Building a Navajo Hogan - Any references?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chem_doc

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I had received a book for Christmas on some bushcrafty topics. It's not great, so far, and it's more of a general topic book than providing real directions on things. As an example, there's a chapter on shelter, which covers tipis, lean-tos, debris shelters, etc., building on complexity/longevity of the structure until the chapter closes with a brief discussion of a Navajo Hogan.

There are a few pictures in there on construction, and about a page or two, but it's hardly complete. And this is not a shelter that's haphazardly put together. It would require some serious planning and effort to build one. Further, these will stand for a long time if properly constructed.

Regardless of all of that, I've become intrigued with the idea of throwing together one of these things. In all reality, that will probably never happen. However, something about just knowing how to do it still resonates with me. I figured there had to be some better info on the net about how to construct these things.

I figured wrong.

I've found a few sites that give about as much information on this as the book does, which isn't much.

I've also been unable to find anything decent on Amazon.com (at least the US version). Or ebay.

Does anyone know of any good source, be it a website, a book, etc., of information on how to actually build one of these things?

Thanks,

Doc

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I don't know of any online sources, but you might have some better luck doing a search for

log building
traditional log homes
dug out shelters
earth sheltered log house

In general, the later period hogan was a multi-sided log house built over a dug out living area. They dug down 3 to 5 or 6 feet, built a couple feet of log walls on top of that (6 or 8 sided), put on their poles/bark/rock roof, and then shoveled all that excavated dirt back on top and up against the sides. It does give you a very solid home, with pretty good insulation from the extremes of heat and cold. But you can have problems in WET conditions - it's down in the ground a couple feet and covered with dirt, so it can leak/drip. It works well in the dry southwest of America.

I think I might have a book laying about with some more info in it - if I can find it in all the piles/stacks/shelves/boxes.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your quest.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
i tried making a long term shelter and failed so so badly, planned to dig into some woodland but gave up a foot down after i hit a root every 2 digs so filled it back up and made a standard tent shape covered in sticks and threw on all sorts of stuff off the ground, definelty needs ALOT of planning, Anyone seen the one robin hoods gang has on the TV series? i want one, i do..:)

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
i tried making a long term shelter and failed so so badly, planned to dig into some woodland but gave up a foot down after i hit a root every 2 digs

Take a hand axe or fold up saw the next time, mark out the area you intend to build on when you come across roots just cut threw them the tree will survive its hard work but when completed the shelter will see you ok for years go on have another go,,,,what do they say if at first...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE