Bugs and tarps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
when on a course i built my own aframe shelter woke up in the wee hours for a piddle put my head torch on and the entire ceiling of the shelter was crawling with harvestmen it was a case of switch the light off and fall back asleep...I have also woken up to a 3 slug facial you know there might even be a market for that skin was as smooth as a babies bum when i eventually got all the slime off.....these things dont bother me but put me in a confined space with a wasp and i go medieval its a cross between a fight with the invisible man / going nuts with a baseball bat not caring whats around me until the wasp is dead. To this day i believe my last day on earth will be the day a wasp gets in my car whilst driving.

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
Try:

Snugpak jungle sleeping bag with built-in net over the opening, or
Bivi bag with similar netting. Many offerings, but the best one I've used was by Mountain Laurel Designs (Super Bivi I think), or
Army style mossie netting, no need to hang it up, just drape it over the top, or
Simple head net tucked into collar - lightest and cheapest option.

*Dusty*

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
N Ireland
There are some things that I really shouldn't read, up until now I have had no issues with creepies but having an ear used as a a hideaway by an errant creepy has started a whole new train of thought.

Earplugs. Foam ones, cheap and block everything out including the noises of beasties.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Bivy bag choked right up with just a small hole for breathing reduces the bug fest.
Best to just not think about it and carry on... ;)

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Ive never really been bothered by bugs when sleeping in the hammock apart from the odd spider.

At one of the N.E.S meets 3 of us tried out the shelter we had made and every minute or 2 you would hear a tap on the bivvi bag it turned out to be slugs falling through the leaf litter we had piled up on the shelter. The slime trails were surprisingly hard to get rid of.

atb

Craig

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Slugs are good for your hands according to W.T. Fernie. He published his findings in 1905, stating that chafing of the skin can be relieved with the slime of a slug. So, what do you do? Put the slug on the sore area of your hand and let it crawl around. Once the section has been slimed, you can then let the slug go! . so I quess the little fella did your skin some good even if he wasn't your idea bed mate :aargh4:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Clearing a bare patch to lie on helps. Not possible on grass, but in woods the leaf litter can be swept up into a pile and replaced when you leave.
Scattering a ring of ash from the fire goes some way to preventing slugs.
Not having your headtorch on in your sleeping area, prevents attracting flying insects.
Look around you and above you before setting camp, does any particular flora seem to harbour more bugs than others?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There are probably bushcraft applications for slugs (apart from as catapult ammo :rolleyes:). The slime is sticky, and largely waterproof. it has to be wiped off, as it does not wash off easily. At a pinch it might make an emergency sealant for a small hole in a tarp of clothing or bag. There are no health concerns that I'm aware of for the slime, at least in the short term.

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
I use a DD travel hammock with a tarp even when camping on the ground the netting keeps the bugs off me. Only used it several times however and its worked well sofar. Honestly however when dealing with bugs after the initial shock you get quite used to sleeping with them none of them are going to bite you slugs are awful but as long as your in your sleeping bag/blanket there shouldn't be any skin contact anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE