Build a Bucksaw (Competition registration)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
falling rain said:
I've nearly finished my Mk 1 bucksaw (picture in the gallery) still a bit to do on it though. The tensioning toggle is too long and needs finishing and the whole thing needs sanding and the bolts fitting but it's getting there. This won't be the one I enter, I'm going to get some decent wood and do another for the competition
Mind if I link the picture to this thread falling rain? Give people some encourangement and so on?

GW...you have to do a proper one mate - I'll bung you a blade if that helps as I have a spare one somewhere? Got to get a British Victory or Weaver will nip in with his "Redwood sized" one :D

Red

Greywolf

Forager
Jun 5, 2005
East Riding of Yorkshire
Go on then add me to the list ;)

I'll have a wander up to the local DIY barn tomorrow and grab a blade.

I just wanted to see if my idea would work, hence the model version. Might try it with a couple of different frames too. If I get the chance that is.

*wanders off thinking about how, why, and where*

:D

GW

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
kobalt01 said:
I supose ill give it a go as a nice starter project (i hope) and i can then take last place from Aragorn's hands.

Matt

i'll be fighting you for it mate, could i suggest a prise of a wooden spoon for last place, as long as i don;t have to carve it :lmao:

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
British Red said:
Mind if I link the picture to this thread falling rain? Give people some encourangement and so on?

GW...you have to do a proper one mate - I'll bung you a blade if that helps as I have a spare one somewhere? Got to get a British Victory or Weaver will nip in with his "Redwood sized" one :D

Red

No I don't mind at all Red. As I said it's not quite finished yet though. I also want to carve a pattern into the frame and stain it or some kind of art work if I can, and countersink the holes where the cord goes through the frame. The wood is pine from B and Q and cost me a fiver for a 6ft length. Mortice and tenon joint cut with an old hacksaw because I don't have a suitable saw to cut the joints with only a bahco bow saw a lap lander and an opinel saw (present from Buckshot)and they're all a bit rough for doing joints, and the mortice was cut with a carving knife because I don't have a suitable sized chisel. The curve on the cross-beam was measured out carefully and done with my bushcraft knife.Quite chuffed with it so far. Thanks for making me get my a*se in gear Red, by suggesting the competition.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
1/ Wayland
2/ Falling Rain
3/ Weaver
4/ Rod
5/ Aaron
6/ Stew
7/ Spamel
8/ Demographic
9/ Chrisanson
10/ Aragorn
11/ Old Jimbo
12/ sam acw
13/ John C
14/ OzaawaaMigiziNini
15/ Marts
16/ Pignut
17/ Jon Pickett
18/ Big John
19/ kobalt01
20/ Ice Tigre
21/ Scanker
22/ Woodwalker

any more?

Ladies and gents, can I take this opportunity to thank you for the positive way you have all risen to this challenge :notworthy ?

Sometimes we tend to focus on debating things a little too much and trying things too little.I'm delighted to see so many people enjoying getting "stuck in" :D

I will confess to having laid hands on some materials to try this for myself (and I revel in the nickname "king klutz" as any of you who have seen the write ups I do can attest). My challenge to myself is another £5 based one - I have to buy all the materials (I may also do one from foraged material) and make a solid saw for under five pounds including the blade. No reason (since I already have enough axes :lmao: ) other than it might make another interesting "how to" with photos and I'm as keen to try ths out as the rest of you!

Thanks again guys!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ladies and Gents ...the standard is set :yikes:

Here is Falling Rains "prototype" :eek:

Pict3057.jpg

I may not bother with mine now ;) :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
1/ Wayland
2/ Falling Rain
3/ Weaver
4/ Rod
5/ Aaron
6/ Stew
7/ Spamel
8/ Demographic
9/ Chrisanson
10/ Aragorn
11/ Old Jimbo
12/ sam acw
13/ John C
14/ OzaawaaMigiziNini
15/ Marts
16/ Pignut
17/ Jon Pickett
18/ Big John
19/ kobalt01
20/ Ice Tigre
21/ Scanker
22/ Woodwalker
23 Greywolf

;)

:D

ledamni

Dec 5, 2006
UK
I'll chuck a few ideas in the pot, consider my hand up. See what all those years of university education can come up with.

Have fun.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Evening ledamni and welcome to BCUK! Theres an introduction forum through which you can post all your vegemite loving weirdness :D

1/ Wayland
2/ Falling Rain
3/ Weaver
4/ Rod
5/ Aaron
6/ Stew
7/ Spamel
8/ Demographic
9/ Chrisanson
10/ Aragorn
11/ Old Jimbo
12/ sam acw
13/ John C
14/ OzaawaaMigiziNini
15/ Marts
16/ Pignut
17/ Jon Pickett
18/ Big John
19/ kobalt01
20/ Ice Tigre
21/ Scanker
22/ Woodwalker
23/ Greywolf
24/ ledamni

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
British Red said:
Ladies and Gents ...the standard is set :yikes:

Here is Falling Rains "prototype" :eek:

Pict3057.jpg

I may not bother with mine now ;) :D

Actually considering it's cheap pine from B&Q i'm surprised at how robust it feels, and being pine it's quite lightweight. When I'm done with Mk2 I'm going to attempt a leather carry case for the saw. I've never done any leatherwork to speak of before so there's another challenge. :confused:

queeg9000

Forager
Apr 24, 2006
Caldicot, South Wales
Hello Red,

can you count me in for this too, I've been looking at this for a day or two, then on the way home from work, popped in to B & Q, there in front of me.......Buck saw blades at less than £3 for a 21" or 24"...gotta have a go now! :)

ledamni

Dec 5, 2006
UK
British Red said:
Evening ledamni and welcome to BCUK! Theres an introduction forum through which you can post all your vegemite loving weirdness :D

Just watch it marmite boy! :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
1/ Wayland
2/ Falling Rain
3/ Weaver
4/ Rod
5/ Aaron
6/ Stew
7/ Spamel
8/ Demographic
9/ Chrisanson
10/ Aragorn
11/ Old Jimbo
12/ sam acw
13/ John C
14/ OzaawaaMigiziNini
15/ Marts
16/ Pignut
17/ Jon Pickett
18/ Big John
19/ kobalt01
20/ Ice Tigre
21/ Scanker
22/ Woodwalker
23/ Greywolf
24/ ledamni
25/ queeg9000
26/ Singeblister

Shall we set the limit to 30? Certainly I think we should stop taking entrants and start making saws at the end of this week ;)

Red

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
British Red said:
1/ Wayland
2/ Falling Rain
3/ Weaver
4/ Rod
5/ Aaron
6/ Stew
7/ Spamel
8/ Demographic
9/ Chrisanson
10/ Aragorn
11/ Old Jimbo
12/ sam acw
13/ John C
14/ OzaawaaMigiziNini
15/ Marts
16/ Pignut
17/ Jon Pickett
18/ Big John
19/ kobalt01
20/ Ice Tigre
21/ Scanker
22/ Woodwalker
23/ Greywolf
24/ ledamni
25/ queeg9000
26/ Singeblister

Shall we set the limit to 30? Certainly I think we should stop taking entrants and start making saws at the end of this week ;)

Red

Come on Red - you should be in on this too.

I can offer an alternative prize for if you are picked as winner :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Worry not Marts, I will post a feeble effort, but not as part of the competition..more for........shall we say comedic value?

Red ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE