Buschcraft by candlelight....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
[video]http://vid119.photobucket.com/albums/o133/billrobo/IMG_5291.mp4[/video]I held a meet two weeks ago with the theme of natural light only, torches were banned, only in emergencies, or for bed time reading, so the guys would have to make their own lantern, although paraffin ones were aloud.
In the woods at night I felt a more connected, doing this again in the next meet as well, it really did feel good not to see torches about.[video][/video]
This was my effort
IMG_5178.jpgIMG_5190.jpgIMG_5289.jpgFirst one is a normal house candle wrapped in birch bark and slotted in a piece hazel.
Second one is pitch pine processed resin, burns Smokey
Third one is another one of my creations, the top and bottom made of slices of oak, insert four dowels and a lifting mechanism with a hole in the top about the size of a tea light, all wrapped up with sewn together raw hide dog chews, using sinew. Not the brightest but still shone good at night in the dark woods.

Last edited:

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I've found normal candles, sold in my local shop, 7" long with a diameter that'll fit in a wine bottle after a trim, to be useful enough for getting on with, lasting between 4 to 6 hours continuous use in a house environment. The life expectancy of an individual candle will depend how it burns, the more wax it spills the shorter it's life.

I use night lights too. Anything that stops the wax spilling if it has to be moved or if it's being used in a less than secure environment is a good idea. The night light in the base of a clear glass jam jar is as valid a lantern as many of those commercially sold. IMO.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Is the height of the jar / open kneck effective at stopping the flame 'dance' in the breeze? Would it be better with a narrower/ taller jar or do you not get any issues?

Cheers
Steve

The pic is identical to the the jar and hanging set up that I use, but I keep the lid with a 50p sized hole on mine. No issues with a flame dancing, only if it gets very windy the whole lamp can sway, and this can lead to the wax spilling, in that case i just put the lamp on the ground or a log, problem solved.

Bushmoot 2014 031.jpgYou might be able to see my lamp hanging in the tripod of my set up at this years moot.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I don't know if they are available here but at home there was candles for putting on graves (in a plastic casing) which lasts easily 24 hours. Cheap too. I used to have those with me outdoors.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE