bung on swiss volcano stove

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Does anyone know if changing the cork bung to a rubber or silicon laboratory type bung would work?

the cork it came with is pants and allows water out when it is packed away in my bag, so I am trying to think of alternatives.

I had the idea of the laboratory test tube type stoppers (like the ones you used to use in the good old school days when you were allowed blow stuff up in science lessons) as they are cheap but would they work and be food safe?

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
Yeah, thank you Mr Volcano. As a result of you going off I have a couple more days peace and quiet....

my wife is stick in Copehagen and my youngest lad is stuck in Italy.

So only me and the dog at home.

And no bloody planes going over all the time (I live on the Heathrow flight path!)

Ask the people in Iceland, they should know:D I live near an airport and it will be an enjoyable weekend

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Neat little stoves.:) I've got one somewhere that came with an aluminum cap on the cork. Some hardware stores stock lg. corks and rubber bungs, in the bins with the nuts&bolts. The black rubber ones do seem to off-gas something stinky...butyl rubber:dunno:. Homebrewers eh...good idea,thanks for that.

I came across this tip here,
http://www.muzzleloadermag.com/HINTS (stoves)/Accoutrements Hints.htm
no affiliation, etc
"To keep cork on canteens from breaking, drill a hole in the cork and insert a threaded eyebolt. Place a washer and a nut on the inner end of the eyebolt. Then when you pull on the cork all of the pressure is on the bottom of the cork, thus reducing the odds of breaking the cork."

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Thats exactly how the British war time water canteens where corked,eg threaded rod through cork,small oval shaped nut on the bottom,round tin cap on the top (of cork)

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
I changed mine for a silicone one, cos its heat proof and non reacting so food safe. i found a supplier on line for labs etc who supplied them by the thousand.i emailed them for samples they sent them for nowt. i also found ones the right size being marketed as bungs for inflatable boats.

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
There is a company selling silicone bungs with an extra skirt on it that folds back over the neck of the container to secure the bung
They are sold in various sizes and in packs of about twenty
I will look for it and post it for you
Someone could sort out a group buy and sell one or two to those wanting small numbers but not 20
Mick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE