Build a Bucksaw (Competition registration)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Ok Count me in !

Although fairly new to carving, and any type of wood work, my spoons arn't too bad, ( mostly teastrainers ) and my latest creation "back Scratcher " for the preggie wife was quite good !

Any rules in this ? ie design - does it have to be traditional style ? i.e. blade, crossbar, and tensioner ? Do we have a minimum blade length ? - i'd quite like to make a mini ala Greywolf's lovely work .

Loz

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Loz,

You are in mate. I'm not big on rules - this is all about fun. Sort of "loose guidelines" are

It has to be capable of "practical use" (as in this ain't a model making competition :D ). Now if someone wanted to base one on a 12" wood blade as a sort of "alternative Laplander", thats fine

You can use any materials or design you like but it needs to be collapsible in some fashion and suitable for carrying in the field

At the end of the day the winner will be decided by public vote so if you can come up with something unusual, beautiful, well made, or that catches the imagination, I reckon you will increase your chances.

Red

1/ Wayland
2/ Falling Rain
3/ Weaver
4/ Rod
5/ Aaron
6/ Stew
7/ Spamel
8/ Demographic
9/ Chrisanson
10/ Aragorn
11/ Old Jimbo
12/ sam acw
13/ John C
14/ OzaawaaMigiziNini
15/ Marts
16/ Pignut
17/ Jon Pickett
18/ Big John
19/ kobalt01
20/ Ice Tigre
21/ Scanker
22/ Woodwalker
23/ Greywolf
24/ ledamni
25/ queeg9000
26/ Singeblister
27/ Loz

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
Hi Red,
Please can you stick my name on the list if its not to late!

Don't want to worry anyone but I have already had a play in the garage and found that my first attempt twisted in every direction, this is not as easy as I first thought. So its back to the drawing board for me.

Good luck everybody.

Dec 6, 2006
Herts
Hello all, Newbie to the site, I know a few of you from other places, but thought i'd just jump right in. :)

Ok. i did this from stuff hanging about the garage.

Right in true blue peter stylee.

saw001.jpg

First take a perfectly allright garden lawn edger
then adapt it with an angle grinder, or hack saw, for the tube.

saw002.jpg

Then take a perfectly good kids push along toy handle.
Then adapt it for another tube

cut a piece of steel for the fulcrum.

Drill some holes

Add a piece of threaded bar.

some nuts and bolts and

TA Da

saw003.jpg

and it collapses

saw006.jpg

All from bits around the garage.

Not as pretty as the others here, but it does collapse. and was free.

Going to build one tomorrow out of plastic to keep the weight down.
I recon I can get all of it into one tube with caps on them.

cheers
EH

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No worries both

1/ Wayland
2/ Falling Rain
3/ Weaver
4/ Rod
5/ Aaron
6/ Stew
7/ Spamel
8/ Demographic
9/ Chrisanson
10/ Aragorn
11/ Old Jimbo
12/ sam acw
13/ John C
14/ OzaawaaMigiziNini
15/ Marts
16/ Pignut
17/ Jon Pickett
18/ Big John
19/ kobalt01
20/ Ice Tigre
21/ Scanker
22/ Woodwalker
23/ Greywolf
24/ ledamni
25/ queeg9000
26/ Singeblister
27/ Loz
28 P@aul
29/ English Herts (welcome mate - theres an intro forum you can find by searching on Vegemite ;))

Red

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:(

Just realised I messed up - sorry :eek:

Meant to say up front, I have a sack of saw blades ("stock clearence" - don't ask)

They aren't anything fancy but I'l be d***ed if anyone who wants to can't have a crack at this. If anyone wants to play but hasn't got a blade, drop me a PM and I'll post you one (no charge)

Either way - if we can get the entrants up to 40 it makes the maths easier for my old brain :D

Red

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I'll try to have a look in the DIY shop this weekend for a blade.
Coming up with something a bit different is quite a challenge. I also only have a knife, Swiss army knife and a metal file in the tool box so far!!!

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
So far, blades aren't my problem, trying to find a lumber yard or firewood shop that has good hardwood for the handles... now that's a problem....

I'm going to claim this next question is off topic, even though it might not be (or might be...) Anybody that says otherwise, I deny your facts and plead the 5th. :cool: Anybody know a good store (in Ontario) I can get a wood burning kit from?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
OMN

What do you mean by a "wood burning kit" mate - as in pyrography (artistic burning with a thing like a soldering iron)?

Ask Old Jimbo or Addy B - bet they can help

Red

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
saw1.jpg
[/IMG]

I finally got started, I'm using part of the frame of my old "Muddy Fox" bike that I kept for a day like this, part of the tubing from an old strimmer that was in the skip at the allotment and some studding left over from the extension to the house. The bolts were left over from the kitchen build..Next I'm on the lookout for a bit of oblong section aluminium for the centre strut. So far it all fits inside the largest tube....

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
Ok count me in :)

Im not promising anything but will post the result if I can find all the bits.

My idea is to make it only using a knife and dry wood hanging from trees - don't ask me why :lmao: so it may take some time to get the wood. As for a blade I'll go shopping at christmas (I'll be in England for a week, the diy shops here don't actually sell anything that you need :confused: )

Cheers,

Andy (off to the woods in search of dry, straight, not cracked wood :rolleyes: )

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
I'm going to put my name down for this as well, no promises though.

I have an idea of what I'd like to make but know that my current ability is going to stretched way beyond the limit.

David

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
moduser said:
I'm going to put my name down for this as well, no promises though.

I have an idea of what I'd like to make but know that my current ability is going to stretched way beyond the limit.

David
1/ Wayland
2/ Falling Rain
3/ Weaver
4/ Rod
5/ Aaron
6/ Stew
7/ Spamel
8/ Demographic
9/ Chrisanson
10/ Aragorn
11/ Old Jimbo
12/ sam acw
13/ John C
14/ OzaawaaMigiziNini
15/ Marts
16/ Pignut
17/ Jon Pickett
18/ Big John
19/ kobalt01
20/ Ice Tigre
21/ Scanker
22/ Woodwalker
23/ Greywolf
24/ ledamni
25/ queeg9000
26/ Singeblister
27/ Loz
28 P@aul
29/ English Herts
30/ Bisamrette
31 / Moduser

Right Ladies and Gents, Friday 18:00 is last call for entrants - any more for any more?

Red

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Oh - go on then! ;) - I'll see what I can rustle up just for the fun of it! .......... now where did I put those spangley jewels.......:lmao:

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
British Red said:
OMN

What do you mean by a "wood burning kit" mate - as in pyrography (artistic burning with a thing like a soldering iron)?

Ask Old Jimbo or Addy B - bet they can help

Red

Yeah artsy burner.. think I may have found one.. ironically at the hardware store I work at :rolleyes: Figured I'd make a functional and attractive one (I really want that axe! :yelrotflm )

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
1/ Wayland
2/ Falling Rain
3/ Weaver
4/ Rod
5/ Aaron
6/ Stew
7/ Spamel
8/ Demographic
9/ Chrisanson
10/ Aragorn
11/ Old Jimbo
12/ sam acw
13/ John C
14/ OzaawaaMigiziNini
15/ Marts
16/ Pignut
17/ Jon Pickett
18/ Big John
19/ kobalt01
20/ Ice Tigre
21/ Scanker
22/ Woodwalker
23/ Greywolf
24/ ledamni
25/ queeg9000
26/ Singeblister
27/ Loz
28 P@aul
29/ English Herts
30/ Bisamrette
31 / Moduser
32/ g4ghb (Disco Graham)

Be interesting to see if OMN can manage something even more decorated than Grahams "disco ball" firesteel :)

Red

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
Bisamratte said:
My idea is to make it only using a knife and dry wood hanging from trees - don't ask me why :lmao: so it may take some time to get the wood.

I had the same idea, 2nd attempt and still not happy with the twisting of the frame so I'm going to modify my design some how :confused:

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
British Red said:
32/ g4ghb (Disco Graham)

Be interesting to see if OMN can manage something even more decorated than Grahams "disco ball" firesteel :)

Red

:lmao: the gauntlet has been laid!

Boxy

May 9, 2005
Abingdon
Just stumbled across this thread during my coffeeee (wow I've had too much) break, (with a little prod in the right direction from Marts, ta).

Count me in, its been ages since I cut myself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE