Bush buddy, Titanium pots and canvas rucksacks. A long post!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
If you liked the honey you will love the bushbuddy. Mine has over hundred hours use and no problems. With practice you can run the BB almost smoke free. I have run it or 2, 3 hours at a time, this helps to keep you warm as well. Also it is a moral booster and reduces boredom if you have to hole up. You dont have to worry about cost of fuel either. Use in conjunction with pepsi stove or just a tea light holder.

Bleh, it seems I can't find the bushbuddy in stock anywhere, and the Canadian website only has the ultra available, but don't you get stung on import tax if you get it from them? I spotted the regular bush buddy a while ago on Wild Stoves and I was trying to make my mind up and now, it's out of stock! Does anyone know any UK stockists of the regular Bush Buddy? Because if I can't get hold if it, Wild Stoves actually sell something that looks pretty much identical to the Bush Buddy called the 'Woodlore' stove I believe, made by Antig Outdoors in the USA. Has anyone bought or used this stove?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Kerne, your comments about natural materials being heavy are most probably true...I was thinking of using a length of waxed cotton canvas, as long as I am tall with a few inches at either end, then double the width of me, enabling me to fold it over at the side and bottom using a blanket underneath, obviously I would still be wearing my base layers..."

This earlier thread about waxed bedrolls may be of interest.

This site features a how to on getting a good nights sleep while wrapped in a blanket.

This thread describes the pros and cons of various wool blankets, alpaca wool being thought to be one of the best options for warmth and weight (if your wallet will stretch that far).

You might also consider a 'Swandri Bush Shirt', not quite as comfortable as a blanket but will do double duty as your warm jacket and sleeping bag at a push.

Wearing your base layers while sleeping will mean more laundry or fewer friends. :)

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Bleh, it seems I can't find the bushbuddy in stock anywhere, and the Canadian website only has the ultra available, but don't you get stung on import tax if you get it from them? I spotted the regular bush buddy a while ago on Wild Stoves and I was trying to make my mind up and now, it's out of stock! Does anyone know any UK stockists of the regular Bush Buddy? Because if I can't get hold if it, Wild Stoves actually sell something that looks pretty much identical to the Bush Buddy called the 'Woodlore' stove I believe, made by Antig Outdoors in the USA. Has anyone bought or used this stove?

What about getting the european version ...

http://www.bushcooker.com/

[video=youtube;qBWLlgJD2Ec]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBWLlgJD2Ec[/video]

Produced under license by Qvist of Holland, I've had one for a while now and it's been brilliant

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
Wearing your base layers while sleeping will mean more laundry or fewer friends. :)

I actually did quite a bit of searching before I posted this topic and I've already looked at all those topics, but thanks anyway sandbender, I've just going over them again. As for the Swandri Bush shirt, in the next few weeks I'm actually going to be buying the Bison Bush shirt, 100% wool and better than the Swandri whose quality has taken a bit of a downturn since moving their work to China, or so I hear. As for sleeping in base layers, hey-ho, I'm going for an adventure so I expect there'll be many times when I'm 'roughing it', washing in streams and the like, this isn't no munro bagging, fast and light type trek. It's more, a great personal journey carrying my life on my back type affair. Sacrifices have to be made! :rolleyes:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...As for the Swandri Bush shirt, in the next few weeks I'm actually going to be buying the Bison Bush shirt, 100% wool and better than the Swandri whose quality has taken a bit of a downturn since moving their work to China, or so I hear..."

The Bison shirt is great and far superior to the Swandri 'Ranger' equivalent, However the Swandri Bush Shirt I mentioned is the three quarter length 'hobbit' style garment that laces at the neck. Mine is quite old so I cannot comment on any recent drop in quality, but my Bushshirt has a much tighter weave than the Ranger shirt. Wearing both the Bison shirt and the Bushshirt can make for quite a toasty night.

Of course if the idea of a 'bushshirt' style garment does appeal then there is nothing to stop you making your own. :)

"...As for sleeping in base layers, hey-ho, I'm going for an adventure so I expect there'll be many times when I'm 'roughing it', washing in streams and the like, this isn't no munro bagging, fast and light type trek. It's more, a great personal journey carrying my life on my back type affair. Sacrifices have to be made! :rolleyes:..."

Stinkiness and health aside if you are away adventuring for any length of time regular laundring of your garments is quite important, especially when you are wearing wool. A dirty woollen garment becomes less insulative and its ability to keep you warm can drop noticeably in only a few weeks. :)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
i have a similar walk planned and was wonderin what hygiene kit to take, my walk is only a week though

A very small one.
P8040011.JPG

:)

Beardy Adam

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2010
West Yorkshire
The Bison shirt is great and far superior to the Swandri 'Ranger' equivalent, However the Swandri Bush Shirt I mentioned is the three quarter length 'hobbit' style garment that laces at the neck. Mine is quite old so I cannot comment on any recent drop in quality, but my Bushshirt has a much tighter weave than the Ranger shirt. Wearing both the Bison shirt and the Bushshirt can make for quite a toasty night.

Of course if the idea of a 'bushshirt' style garment does appeal then there is nothing to stop you making your own. :)

Stinkiness and health aside if you are away adventuring for any length of time regular laundring of your garments is quite important, especially when you are wearing wool. A dirty woollen garment becomes less insulative and its ability to keep you warm can drop noticeably in only a few weeks. :)

My reply was a bit tongue in cheek, Sand. I'm well aware of the hygiene perspective, but seeing as I'll be taking any opportunity of fine weather to wash gear, and I'll also be going to a hostel at least once a week, where everything will get properly washed, I am sure sleeping in a base layer top for one or two nights a week if needs be will do nothing to damage the garment or my health. Thank you for your opinion on the bush shirt, the 'hobbit' length just look quite unusual, that is for sure.

I'm pretty impressed by Bobs video of the Qvist Bush Cooker, considerably cheaper than the Bush Buddy as well which is quite enticing.

Last edited:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
No need to mess about with little woodburners, take a small gas stove or better still a real Trangia. When you find a spot for a fire just light a small one, when on the move the Trangia or gas stove will be fine. There are large part of Snowdonia and the Beacons where there is simply no wood.

I'm also with rik on this one, and would consider a tent particularly if your heading into the mountains or are travelling through the winter. It might not be in keeping with your ethos but you should consider your safety. Much as I love my bushy gear I still want to have a shelter and means to heat food / water I can rely on 100% in poor weather or in remote areas.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Now this is one of the most interesting posts i have come across in a long time! simply because....it is also my idea! i have been planning my lone trek around the uk for a while whilst finishing my degree and would have started already however i have been recovering from a fairly serious back operation for several months with the end nowhere near in sight. however i have spent some time gathering my kit for my journey which will not be lightweight or a fast trek but as you have put it carrying my life on my back and getting by one step at a time. and its funny reading this as i have invested in many similar things such as all woolen garments including the bison (best item of clothing i have ever bought) and a large canvas rucksack. various other peices of kit that i find are important on this sort of trail is my honey stove, my wool blankets and alpaca poncho, simple tarp & hammock, 14cm stainless billy, leatherbound journal, and a pair of soft star shoes.

my point being if you are in no rush you dont need to spend vast amounts of money on high performance kit when you only truly need the basics for this sort of journey. im sure whatever trinkets you pick up along the way will do just fine and where loopholes in your kit appear the solutions are never difficult to find.

happy journey indeed, may just bump intae one another on the trail someday.
Hamish

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
A steel crusader mug and waterbottle (or two) is my choice for long distance trekking, you can cook anything in one of those.

Hmmm, bacon? fried eggs? loaf of bread? In my opinion the cursader is only any good for boiling water (and a very good job it does of it too :)) If you want to cook, rather than boil water to rehydrate 'cardboard' then a Trangia would be ideal. While not exactly lightweight, they are compact and complete (burner, windshield, two pots, frying pan and a kettle). Add to that a gas/multifuel adapter thingy, and you should be covered for all eventuallities.

teflon

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2009
Salisbury
Personally I'd make most of my own gear. The advantage being it's easily repaired or replaced along the road using readily available materials. Doing this would also be a good investment in the knowledge stakes. There are many plans available for rucksacks, etc - for free.

Sleeping bag, quilts and clothing would have to be machine washable and easily dried in a launderette. But the hardest thing is keeping ourselves clean, healthy and safe. A tip I heard was cutting out the bottom of a gallon plastic carton to use as a 'sink' for strip washes (or 'whores wash' as he put it). I'd also use swimming pools, all night services for free showers, spas in Europe. the sea(!) anywhere there's a chance to clean up. It's not just keeping healthy and presentable, but keeping happy too. Don't end up getting sick and/or looking like a bum - you'll be a target, including the police if you're carrying a knife.

Clothing I'd buy from TKMaxx, charity shops, sales, etc. Just bin and replace when stuff gets worn out.

Sounds great. Good luck!

edit - I'd buy a water filter. I have a 'Travel Tap' that can be used anywhere.
pps ... and I wouldn't spend winter in this godforsaken country. I'd head south.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hmmm, bacon? fried eggs? loaf of bread? In my opinion the cursader is only any good for boiling water (and a very good job it does of it too :)) If you want to cook, rather than boil water to rehydrate 'cardboard' then a Trangia would be ideal. While not exactly lightweight, they are compact and complete (burner, windshield, two pots, frying pan and a kettle). Add to that a gas/multifuel adapter thingy, and you should be covered for all eventuallities.

I'd be the first to admit that there are better pots and pans for making your egg and bacon sandwich in the wilderness, but if weight and pack size are an issue a crusader is worth considering. I have baked bacon in my crusader and a few bannocks too. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE