Building a Toboggan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
2 metres will be fine for my 'one-man' version. I only need to transport a 80 litre sack. And 2 metres is the length of my skis so the sled should fit anywhere I can ski.

Sounds right for a one bag plus 'boggan. Have a look at the green PE1000 stuff Bob, its made with Molybdenum (MDDS) in it and is self lubricating :burnout:Seriously slippy stuff.

crowman

Forager
Oct 27, 2009
derbyshire
Hoory I am finaly on the forum. HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all.I have been working vary hard making and adapting my kit. I have started my toboggan and I am very exited about this trip. Just think no more rain only snow and ice the forest the sammi and somegood friends on an artic adventure of a life time hoory for the subzero crew:You_Rock_
hello riam youve done it at last i agree fully this is going to be a grand year and a trip to sweden has got to be the best way to start it , shopping at a saami market beats the january sales down stockport .Welcome to the forum and happy new year to all.

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Hi Andy it will be a shame not to see your snowshoes in action, but they are big, have you thought about a smalll sledge maybe just big enough for one of your packs.It might come in usefull for daytrips. Crowman has just brought a small sledge that will fit inside his rucksack, but the tobaoggans we are using pack down small are much heaveir, and a small sledge would only cost a few pounds, and you could leave it behind.
Question how are you getting on with your kit? and do you need anything? you probably dont as you have probably made it all, knowing you,

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Hi Riam, yes I'd really like to use those big 'ol snowshoes but I've been baulking at the logistics of carting them there and back, versus their actual usefulness compared with a more portable set. I've just taken delivery of a pair of swedish-made military bear-paw shoes which I'm planning to take instead.

I haven't decided whether or not to offer up the Ojibwe shoes, I love em, but if they're not going to be used.. ? If anyone thinks they can make better use than me, I'll let them go for what they owe me, please send a PM.

Thanks for the sled ideas, yes I'm thinking how I can keep overall weight down, and as I'm hoping to travel as light as I can I really don't think I need a 10-foot sled, maybe a smaller one like Bob is planning. If I can find a moulded one that'll fit into my second bag that's another option.

Kit is nearly there, just waiting for a few bits to land. Clothing mostly military surplus, with a few adjustments and upgrades here and there. Still need to make one or two belt pouches. Cooker will be clas olson copy of the swedish ranger spirit cooker, with heavier snow melting being done in a bigger billy on the fire. The shelter I'm taking is a 4x4 tarp, which I'll mod slightly to make a tent shape staked down at the bottom and with bungees to attach to the ridge line. The angle will be quite steep to shed snow and the sides will be guyed outward as well to stop them sagging in. Boots, I'm still working on getting some swedish army winter boots, if that doesn't happen I've some Meindls on order with Tamarack.

Are you around this weekend, I may be going Manchester way ?

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
One thought I had last year was to get a kids sled locally and just use it while I was out there.

It's a bit hit and miss what you might be able to find but it is a thought.

A pre made tump line and a few bolts and penny washers might be just the job. Like you say though, all depends on availability of a sled.

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Hi Andy ive got to do the family thing this weekend and with the trip coming up i beter keep them happy as i will be away from them for a long time But i would of like to have meet up for some good discussion.Some of the pouches i have made are made from a old sheepskin coat coated in nikwaxs the pouches double as hand warmers and keep food and drinks from frezzinng at lest for a while. I got the idea from waylands water bottle carrier. The coat costed me 15 pounds from a charity shop and i made a pouch, water bottle carer and mittons and made some trim for some boot liners The boot liners are made from wool blanket double thick. I also have made sheep skin insoles for spears. I've still got loads of the coat left for more fun projects so 15 pounds was well worth the money. If you want to make mittons just pickthe stiching from your army inner mitons you got from anker army surpplies and draw round them for a template and stich inside out and add a sheep skin trim and a ribbon trim for a tradatational look. Theses mitons are the warmist i have.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
If you added small runners to the underside (to give a degree of stability on side-slopes) would it still be a 'boggan or would it be a pulk?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've seen a couple of people add small fins at the back end to lessen lateral slide while traversing slopes but most of the things I've seen along those lines would interfere with the ability to roll it up for transport.
I have one idea that I'm turning over in my mind that I might try out at some point though.
sled.gif

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
If you added small runners to the underside (to give a degree of stability on side-slopes) would it still be a 'boggan or would it be a pulk?

It would be a slower and less effective toboggan Bob. :)

If you put a Red Bull F1 engine and rear wing on a Capri, it would still be a heap o' ....

Toboggans excel on flattish ground, pulks much better for steeper stuff where fins can be added to keep them tracking.

Last edited:

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
'boggans would be great for the frozen lakes of Finland but worse than useless when traversing side slopes covered in a thick crust of frozen snow. I was thinking of adding short runners that could be bolted to the underside for such conditions, for flat ground they would simply be unbolted and then be bolted on the top deck using the same holes.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
'boggans would be great for the frozen lakes of Finland but worse than useless when traversing side slopes covered in a thick crust of frozen snow. I was thinking of adding short runners that could be bolted to the underside for such conditions, for flat ground they would simply be unbolted and then be bolted on the top deck using the same holes.

Sideslopes suck with toboggans. I think there's mileage in your idea.

Have you seen Siglins pulks? A clone is easily possible. It could be unbolted and rolled up, but with the benefits of a pulk. Made from the same stuff but 3mm thick. Its my next hauling project.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE