Bush Hygiene

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I came back from a weekend away on monday and wanted to know once and for all a few things about food hygiene.
If i am handling beef and lamb (uncooked) is it nessasarry to wash my hands afterwards. I got very frustrated this weekend with having to wash my hands all the time in our invaluable water.

What about pork...i know chicken is bad when uncooked, but pork?

When you catch and prepare and animal, what hygiene procedures do you go through?

Cheers,

Jake

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Not sure about the hygiene issue and how to get around it but pork is actually worse than chicken for getting food poisoning from. Top on the list is actually rice with pork a close competitor.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Rice?? I didnt want to sound like a hygiene nut, but i can get paranoid!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
In a word ...YES!!! You should always wash you hands after handling uncooked meat, that is part of the basic food hygine certificate.
Pork can be far worse than chicken as it goes off alot quicker and can contain nasty little things like hook worm ;-) which are easily transferable to hunams. Pork is even worse in the heat.... so bad infact that a ban on eating it even entered the religions of some desert peoples over two and a half thousand years ago and continues to this day.

:)
Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Rice?? I didnt want to sound like a hygiene nut, but i can get paranoid!
When rice is cooked and left, it goes off, turns yellow and contains some very lethal toxins ;-) Rice should be eaten when cooked and not re-heated the day after!!! If you do re-heat rice, make sure you have re-cooked it right through.... and I mean cooked, not re-heated!!!

:)
Ed

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Rice acts like a sponge for bacteria, I've even had food poisoning from it from a bachelors packet, definately not something to take on an expedition if you can help it, if you want emergancy rations for a bean feast or something.

Bout the only pork thats actually worth taking with you is the shrink wrapped bacon rashers (not the hard gas filled packs). The vacuum wrapped backs have been preserved before filling and if you really want to make sure, freeze them first .. makes ideal cool blocks!!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
i've eaten day-old partly re-heated rice countless time and venver heard of a problem. But can you get food poisoning in the field from raw meat? (lamb beef etc) i mean by handling it?

Cheers,

Jake

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
now that i think of it when i was living in mauritius i ate rice everyday that had been cooked then reheated and reheated each day untill the bowl was finnished

but in that case i suppose we were reheating it enough to kill the bacteria each time

prep the meat then whilst its cooking wash your hands then eat

anthing that you contaminated the meat with before cooking will be killed during the cooking process (as long as you cook it correctly)

you just need to make sure that you dont contaminate it after its been cooked

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Jake Rollnick said:
i've eaten day-old partly re-heated rice countless time and venver heard of a problem. But can you get food poisoning in the field from raw meat? (lamb beef etc) i mean by handling it?

Cheers,

Jake

Yes, there is a risk from things such as parasites in the meat and offal, bacterial growth and so on ... it's a pain having to wash hands but tha alternative is a lot, LOT worse!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I suppose so! Are those anti-biotic hand wash without watre jobs good?

Cheers,

Jake

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Jake Rollnick said:
I suppose so! Are those anti-biotic hand wash without watre jobs good?

Cheers,

Jake

Yeah, I use them a lot - it's small and no hassle to use and seems effective.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I dont use poultry when camping, just because it can make you ill and can also cross-contaminate easily.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I seem to eat a lot of cold rice as well the day after. Never had problems.

I prefer a steak that i have cooked myself!

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
I think its a common sense approach when handling meat in the field or the kitchen, just make sure your hands are clean after touching any raw meat. Personally as a qualified chef i think theres been to much scare tactics given out by the powers that be in recent years about food poisoning. Its got to the stage where people are afraid to handle meats of any sorts in a raw state,i sometimes wonder if this is a contributor to so many people buying pre-packed meals as they think they,re safer in some way.

When surely its only a matter of common sense when it comes to hygiene.
CHEERS
STUART F.

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
QUOTE i've eaten day-old partly re-heated rice countless time and venver heard of a problem

I regularly eat the remains of fridays carry out on a sunday and ive never had a problem either.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE