Building a long term shelter from natural materials

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

joe o

Feb 14, 2011
Wiltshire
Hello all,

Just thought you might be interested in this new gallery on our website showing a step by step pictorial of an experimental long term shelter build.

I wanted to see how far we could go with a minimal set of hand tools (all kit that could be packed and carried easily - axe, knife, folding buck saw, pocket saw, crook knife, hand brace and bit), a knowledge of working with wood and natural resources and no time limit. The door was a particular triumph for me on this project as it was based on an antique french plank door I reclaimed and built into my workshop a few years back. No metal screws, nails or hinges were used in it's construction, just wooden pegs wedged at each end to secure the planks in position and a strong hinge post into which the bracing bars were housed. Actually, the top bracing bar was integral to the hinge post - took me ages to find the right piece of fallen, but not dead or rotten hazel with a sturdy sun shoot growing from it giving an almost 90 degree angle. As you'll see the hinging post protrudes from the door top and bottom and these protrusions are housed into correponding sockets on the door frame allowing the door to swing open and shut. I loved the original design so much that making up a faithful copy in the woods became an itch I had to scratch. The original had also been made only using hand tools (adze, side axe, pit sawn planks) giving me the confidence to take it on. The addition of a hand brace and bit is something that I wouldn't normally carry but actually turned out to be extremely useful for making strong base camp furniture without having to fall back on lashing sticks together. I'm now on the look out for a folding, ratchet version. The Robin Woods amongst you will also probably notice that a small adze crept into the tool kit for flatting the split planks. This was more for asthetics then anything else..

Another first for me was the mud daub on the walls. Of course, I knew about it as a building material but digging over an area of ground right next to the shelter, pouring on water and mixing in bracken stems to make this primitive render became a bit of an eureka moment. Anyway, have a look and see what you think.. http://www.wilderness-survival.co.uk/gallery/index/index/cPath/243/#

Despite not having a permanent occupant (the structure would benefit hugely from having a small fire constantly chugging away inside) the shelter has made it through heavy snow, high winds and what feels like constant wet weather with only a bit of TLC needed to improve the thatch in places and prop up the ridge pole (too thin for the span plus the weight of the wet thatch). The door has developed a bit more of a haunted house in the woods style creeeaaaak...but I quite like that.

Cheers

Joe
www.wilderness-survival.co.uk

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thats a great looking shelter looks warm and dry, everything it should be!
nice job.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Very very good. Great to see how you did it. How does it fair for weather protection now that it is done?

joe o

Feb 14, 2011
Wiltshire
Hi Robbi,

The door took a whole day to make and I suppose if we'd have had a continuous run at it the rest would have taken ten days - two weeks of work for two people. In reality (as you can see from the pics) the build was strung out over a much longer time, doing bits here and there whenever we could afford the time. Collecting resources took the longest time and most effort. If we'd had pallets of leaves, bracken, bendy hazel rods dropped off on site we could have put it up in under a week between two of us. You can see why Travis Perkins was invented!

Cheers

Joe
www.wilderness-survival.co.uk

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
That is a work of true beauty; serious congratulations on building something so perfectly matched to its environment.

:notworthy

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
that's great stuff Joe, looks like it was an adventure building it.

Can you be mindful in the future that we generally don't allow links back to commercial ventures as it's unfair those that pay to be able to promote/link back.

Cheers

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
That is amazing!! Very well done. You've inspired me to give making a permanent shelter another go! How often will you be having to "top up" or replace the thatching? I'm guessing if you just went back in a couple months it would have all just died and fallen through? :confused: or am I wrong?

joe o

Feb 14, 2011
Wiltshire
Hi Bushcraftsman,

Thanks for your kind words (and everyone else). The thatching is holding up pretty well as the rafters and brashwood layer underneath provide a sound base. It's also quite a thick thatch layer (about a foot deep). A couple of places have become a bit exposed where the ridge pole is sagging but when the bracken is tall and dying back again I'll prop the ridge up and give the whole roof another bracken layer, followed a few months later by even more autumn leaves. So I suppose you could say that it'll be getting a twice yearly thatch top up.

Cheers

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:

joe o

Feb 14, 2011
Wiltshire
Wow! I've been told off. Apparently BCUK doesn't appreciate input from folk such as myself (full time instructor, author, busy school) unless I pay extra for the privilege of being able to tell you all who I am.

Hope you enjoyed the long term shelter pics and I truly hope some of you will be inspired to do the same.

Joe O'Leary

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Wow! I've been told off. Apparently BCUK doesn't appreciate input from folk such as myself (full time instructor, author, busy school) unless I pay extra for the privilege of being able to tell you all who I am.

Hope you enjoyed the long term shelter pics and I truly hope some of you will be inspired to do the same.

Joe O'Leary

Well it is a busy forum and it costs money to run. It only seems reasonable that someone who is making money out of bushcraft would be asked to contribute something to the running of the site, you are (I would imagine) going to get more hits to your site and even some enquiries for courses from the members and non members who see your work here.

You must admit the telling off was pretty friendly.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE