Bush buddy, Titanium pots and canvas rucksacks. A long post!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
Hello folks. I'm planning a long and great journey next Spring and I'm in need of some advice regarding gear. I'm only in the initial planning stage at the moment and I have a lot of things to be done before I set off but the gear is one of the most important elements of the trip and I figured it wouldn't help to start thinking ahead. I'll be away for about 2 years and to keep it to the point it will involve spending about a year, most probably longer, journeying around the UK on foot, walking many footpaths, ways and national trails along the way and venturing into the amazing mountainous regions of Wales, The Lake District and Scotland. I'll be going abroad after that, but I am free to change my plans at any time. I am wanting to 'wild camp' as much as I can but of course I will be staying in hostels, camping barns and bothies along the way to rest my weary feet and fill my belly with wholesome food.

I'm wanting to keep the load as simple as possible, using uncomplicated equipment that will be reliable for a long journey. Including food and water I don't want the load to exceed 15kg at the maximum. I've been on other camping trips before, notably a 6 week backing trip in Scotland and the 33kg weight of the rucksack (yes, really!) was crippling towards the end. At the same time I'm wanting to try new things out before I go. I don't like sleeping bags or bivvy bags much, and for the sleeping arrangement I'm thinking of a length of waxed cotton canvas and a woolen blanket, but just how water resistant would waxed canvas be to be used directly on damp ground? I would be using it in conjunction with a very small tarp.

Cooking equipment now. I had a Honey Stove and loved it, the only downside being that it warped terribly after not much use, and it still left scorch marks on the ground, so I was thinking of purchasing the Bush Buddy, it looks just the thing for my trip, but how is it in use? Efficient? Study? In the same vein, I'm considering putting my trusty billy can on the shelf and swapping it for titanium pot with frying pan lid, and hopefully the two would fit together to save space, but I've heard tales of titanium being a bugger for burning heat distribution, and is it as robust as steel? Also lastly, canvas rucksacks... I know this divides a lot of opinion, but again, I want to keep things simple. I'm not fond of the the adjustable back systems on modern backpacks, and despite any sales reference of toughness or tear resistance, I wouldn't trust my Lowe Alpine rucksack on a long journey such as this. Does anybody use a canvas rucksack with the sort of the load I mentioned, and if so, what's it like to use?

Proper long post I know, but I'd really appreciate the advice of people who use this sort of equipment and could give me some opinions.

A

Last edited:

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Your journey sounds great, best of time for when it comes! :)
With a bushbuddy stove i would of thought it would be uncomfortable when walking as you are planning to as it doesn't pack down, would it be possible to cook over a fire or in coals ect?
Also i dont own any titanium pots yet but i emailed alpkit as im interested in the MyTiMug and they told me it can be used on a fire and to clean you just soak and wipe or use a brillo pad if you dont mind some scratches.
I use stainless pots/pans at the moment but when i go for longer walks i think i may invest in some titanium. I use a hexi or meths stove (if any) as i like them for simplicity and to me if your going to have a bushbuddy/hobo/honey stove you may aswell have a fire but i was considering a more permanent wood burner as i just use a old ikea drainer

Ben :)

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
Your journey sounds great, best of time for when it comes! :)
With a bushbuddy stove i would of thought it would be uncomfortable when walking as you are planning to as it doesn't pack down, would it be possible to cook over a fire or in coals ect?
Also i dont own any titanium pots yet but i emailed alpkit as im interested in the MyTiMug and they told me it can be used on a fire and to clean you just soak and wipe or use a brillo pad if you dont mind some scratches.
I use stainless pots/pans at the moment but when i go for longer walks i think i may invest in some titanium. I use a hexi or meths stove (if any) as i like them for simplicity and to me if your going to have a bushbuddy/hobo/honey stove you may aswell have a fire but i was considering a more permanent wood burner as i just use a old ikea drainer

Ben :)

Thank you for your kind words Ben. The bushbuddy indeed does not pack down, but that's why I asked about a titanium pot, as I've heard that there is quite a few cooking pots that the bush buddy would fit inside and thus, eliminate dead space. I can't count on using open fires as I'll be walking in everything from mountains to village, riverside or coastal footpaths and I don't want to anger any farmers or landowners!

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Thank you for your kind words Ben. The bushbuddy indeed does not pack down, but that's why I asked about a titanium pot, as I've heard that there is quite a few cooking pots that the bush buddy would fit inside and thus, eliminate dead space. I can't count on using open fires as I'll be walking in everything from mountains to village, riverside or coastal footpaths and I don't want to anger any farmers or landowners!

From the first post im guessing your travelling alone and in that case i think a pot big enough to fit a bushbuddy in may be too much and extra weight. Would it be possible to take a gas stove or hexi and pick up gas/hexi in the villages?

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16256&category_id=283
Thats the MyTiMug, you can fit inside a gas canister and pocket rocket and it all goes into a drawstring bag and saves alot of space.

Just remember that if you are visiting villages things can be picked up along the way so dont worry about it- just remember the camera ;)

lab72

Native
Apr 6, 2010
west oxfordshire
Re-Bush buddy a great stove duel fuel when used with a pop can stove and a snow peak 900 pot you have a spot on cooking system not heavy ,bomb proof in my eyes you cant get better ! oh i would not say it was bulky ether .

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I use my Bushbuddy with a heatproof mat under it as this removes any possibility of fire scar, gives you some protection from sparks and burnt off ends of fuel dropping out of the stove, and you can use it to pick the stove up when it is hot. Being a woodburner it will produce a lot of sooting on your pots, so it needs a bag to stop it marking everything else, and will get soot on the inside of whatever pot you store it in. It is also a little bit high maintenance in use, in that if you don't keep an eye on it, it goes out fairly quickly.

All of which sounds like I don't like it, but in fact it is my favourite little stove - lightweight, versatile (you can get a roaring flame or a gentle simmer with practice), efficient, and very easy to use. A pocketful of twigs will cook you a meal if all you want is a boil. Once you have a bed of embers in it you can get a lot of heat from it even after the fire has gone out, although prolonged use can cause it to 'choke up' with ash. As has been said, it works with a little alcohol burner inside too. My experience with other stoves is limited, but I would think that the Bushbuddy will do everything that you want it to do, for minimal weight, and it isn't really all that bulky either. If it has a weakness it is the rather flimsy pot rest - lose that and the stove is much less effective. I've just ordered a spare, as I've trodden on the pot rest twice and it has warped.

For a trip of this magnitude, I would strongly recommend seeing if you can get to try a few stoves, and find out for yourself which one you like best for what you want. Go to meets, and borrow from friends, do as much testing as you can. You don't want to be stuck somewhere with a stove you don't get on with.

Best of luck.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I wouldn't use waxed canvas because after prolonged use on the ground I don't think it would be that waterproof. I camped in February in Kielder forrest using 12 oz waterproof canvas as a groundsheet covered by diy waterproofed artists canvas and a couple of blankets. This was under a non waterproof canvas tarp that was as wet on the inside as it was on the outside, but I was dry in my set up. The trouble with canvas and wool is that it is heavier and bulkier than modern sleeping arrangements.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Have you thought about a hobo stove? Very versatile, strong and can hold all your cook kit inside.

Attachments

• hobo4a.jpg
    hobo4a.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 29
  • hobo2a.JPG
    hobo2a.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 26

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
No need to mess about with little woodburners, take a small gas stove or better still a real Trangia. When you find a spot for a fire just light a small one, when on the move the Trangia or gas stove will be fine. There are large part of Snowdonia and the Beacons where there is simply no wood.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I agree with rik_uk3 and try just carrying a small frying pan and a crusader mug (that mug may be stronger in a fire than titanium. for the few extra ounces i would rather rely on a strong bomb proof system

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I rate the Bushbuddy highly but, as has been pointed out, there is not always the fuel available to run it so a pop can stove, running on meths is a good, cheap and light alternative. Selecting pans is always an issue. Titanium is indeed both light and strong but, for sheer simplicity's sake, I reckon a good stainless steel number would serve you better, given the length of your proposed trip. Packing a tarp is an essential: they are brilliantly versatile, light in weight and have any number of applications and pitches. On your bedding conundrum, I am no expert. I like and use sleeping bags!

It sounds as though you're going to have a brilliant adventure. Good luck with it - I'm green (a dark, bushcrafty shade, of course!) with envy.

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
Thank you, Tiley! Yes, it is indeed troublesome selecting pans! I've got a 12cm Zebra billy can which I've used for about a year now both on open fires and on gas stoves and I love it, it's robust and is very easy to clean, even severely charred porridge came off with some boiling water and elbow grease! The price of titanium doesn't deter me as I won't be buying expensive boots or footwear, but some people seem to swear by it and others seem to not like how readily it burns food and that it suffers damage easily. I think, what with my intended use going to be on a fire or using gas, I'll probably go down the stainless steel route. Or will I? Argh, choices choices! What are the best manufacturers of good quality stainless steel cooking pots?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...for the sleeping arrangement I'm thinking of a length of waxed cotton canvas and a woolen blanket

I do occasionally sleep out while wrapped in a blanket however I wouldn't choose that option for a long distance trek, keeping it clean and dry would be a pain, additionally they can be bulky and heavy (especially when wet). However a quick glance through google images when you search for terms like 'American Civil War', 'Spanish Civil War', 'Partisans' and 'Swag Man' brings up many images of folk clearly using that set up, presumably with some success. :)

"...swapping it for titanium pot with frying pan lid, and hopefully the two would fit together to save space
I have walked quite considerable distances over a very long period of time, titanium pots are light to carry and I have a few. But if they get dented, they can puncture and they are not so nice to cook with.

A steel crusader mug and waterbottle (or two) is my choice for long distance trekking, you can cook anything in one of those.

Also, having a decent sized mug helps (I find) to keep you hydrated, making it easier for you to measure your intake in a way that sucking on a pipe or swigging from a bottle does not.

:)

"...canvas rucksacks...I'm not fond of the the adjustable back systems on modern backpacks, and despite any sales reference of toughness or tear resistance, I wouldn't trust my Lowe Alpine rucksack on a long journey such as this..."

Canvas packs, they do look the part don't they, but you will be an old codger like me one day and the stresses you put your back through in your younger years will come back to haunt you. I have used Lowe Alpine packs on walks of two thousand miles or more, they held up and all are still in use. If you don't like the idea of an adjustable back system then I'd suggest you check out my travel pack of choice the Crux AK47, no adjustable back, a very simple but well thought out design, made from a very tough Kevlar/Cordura weave and after a few months it'll take on a worn appearance that allows it to pass unnotticed by the folks ransacking the other bags packed atop that bus in a far flung land.

Have a great trip, make posts here whenever you can.

Edited to add:

No need to mess about with little woodburners, take a small gas stove or better still a real Trangia. When you find a spot for a fire just light a small one, when on the move the Trangia or gas stove will be fine. There are large part of Snowdonia and the Beacons where there is simply no wood.

What rik said! Gas canisters are readily available and reduce the chance of a fire getting out of control when its dry, make your own bushbuddy type stove when you need one.

Last edited:

hillwalker

Nov 28, 2004
the Wilds of Lough Gur

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
The advice on this post is great for you :)

The 12 cm zebra billy can is 0.55 kg and the 10 cm is 0.40 so you can save weight by getting smaller
I would also take a crusader mug and nato water bottle as it saves space and the mugs can put up with alot of abuse and plus the markings for measuring are great :)

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Re-Bush buddy a great stove duel fuel when used with a pop can stove and a snow peak 900 pot you have a spot on cooking system not heavy ,bomb proof in my eyes you cant get better ! oh i would not say it was bulky ether .

I did a not very scientific test with a Bushbuddy and a whitebox stove (HERE) that might add some information into the mix. If you are walking in the UK you should have no trouble getting gas but some think there is an environmental issue with the disposal of canisters - most end up in landfill with the dregs of the gas still inside.

Your trip sounds great - very jealous! I like the idea of using traditional kit in natural materials - wool, canvas, leather etc - but it is very heavy. I have several canvas and leather rucksacks that I made and always use them for day trips and overnighters. Longer trips, however, see me breaking out the ultralight gear - my Granite Gear Vapour Trail 60lt+ pack, for instance, is half the weight of my 30lt canvas pack. A down sleeping bag lightweight bivi bag is a fraction of the weight (and bulk) of a blanket.

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
I did a not very scientific test with a Bushbuddy and a whitebox stove (HERE) that might add some information into the mix. If you are walking in the UK you should have no trouble getting gas but some think there is an environmental issue with the disposal of canisters - most end up in landfill with the dregs of the gas still inside.

Your trip sounds great - very jealous! I like the idea of using traditional kit in natural materials - wool, canvas, leather etc - but it is very heavy. I have several canvas and leather rucksacks that I made and always use them for day trips and overnighters. Longer trips, however, see me breaking out the ultralight gear - my Granite Gear Vapour Trail 60lt+ pack, for instance, is half the weight of my 30lt canvas pack. A down sleeping bag lightweight bivi bag is a fraction of the weight (and bulk) of a blanket.

The comment regarding gas ending up in landfill sites is indeed one of the reasons I am against their habitual use, but that is just my opinion. I have used a gas stove before, but with a woodburning stove in my rucksack I'll be much less dependent on them as a means of cooking food. Indeed, I wouldn't be one to gripe if I had to miss a hot meal or two because of lack of wood in the area, but if I foresaw that I was walking in land that was pretty barren of trees I would be able to fall back onto Gas if I required, as the stove head itself weights only 100 and odd grams if I recall correctly.

Kerne, your comments about natural materials being heavy are most probably true, but I'm just sort of inquiring about them, obviously the best thing I can do would be to buy the gear and test it for myself, but I'd rather not waste good money on duff kit! I know down and synthetic sleeping bags are a lot lighter in their warmth to weight ratio, but the material used in my Mountain Equipment synthetic sleeping bag always makes me feel not hot, but clammy. As for down...I am probably the odd one out in thinking this, but the idea of carrying around a delicate bag of feathers that renders itself useless when wet would worry me when I plan on walking to remote lands at constant mercy of the weather. I am of the mantra that nothing is completely waterproof, so you should plan for things getting wet.

I was thinking of using a length of waxed cotton canvas, as long as I am tall with a few inches at either end, then double the width of me, enabling me to fold it over at the side and bottom using a blanket underneath, obviously I would still be wearing my base layers. It sounds good in theory but the weight of a wool blanket on its own being anywhere from 1.5-2.5 kgs makes me wonder about its effectiveness.

Last edited:

Highfield

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2010
Gloucestershie
If you liked the honey you will love the bushbuddy. Mine has over hundred hours use and no problems. With practice you can run the BB almost smoke free. I have run it or 2, 3 hours at a time, this helps to keep you warm as well. Also it is a moral booster and reduces boredom if you have to hole up. You dont have to worry about cost of fuel either. Use in conjunction with pepsi stove or just a tea light holder.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE