Building a Toboggan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Hoory I am finaly on the forum. HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all.I have been working vary hard making and adapting my kit. I have started my toboggan and I am very exited about this trip. Just think no more rain only snow and ice the forest the sammi and somegood friends on an artic adventure of a life time hoory for the subzero crew:You_Rock_

Wayland

Hárbarðr
sign0016.gif
Nice to see you on the forum at last mate. Happy New Year to you and yours.

Riams-Pitch.jpg

This year is starting in the best way possible as far as I can see too.

Last edited:

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Welcome Riam, great to see you !

I'm still working on my kit, thinking about doing a sled but not sourced the material yet, anyone got a suitable slice they could spare, will pay/collect of course ?

Not at all sure whether its worth carting my 5' snowshoes all the way there and back if I only end up trekking a few km from base, I may be better off with some ex-army bearpaws. Honest views on this very much welcomed..

Happy New Year to all !

Andy

Wayland

Hárbarðr
A lot will depend on how far we move off road.

Traditional-Snowshoes.jpg

The roads tend to be well packed and for the trip between Jokkmokk and camp site you probably won't need any snowshoes.

If we are heading out into open country, for example across the lake in deep fresh snow your long shoes will have a clear advantage over anything we have to use.

If you are heading into wooded country then the shorter military or modern type snowshoes will be a lot more manoeuvrable.

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Wayland, how do you feel about the strength of the 4 fasteners holding the pulling bar onto the deck ? Seems to me they take all the pulling force and I'd be concerned they might pull through.

In the tread linked to above, that design has what appear to be eyebolts fitted through the pulling bar and deck, so the pulling force has the whole pulling bar to bear against. Seems a very strong design.

PS. thanks for comment on shoes, will have to do some chin stroking..

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hi Riam! :)

Good to see you on here :)

@Charlie- I'd recomend phoning local plactic stockholders and finding out how much they will charge you for an offcut of PE1000 (UHMWPE)or cheaper PE300(HDPE). My first was made from an offcut. Whilst I don't want another full sheet, I'd like a piece big enough for a shorter pulk and so I could be up for splitting a bigger offcut. Bear it in mind if you do mate.

Wayland, in the past I've got the toboggan well caught against buried saplings on a slope. I've needed to pull with all my force to get it over them, bouncing on the haul lines to get the thing to move. Thats probably a few 100 kg of force. Your bolts are quite substantial though and they look as though they will hold more than 50kg.

Besides, aren't you going to be pulling more than 50kg when we all sit on it for you to haul us to market in the mornings? :drive:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I was just going to attach mine to the back of yours and yomp on behind Pete.

You're the one with the fancy snowshoes for trailblazing.

:dancer:

I wouldn't tie to mine, I'll be tied to the back of the bus :burnout: ( the bus is of course tied to Karl 82 :) )

Last edited:

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Teepee said:
@Charlie- I'd recomend phoning local plactic stockholders and finding out how much they will charge you for an offcut of PE1000 (UHMWPE)or cheaper PE300(HDPE). My first was made from an offcut. Whilst I don't want another full sheet, I'd like a piece big enough for a shorter pulk and so I could be up for splitting a bigger offcut. Bear it in mind if you do mate.

Thanks. Anyone know of such a place in the Manchester area ? None near me AFAIK and I'm planning a trip down there soonish.

Andy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you want to build mine up and use it Andy you're more than welcome, I'd want it back after though

Seriously though, the offer's there. I haven't touched it yet since I brought it home so it's a blank canvas so to speak.

I know you're a fettler so I reckon you'll do a good job :)

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
They were 3050mm x 1250mm.

2 metres will be fine for my 'one-man' version. I only need to transport a 80 litre sack. And 2 metres is the length of my skis so the sled should fit anywhere I can ski.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE