Bush Courtesy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I was reading the thread about winter camping and the fears of being alone, or observed. So, we are out and about and WE see a fire or camp. Could it be a fellow online bushcrafter we haven't crossed paths with? There was a time when people would shout out "hello the camp," giving the occupants time to assess who it was and either grant permission to approach or arm themselves if fearfull. Perhaps the G.B. bushcraft community should promote some social standards of conduct.

willie

Forager
Sep 25, 2004
aberdeen,scotland
www.google.com
i agree we shud be more friendly .when my m8s and i are camping/bushcrafting we talk to nearly everybody / anybody who passes and its good to know that ur kinda safe as u know there friendly or atleast think there freindly :p

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
willie said:
i agree we shud be more friendly .when my m8s and i are camping/bushcrafting we talk to nearly everybody / anybody who passes and its good to know that ur kinda safe as u know there friendly or atleast think there freindly :p

do I understand ChrisKavanaugh wrong when I read into his letter that he is not saying that we have to be more friendly but ask us for a kind of invitation before approaching someones camp? :?:

I don't mean that there is something wrong to be friendly, quite the opposite is true, often it is the best choice. I think it is a good idea not to assume that everyone loves company or wants to have someone with him for couple of days talking endlessly and not leaving. :yikes:

:naughty: Abbe

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
As Chris mentioned, having some form of bush courtesy is a great idea. Whenever I approach or spot a camp, I hail them and let them know I'm in the area, but don't necessarily ask to join them. I expect the same courtesy, so when someone just walks into my camp unannounced and uninvited, they are likely to be met with something other than a smile.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Abbe, think about some social customs. We shake hands with our right. Why? It was the dominant sword arm and this custom was an assurance of mutual safety. We open the door for women to enter first. Chivalry? rennaissance Italy with it's many internal conflicts was full of dagger armed assassins. A few Dogens 'got the point,' and began sending the women in first. My travels have included hiking past the Manson Family living at the infamous Spahn Ranch and getting dirty looks, meeting people literally hundreds of miles from anywhere on a temporate rainforest trail, attending UC Santa Cruz during a spate of shootings by the 'trailside killer,' a zen monk meditating on a sacred indian site nobody knows about and countless others fair and foul. I'm just suggesting the dedicated bushcraft community creates a few, simple courtesys to make the increasing interest more pleasurable for all.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
ChrisKavanaugh said:
Abbe, think about some social customs. We shake hands with our right. Why? It was the dominant sword arm and this custom was an assurance of mutual safety. We open the door for women to enter first. Chivalry? rennaissance Italy with it's many internal conflicts was full of dagger armed assassins. A few Dogens 'got the point,' and began sending the women in first. My travels have included hiking past the Manson Family living at the infamous Spahn Ranch and getting dirty looks, meeting people literally hundreds of miles from anywhere on a temporate rainforest trail, attending UC Santa Cruz during a spate of shootings by the 'trailside killer,' a zen monk meditating on a sacred indian site nobody knows about and countless others fair and foul. I'm just suggesting the dedicated bushcraft community creates a few, simple courtesys to make the increasing interest more pleasurable for all.

I think its a good idea and don't think that there is a problem with that. :pack:
cheers
Abbe

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
i would imagine a cry of HELLOOOOOOOOO THE CAMP would be enough to send most of us into a blind panic in this country

there are precious few places where anyone can light a fire and set up camp

if on the other hand you stopped at the farmhouse and asked permission the owner/ farmer would probably have told you if there was anyone else camping on his land

mebbe it makes more sense in a country with huge national parks and wilderness areas where you can stumble on fellow travellers :?:

Tant

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Tantalus said:
mebbe it makes more sense in a country with huge national parks and wilderness areas where you can stumble on fellow travellers :?:

Tant
It makes real sense when they will almost certainly have guns!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
So the burning question is... How do you hail your fellow bushcrafter?

"Oi mate !! Show us yer Bowdrill!!" :rolmao: Or "How big is yer billy?" perhaps.

Seriously though do we have a generic salutation or something ?? If so what :?:

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
maddave said:
So the burning question is... How do you hail your fellow bushcrafter?

"Oi mate !! Show us yer Bowdrill!!" :rolmao: Or "How big is yer billy?" perhaps.

Seriously though do we have a generic salutation or something ?? If so what :?:

As long as you don't shout out, "My knife is better than your knife" :yikes: maybe there won't be many problems. :lol:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
When I'm trekking (as I'm wont to do :)) and I spy a strangers camp, I always "Ahoy" them. If I'm fairly sure they heard and they don't reply, I walk on and don't camp nearby - chances are they are enjoying their solitude.
If they reply, I'll go up to the camp and stand outside and chat. From then onward it's up to them - I've made lifelong friends out of people who I have just met in camps.
I find generally people are very friendly - after all you all have the same hobby.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
george said:
But a gentle "hi folks, hows it going" never hurt anyone.

:super: yup , if there is anyone there

if there are no signs of life i would leave well alone

in the summer i came across a tent while looking for field mushrooms

it was well hidden and unused for a while, just chance that i hopped over the dyke at that point

as luck would have it not 2 minutes later i met the owner and his girlfriend headed in that direction

it was obvious that i had come from that direction, but he had no idea who i was and was a bit nervous

she vanished towards the tent like a scared rabbit :shock:

after explaining i was just looking for mushrooms, we had a natter and a cig together

he even suggested a few hopeful places i could look, and asked if i would be interested in getting a "carry out" together with them and sharing it in the woods

my point is, they both expected to be chased off the land

camping is more often discouraged than it is tolerated or welcome, seems every inch of our little island(s) is owned by someone

as for trespass in Scotland, it is a fine line sometimes
walking and camping are 2 different activities
even walking can disturb livestock or game, so it is only polite to ask if you intend to camp :wink:

Tant

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
:rolmao:

nah i showed him the few i had already found

but if i had found any of the others i would have given him them, not my thing honest

Tant

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE