Bushcraft bad for your health?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Just noticed how many threads there have been lately to do with injuries and bits of us falling apart! :sigh:
Is it that Bushcraft is bad for your health, or are we all of a "certain age" and well past our best by dates? :confused:
Discuss.... :lmao:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I think your second explenation Goose, past our use by dates. I need regular hot baths to take away the aches and pains........................Jon (poor old chap)

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Wintergreen ointment and high-proof rum.
Great at any age.

Still waaay too early for the slippers.

Who was it, now, ? about "rolling up sleeves and showing scars"

And Gentlemen in England, now a,bed ................"

Ceeg :D

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
In Jan I scalded my leg on the welsh meet and laast week after giving my son and friends a lecture on knife safety I proceeded to slice open my thumb with a very sharp SFA :eek:
In the words of swmbo who doesnt appreciate the fine art of bushcraft "Ray Mears your not" :(
But it's fun trying :D :D :D

Ian

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I see bushcrafting as a pretty benign activity when it comes to injuring myself. Ok, so my back is a mess at times (old biking accident), my knee cartlidges are shot (too many dislocations during martial arts training) but when I look at the other things I enjoy doing in life, bushcrafting seems pretty tame. I fly power kites and buggy with them (so far that accounts for innumurable scrapes, grazes and bruises, one clean K.O. and a rib broken in 2 places) and I used to ride motocross (too many scrapes and bumps to count).

I grew up playing with edge tools of one sort or another, taking chances with silly manoevres of one sort or another, and shooting with both shotguns and rifles, so I guess I've come to view them as everyday items rather than risk factors. The worst cut I've had so far from one of my tools did require 8hrs of microsurgery to save and almost severed finger (slight mishap whilst clearing brush with a bowie :eek: ), but so far I seem to have got off pretty light in my view.

It does have to be said that as I get older I find that I'm tending to look at things with more cautious eyes. Whereas when I was younger I would leap into things with hardly a thought for the outcome, nowadays I'll stop and think to myself "If I fall off there/ in there/against that etc etc, I'll be damned sorry I was daft enough to try this... So I won't " Age getting the better of me? Perhaps, but I'm still dafter than your average brush most days :lmao:

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
Nothing to do with age mate! my hands are a living jigsaw puzzle, i have back and knee problems...that's because i'm lazy and don't exercise enough though, and tend to expect my knees to be able to take the strain of high falls, which they no longer can without permanent regret!

body and mind an' all that, the cheesy bond girl line 'there's no point in living if you can't feel alive' comes to mind, sadly pour moi :eek:

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
Im fine with the bushcraft it was the Greek horse that ruined me but the fact it has slowed me down has made me more observant and patient and definitely more appreciative

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Ankylosing Spondylitis and the ravages of time have slowed me up.

I can't lay any blame on bushcraft,you can go at your own pace and set sensible limits as to what you do. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE