Build a Bucksaw (Competition registration)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
sam,

Most hardware stores over here sell replacement blades. I have no idea on the situation in Poland, but I'm happy to post one over to you if you can't find one

Red

We'll see. The thing is that I do have a huge Husky chainsaw that despite being thought of as a bucking saw here will take a 36" bar and cut just about anything. It's just a pain to carry it anywhere, especially down the trails for clearing. Even a big bowsaw can be a pain to carry, so I might just get serious about making up some big frames.
I think we'll learn a lot from the competition you've got going, Red. I've sure learned a lot from basic sharpening, and I suspect that some good information will come out about frames now. It always amazes me how much there is to old tools, and how much information is forgotten. Thanks for setting it up!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
OldJimbo said:
We'll see. The thing is that I do have a huge Husky chainsaw that despite being thought of as a bucking saw here will take a 36" bar and cut just about anything. It's just a pain to carry it anywhere, especially down the trails for clearing. Even a big bowsaw can be a pain to carry, so I might just get serious about making up some big frames.
I think we'll learn a lot from the competition you've got going, Red. I've sure learned a lot from basic sharpening, and I suspect that some good information will come out about frames now. It always amazes me how much there is to old tools, and how much information is forgotten. Thanks for setting it up!

The main thing I learned from sharpening my Tenon saw at college was that its time consuming, it wasn't hard to do, just boring.

That included flatting the teeth off first to make sure they were all at the same height and re-setting them.

One of those things that I did just to have a go so I knew how to do it but not the kind of thing I would do regularly unless I had no choice.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Goose said:
Doesn't that get a little messy? :yikes:

It may well! Here's the start.

SquirrelCarve.jpg

Wow that squirrel is going to be gorgeous! I see thee's some real woodworking competition brewing!

"it wasn't hard to do, just boring."
Bow saw blades are a bit more tricky because of the raker design, and the fact that they're used on woods with very different characteristics. The problem is that the best frame design deserves a blade to match - and blades seem to be made to fit a price rather than for quality these days.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
OzaawaaMigiziNini said:
I think.... I have a new project... competition still open Red? :D
Sure is - I'm delighted so many people want to play!

Thats a good loking squirrel there weaver - but he needs longer ears one might almost think he's an American Grey rather than a handome British Red :D

Red

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
If there is still a place in this I will have a crack!

Was thinking of having a go at one anyway!

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
British Red said:
Sure is - I'm delighted so many people want to play!

Thats a good loking squirrel there weaver - but he needs longer ears one might almost think he's an American Grey rather than a handome British Red :D

Red
I have a piece of Cherry waiting for the next one.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
sam_acw said:
If you get more than 10 you can always have a semi-final round!
Actually thats not a bad idea Sam - I like the idea of it being "voted on",

I might have to scare up a second prize if there are enough entries (First prize a weekend away with Red...second prize is a fortnight :D)

Please join in Pignut - it wouldn't be right without you chap

Red

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
British Red said:
Excellent :D

Okay, heres a prize possible if anyone would like such a thing?

marbleszx9.jpg

This is a Marbles no.9 hunters axe. Double bit and re-ground into a Nessmuk grind and polished up a bit by me. I've oil finished the handle too. It has a leather belt mask to keep it safe.

The winner will be selected by poll of the members. If there are more than 10 entries with supporting photos (the maximum number in a poll) then we'll shortlist 10 for the "finals"

Hope that suits as a token prize?

Red

Damn!

Just bought one of those on e-bay :cussing:

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
I'm in for that, been meaning to make one for ages and never pulled my finger out, hopefully this is the nudge I needed.

Can't see the pic of the prize here at work, but it sounds great!

Thanks Red,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE