be worth getting the winter version or would they be too hot in summer. Reason for wanting warmer trousers is I have arthritis in my knee due to a motorbike accident a few years back and find it gives grief if it gets cold.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE