Bushcraft/Camping charms or companions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
Wasn't sure how to word this thread. I was watching castaway on TV the other night and after seeing tom hanks with his wilson volleyball and also his pocketwatch it got me thinking on whether there was any objects that other people always make a point of taking with them for company or good luck etc.. or maybe just something they take out of habit. I used to take a pocket watch aswel that i got from my grandad from ww2l but after finding out it was worth a bit of money and historical significance i decided to keep it inside where it couldn't get damaged. Now i don't really have anything i make a point of taking with me.
So has anyone out there got something personal or anything like that they carry with them? Just curious.
Oh and heres a picture of me and wilson from a trip a couple years back.
Really just a football i found washed up and put some mud on it as wilson from castaway probably has his own beachouse in LA now.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
LOL! Brilliant!

I don't take a special friend with me when I go off solo, I do tend to talk to the trees when I'm alone though, but then ... :D

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
Andy, you don't by anychance happen to smoke these trees leaves aswell do you before starting your conversations with them?

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
My constant outdoor companion is a Sigg oval "water" bottle filled with whichever single malt I am sampling that week!

Simon

I really liked the look of those Sigg flasks when I saw them at Middlewood, will have to keep my eye out for one. When the Financial Pixies sort out my post-Xmas deficit :D

Jembly/Sloth

Dec 6, 2007
Appledore, Kent
Haha, superb. Personally I always take Arnold the Owl and Nigel the Squirrel both brought on an Ecology workshop thingy last year. They keep everyone else vaguely amused and remind them that I'm mad, hence the whole - 'Don't argue wth him, he's a bit, well, you know' :togo:

Nov 12, 2007
Canada
Myself, I carry a Odin The Wanderer pendant, Since I'm pretty much a wanderer myself, it's a good match. And who knows maybe he watches out for an old fool like me. :D
Cheers
Alex

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I always carry friends with me

It varies who but Weaver is always with me and topknot, stu, Bushwacker Bob and Singteck are usually around. Ogri and Firebreather have joined me lately and are working out well. Actaully there are rather a lot more than that - too many to list in fact. John Fenna carries my brew kit now :)

Red

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
I always carry friends with me

It varies who but Weaver is always with me and topknot, stu, Bushwacker Bob and Singteck are usually around. Ogri and Firebreather have joined me lately and are working out well. Actaully there are rather a lot more than that - too many to list in fact. John Fenna carries my brew kit now :)

Red

:) That's really poetic..

I tend to wear a silver chain with my Grandad's wedding ring on it a lot of the time..

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The only item that I think I make a point of taking with me is my UCO candle lantern. Since my wife gave me it before Middlewood, it will now be my kuksa. Both coffee and stags breath taste great out of it! :D

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I take my pocket chain watch which was a wedding gift from my Wife. It has a wolf design on the silver outer cover and the clock face is a painting of a wolf pack howling at the moon, it comes in its leather pouch which also has a wolf motif.

I love wolves!:D

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Here's the watch:

100_2577.jpg

Grumpy Monkey

Mar 15, 2008
Buckinghamshire
:) That's really poetic..I tend to wear a silver chain with my Grandad's wedding ring on it a lot of the time..

Although I have my gt.grandmother's wedding ring I actually wear a conker! Many years ago my soon to be wife and I were in Arundel having a mooch about the castle on our first holiday together.
She gave me a little conker which I kept in my pocket for about 5 years, it became my good-luck charm. Then I met a chap who did a slot on our local BBC radio station talking about making jewellery (I was doing my slot about medal valuations) and I got him to mount it in silver bands and suspend it from a silver chain.
I wear it 90% of the time, and will be doing so this Wednesday for a very important job interview.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE