Bushcraft and Scouts Milestone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
Well, after much trepidation (on my part!) my Scouts safely made tent pegs armed with a bunch of shiny new Mora 511s and under plentiful supervision. Makes me feel like I've passed a right of passage or something :D

Axes and saws next week!

Woody

Forager
Fantastic! It's about time Scouting got back to it's old values and kids were allowed to use the tools of the trade (and take more responsibility for their own actions...ie be responsible)... Yes, some may get cuts and nicks along the way but they will learn better handling skills and hopefully only make that mistake once.

Baden Powell would be proud of you Mark. Keep up the good work

Woody.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Nice one, when I was in scouts we were allowed ti bring our own penknives yet nothing else. No fixed blades and certainly no carving skills like this. Good on you for teaching the scouts how they are supposed to be taught and going back to the origins of scouting from Baden-Powell.

Thanks

spartacus

Forager
Sep 10, 2010
Bulgaria
Good for you Mark. I was a Scout and Venture Scout leader for many years and my fvourite saying was 'put the out in Scout'. The more in depth you go with cooking and using tools be it axes,knives or other the better the kids like it and there will be a few nicks and cuts but only a few and then they know for the rest of their days how to do it safely and properly. Keep it up.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Careful...you might set a trend:rolleyes:

I have a set of matching Mora's which I use just for teaching these days. Currently I'm visiting 2 Troops other than my own as their Leaders aren't comfortable with teaching knife skills. Shame really.

Simon

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Good on you Mark!
Next step is spoons! My scouts love it. We use some of the original frost moras I cant remember the name of and some 640s, plus FGYT was able to supply us with a load of spoon knives at a fair price. Fire is also a good one our scouts love and then, using skills you can first develop with trangias, introduce them to open fire cooking! Good luck
Dan

greensurfingbear

I did an axe and knife session with some scouts a few years back. Even with me watching over them one of the kids managed to make a gash in their hand. Patched them up withe plasters (very clean cut) felt terrible, spoke with the kids mum when she picked him up and she said he'll learn not to do it again. :)

guess it goes to show that the parents support this kind of stuff in scouting.

good luck with your next session mate ;)

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
Good on you Mark!
Next step is spoons! My scouts love it. We use some of the original frost moras I cant remember the name of and some 640s, plus FGYT was able to supply us with a load of spoon knives at a fair price. Fire is also a good one our scouts love and then, using skills you can first develop with trangias, introduce them to open fire cooking! Good luck
Dan
Firelighting we've done plenty of! I was amazed at the Scouts inability to know when sausages were done though. "Is it done yet" - offering a up a sausage that's had about as much cooking as warming it with a hair dryer!

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
I run a Scout troop too! I'm intrigued, how did you swing the funding for the Moras? I would love to get hold of some for this type of thing. We cook out in the woods (in a copse owned by our GSL, how cool is that?) at least once every six weeks, and the Scouts love doing the fires. I always rope in some parents to come along and help, first time we had 2 dads, who spoke to the other dads in the pub, second time out we had 4 dads, now we have a dads waiting list for our cookouts! I'm not sure who enjoys it the most!

Unfortunately, funding for knives may be a step too far for our committee! I will be trying for some in three weeks at our AGM though, I think it's a blinding idea, and also means we can control the knives that are used.

About a month ago we did a fish BBQ evening, the boys were well up for it until we presented them with whole fish and some knives. They all gutted and deheaded/tailed their own, cooked them and ate them. One of the mums turned up and was prepared for disappointment, she came over and said "Little Johnny wasn't looking forward to tonight, he doesn't like fish" So, we went over to Little Johnny, who was just finishing up his second sardine. His mum said "I thought you didn't like fish?" His response....... "I never knew fish tasted like this, we only ever have frozen fish fingers" She has since reported back they have fresh fish, from the market, twice a week, and Little Johnny is Chief Gutter in the house!

That's what it's all about isn't it?

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
This is good to read.

I didn't realise health and safety had such a dampening effect on the Scouts.

Wee bit of a thread hijack...We didn't have any Scout groups where I grew up, but I was lucky enough to have elderly "outdoorsy" relatives.

Where I live now there is a Scout group, at 44 next week would I be too old to join?

I have a current and valid Disclosure Scotland clearance due to my volunteering with Edinburgh Cyrenians Farm.

Cheers,

Liam

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
This is good to read.

Wee bit of a thread hijack...We didn't have any Scout groups where I grew up, but I was lucky enough to have elderly "outdoorsy" relatives.

Where I live now there is a Scout group, at 44 next week would I be too old to join?

I have a current and valid Disclosure Scotland clearance due to my volunteering with Edinburgh Cyrenians Farm.

Cheers,

Liam

If it's anything like Somerset, they'll have your arm off! We could easily open a second troop, but we have no-one to run it. We have 21 in the troop, and a waiting list of 17! They will re-do the crb, the training is reasonably useful, and without getting all dewey eyed, it is really good to see the confidence, skills and knowledge of the Scouts develop.

It's a laugh as well, we had a Jamboree recently, and while the young people sorted themselves out, us leaders created a 30' high wooden gate from poles and string!

I would suggest giving someone in your local group a ring, and offering your services. As for being too old, I reckon mid-40s is about the average leaders age round here. Us mid-40s, we're in the first flush of youth aren't we???

Edit, if you are up for 'adventurous activities' I would suggest Scouts and Explorers, we can do loads more with the Scouts and older than with the Cubs and Beavers.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Thanks for the reply Maggot.

Another CRB check isn't a problem, it's actually reassuring, I'll give the local troop a bell.

First flush of youth - I like that. :D

Cheers

Liam

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
The scouts have just made it easier to encourage adult helpers so you can be a regular volunteer without doing a warrant and things like that.

Re: getting funds for knives, I assume you have some money from fees and if you go to clas ohlson the mora 640s are £2.50 each last time I checked.

Jul 3, 2011
B-O-S, Somerset
hi i'm new to the forum but have read it for a long time.

i think i know Maggot!! i believe i was on the same camp as him and was kind of responsable for the height of the gate!! we had to beat the rest!!

i'm running both a cub pack and a scout troop, which takes a lot of my time but the rewards i get is seeing the kids enjoying eveything they do, surprising me with their ability to adapt, overcome problems and use the skills they are taught.

i'm not a great one for red tape and will do everything i can to teach them skills i learnt, i just manage the risks and just supervise in small groups. i often do knife, axe and saw work with them and they can't get enough of it. I keep it simple and let them progress at their pace, but give them challenges i think they can complete with a little thought.

i usally take all my knives down, both good and bad and let them try them all, they soon learn which knife they like, usually the mora!! i don't like them using folders when carving its too much of a risk in my eyes, i'd rather they used one of my fixed blades.

G

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Well, after much trepidation (on my part!) my Scouts safely made tent pegs armed with a bunch of shiny new Mora 511s and under plentiful supervision. Makes me feel like I've passed a right of passage or something :D

Axes and saws next week!

I have taught Japanese and scouts from other parts of the county and other troops too they love it.

This guy was proud of what was meant to be a butter knife

spreadermade.jpg

We have a some Mora 780's, Viking and scout knifes.

I run a Scout troop too! I'm intrigued, how did you swing the funding for the Moras?

Try THESE especially to persaude the GSL I would also point out that you wouldnt ask them to bring thier own axe so why not buy knives that you are sharp and that are in good condition so you are in control of teh quality.

Last edited:

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
This is good to read.

Cheers,

Liam

Just to echo Maggot:

They will rip your arm off...a willing volunteer is better than 10 press ganged!

I'd say visit two or three Troops and see which one suits you the most as each has its own unique properties. I find, in addition to the "balanced programme", a Troop tends to reflect their Leaders interests in the activities provided.

Simon

Just to echo Maggot:

They will rip your arm off...a willing volunteer is better than 10 press ganged!

I'd say visit two or three Troops and see which one suits you the most as each has its own unique properties. I find, in addition to the "balanced programme", a Troop tends to reflect their Leaders interests in the activities provided.

Simon

Press ganged, lol.
I agree that a visit to a few local groups will give you an insight to how they operate.

Well done Mark for getting your group some knives.

Mar 1, 2010
England
I never did any carving when I was a Scout but learnt from trying projects from websites like this at home. I was really keen on teaching my Scouts some of these skills and so when a parent donated £100 we checked it was ok with him and bought 12 clippers.

It started off with tent pegs, then they made elder whistles and we have made spoons too.

A lot of them have paracord now and i had the idea of making a paracord holder from a plastic one that I got with some cheap imitation paracord years ago. It is just a flat rectangular piece of wood that has the top and bottom carved out, leaving two points so that the paracord can be wrapped inbetween. The easiest way to describe it is it becomes a H with a wider middle section. and then the cord is wrapped around that middle section.

Its by no means necessary, you could just as easily coil it, but it gave them the oppurtunity to use an axe and a saw to create their rectangle and a fairly simple knife carving project to finish it off.

Its been so popular that I run a carving club with the older ones in the group on a seperate night to scouts.
We bought a few axes too, and although they are decent quality, they came with the rubber slip sheath, that lasted about 2 nights.

As I have started a bit of leatherwork myself I thought it would be good to get them to make sheaths for the axes they were going to use. I just copied the style of a Gransfors sheath onto a template and gave help where needed. We now have two really good sheaths and some very proud scouts

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
This is good to read.

As an Explorer Scout Leader (14-18 Yo) I can assure you that it doesn't. It's like in any other industry/club/whatever, so long as you employ common sense and prepare suitable and take all the required precautions your fine. I think sometimes people hide behind H & S, using it as aneasy way of getting out of things. Yes, sometimes the paperwork can be a pain, and yes, there are a lot more thing sthat require adults to have a "ticket" to be able to run activities, but at the end of the day, it's all for the kids safety.

It's great to see Bushcraft being taught and it becoming more and more common againt within scouting. I was lucky, my scout group was a very "traditional" group, and so a lot of these things were covered. I know others in nearby groups who did very little bushcraft.

My explorers love it, to the point that we have now invested in 6 tarp and hammock set ups from DD, allowing us to add another dimension to bushcraft camps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE