One Man's Meat.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A nice range of cuisine styles then.

So "Chitterlings" - are they just seasoned and then deep fried? Interested in how they are prepped and served.
I never coked them myself but I always remember Mama and my grandparents frying them (after they were cut into pieces about the same size as chicken in Chinese dishes) Obviously they have to be thoroughly washed (rinsed) a few times. I really don’t know how they seasoned them either But they came out about right for my tastes back then.

On the other hand I remember hog brains a little better. They were always mixed into beaten eggs and scrambled.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I ordered one by accident years ago, tried to choke it, but it was really nasty.
We had one in a Parisian restaurant bar. I knew what it was but my boss didn't so I recommended it then played dumb while laughing at his response. His first cut saw the innards become outards rather quickly like those can of snajes joke tins. He freaked out and are everything but the sausage.

The one I had was spicey and TBH rather nice. I guess it was a good restaurant because there was no nasty smell or taste. Rather nice if a little chewy.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
That is where i had mine, i was flirting with a guy by ordering sausage, big mistake. (i was a lot younger and ate meat back then)
I was certainly not flirting but on a business trip. Just been to see a potential new customer and had half a day free in Paris for the sights. I had been to Paris before but the boss hasn't, so I had a little fun with him!!

First but of fun was to direct him straight into the arc de triomphe roundabout with him driving. He's a speed merchant who thinks he can drive so a good test. He was leaking brown stuff before the third exit and we needed the 5th exit!!!

Second bit of fun came by chance n with the sausage.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The one I had was spicey and TBH rather nice. I guess it was a good restaurant because there was no nasty smell or taste. Rather nice if a little chewy.

Not all andouillette has the dreaded tripe in it apparently - I suspect if it did you would have smelt it no matter how good the restaurant was :)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Never had tripe but that sausage was normal sausage skin forming a bag of snakes with its contents. One cut into the skin and the innards spewed it everywhere. I assumed it was the same body parts as tripe but obviously I don't know for sure because I've never had tripe. I've seen tripe occasionally in my local Booths supermarket and the contents looked the same. No bad smell at all. Could that be down to French culinary magic???

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ok , so - the future of food is that there are more of us ( infinitely reproducing ) living on a limited planet ( Finite resource ) and we 'need' to look at other options be that GM ( Pro's & Cons ) , Urban Farms , Growing Meat Cells in a controlled Vat or possibly we can …...…

EAT INSECTS.

So how do people really feel about that prospect? or any of the others.?

Reactions: santaman2000

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
How different is shrimp, prawn and lobster from insects? I know they're different but in terms of eurgh factor there's really not much difference IMHO. I still don't want to eat insects.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Inspects feel fairly justified to eat as they only have very small souls compared to cows. My experience of swallowing them whilst cycling is that they don't taste bad either.

Lol !! Love this. So by the same reasoning would a Homicide of an elderly person ( lots of experience , mature " Soul " ) be worse than killing a child? ( not much experience ) Sorry , dark subject matter but its the only thing that came to mind.

Do plants and trees have souls.?

Mar 6, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
I think the potential quality of a soul is as important as the quality, so a child is at least equal to an old person. Don't know how you add them up though, maybe by combined mass? Or is it reasonably to say there is a threshold of souliness?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Animals don't have souls according be to most main Christian doctrine. If you're of Eastern religions then everything has a soul and there all equal. Take your choice, no soul ok to eat or equal soul not ok to eat!!

Mar 6, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
Yeah, I didn't really mean it like that. More like your pet dog has more soul (is move lovely) than a wasp. I don't think dogs / cows etc really have souls, but they are much more lovable than insects and plants. And therefore it is 'better' to eat insects and plants.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ok , so - the future of food is that there are more of us ( infinitely reproducing ) living on a limited planet ( Finite resource ) and we 'need' to look at other options be that GM ( Pro's & Cons ) , Urban Farms , Growing Meat Cells in a controlled Vat or possibly we can …...…

EAT INSECTS.

So how do people really feel about that prospect? or any of the others.?
How different is shrimp, prawn and lobster from insects? I know they're different but in terms of eurgh factor there's really not much difference IMHO. I still don't want to eat insects.
I’ve said this before in this very forum: that most shellfish are nothing more than water bugs. So they have gills rather than lungs. They’re still bugs. Even the humongous Alaska King Crabs and the Japanese Spider Crabs.

Short_edc

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2020
Cambs
So I was a butcher for 8 years, some of which a vegetarian for 5 years and after that a radical vegan to which I developed an unhealthy relationship with food. And I must admit now I have the attitude that if you treat what you eat with respect and are aware of the sacrifice it’s made for you to live than there, have at it, i now eat fish and I wouldn’t hesitate to catch game if me or mine where hungry, what scares me is that some generations don’t realise chicken nuggets come from a living breathing thing and that disassociation is dangerous, what I was lacking before was that respect, and Somehow I find myself a chef now and I’ve seen all sides of the arguments that there is to it, I’d say you do you and just enjoy your life, just treat your food with the respect you’d want if you’d be the one getting eaten :p

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So I was a butcher for 8 years, some of which a vegetarian for 5 years and after that a radical vegan to which I developed an unhealthy relationship with food. And I must admit now I have the attitude that if you treat what you eat with respect and are aware of the sacrifice it’s made for you to live than there, have at it, i now eat fish and I wouldn’t hesitate to catch game if me or mine where hungry, what scares me is that some generations don’t realise chicken nuggets come from a living breathing thing and that disassociation is dangerous, what I was lacking before was that respect, and Somehow I find myself a chef now and I’ve seen all sides of the arguments that there is to it, I’d say you do you and just enjoy your life, just treat your food with the respect you’d want if you’d be the one getting eaten :p

Spot on Sir. Thank You.

Reactions: Short_edc

Short_edc

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2020
Cambs
Can I ask did you feel healthy and perform physically well as a Vegan?
Hi mate, it’s a tough one because on one hand
It was the best I have ever felt, and not only physically but my confidence as well, and I know that’s odd, but once I got sucked into the politics of it (although that was never my intention, quite the opposite with considerable rebellion.) it did some real damage to my mental health, and my relationships, and it changes the way we see food and what’s right and wrong (or moral/immoral) and the truth is that when people ask me if I’d recommend it, I say absolutely not, because you have to be ready for the mental state it brings, sorry to give you a life story but it’s the full version.

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE