Bug out bag medication?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
The ventolin is OTC, but you still need a prescription. You can't just rock up and buy it like a can of coke.

I've only done it once. I went to the Asda chemist, got sent to the health centre next door, saw a GP, and she wrote the 'script. She wanted to know why I needed it, and I had genuinely run out. Then went back to the chemist, paid the 7 odd quid for the 'script and got my inhaler.

The slightly daft thing is, I don't pay for 'scripts, coz they are free in Wales. (The Asda was in England) I could, and have in the past, gone into the hospital, seen a GP, got a 'script written out, and got the puff from a chemist, for free, so I don't quite see the advantage of the Asda system.

I've just realised something, you have South Marches as your location. Is that Herefordshire?
This was the Hereford Asda.

Last edited:

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Looking at the info for England it is OTC, not prescription, it is either one or the other surely?

TNSTAAFL...

They think it is "free" in Scotland as well...:rolleyes: Not realising that someone, somewhere is actually paying for it. Bit like the NHS I suspect, it's "free" as well, it is, honest...:lmao:

Apparently you need to be a user of ventolin to be able to get it OTC, not just "Joe Bloggs" who wants some.

Last edited:

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
The ventolin is OTC, but you still need a prescription. You can't just rock up and buy it like a can of coke.

I've only done it once. I went to the Asda chemist, got sent to the health centre next door, saw a GP, and she wrote the 'script. She wanted to know why I needed it, and I had genuinely run out. Then went back to the chemist, paid the 7 odd quid for the 'script and got my inhaler.

The slightly daft thing is, I don't pay for 'scripts, coz they are free in Wales. (The Asda was in England) I could, and have in the past, gone into the hospital, seen a GP, got a 'script written out, and got the puff from a chemist, for free, so I don't quite see the advantage of the Asda system.

I've just realised something, you have South Marches as your location. Is that Herefordshire?
This was the Hereford Asda.

Aye, but you were on "South side"...:eek:

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Herefordshire has different rules to the rest of England.
I ain't paying another £7 to find out though.....:D

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Regarding the asthma inhalers.my little boy has quite bad asthma n I've recently been reading up on more natural ways if treating it.one of the ways I've come across are sea salt inhalers you a knock up your self I've not got a link too hand but I'm sure you could google.i'm not intending on taking him off his medication just yet as he 's very little but it's nice too know your options if a sticky situation did occur

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if Herefordshire has different rules to the rest of England.
I ain't paying another £7 to find out though.....:D

I am surprised anyone on or needing regular medication needs to get an emergency supply, my now "Ex-wife" was on four different inhalers a day plus other medication...She never ran out, and had a full set of spares which she rotated through with her monthly supplies...It was scary when we first got that prescription for it all, thankfully the season ticket brought the cost down dramatically.

Maybe you should have taken a trip to A&E, and got a freebie:)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Regarding the asthma inhalers.my little boy has quite bad asthma n I've recently been reading up on more natural ways if treating it.one of the ways I've come across are sea salt inhalers you a knock up your self I've not got a link too hand but I'm sure you could google.i'm not intending on taking him off his medication just yet as he 's very little but it's nice too know your options if a sticky situation did occur

Take him off his meds? Don't mess with your lads health, stick to what works and not some unproven method for crying out loud. :nono::nono::nono:

Just off to bat my head on the wall for a bit.

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales

Yes, I've come across them. I've never tried them, maybe I will one day. I believe they use a salt from a specific mine in Poland.
I've had Asthma since before I was in school, and I'm now 37. I've got a pathological hatred of anything to do with Asthma clinic, or any of the ones who work in it, built up over many years of being on the receiving end of their incompetence.
I would certainly recommend looking into more natural ways of treating it, and some of the side effects of long term Ventolin and Becotide use, and some of the ways of mitigating them.

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales

Maybe you should have taken a trip to A&E, and got a freebie:)

I would have, and have done in the past. I just wanted to see what the go was with Asda, and it suited, being as I was already in Hereford. It isn't so bad, my Mother and my Brother have asthma, so I can always get my paws on some if I'm desperate.
And I love the thrill of negotiating the traffic lights getting into Asda........

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Yes, I've come across them. I've never tried them, maybe I will one day. I believe they use a salt from a specific mine in Poland.
I've had Asthma since before I was in school, and I'm now 37. I've got a pathological hatred of anything to do with Asthma clinic, or any of the ones who work in it, built up over many years of being on the receiving end of their incompetence.
I would certainly recommend looking into more natural ways of treating it, and some of the side effects of long term Ventolin and Becotide use, and some of the ways of mitigating them.

Here! I'm not saying chuck your inhalers away but owts worth a go http://www.wewriteyoutell.com/natures-nutrition/the-water-cure/sea-salt-can-cure-asthma/
Here too!http://m.voices.yahoo.com/salt-inhaler-treating-asthma-allergies-6928150.html

Last edited:

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
I would have, and have done in the past. I just wanted to see what the go was with Asda, and it suited, being as I was already in Hereford. It isn't so bad, my Mother and my Brother have asthma, so I can always get my paws on some if I'm desperate.
And I love the thrill of negotiating the traffic lights getting into Asda........

They are "interesting" to say the least... Designed by a committee no doubt:lmao:

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales

It is very interesting, Certainly dehydration exacerbates the symptoms for me, and I know the sea air lessens it. Oddly, I don't suffer anywhere near as much in the extreme heat, I actually cope with it quite well.
It's definitely worth a try. They are saying Himalayan salt, so may be it's not just the Polish salt.

I am of the opinion that the symptoms of asthma are caused by more than one thing. Where as some people only experience the symptoms after heavy exercise, for some it's dehydration, and others it's cold or heat.
I also believe that some have it in their genes, while for others it is purely environmental, and not just what they are breathing in. Some people have an uncontrollable attack after or during severe mental stress.

Sadly, the only answer the NHS has got, is Ventolin and steroids, no matter what or why the patient is exhibiting symptoms. (And some other vile concoction called Seretide, which I will never, ever take again.....)

Many apologies to the OP for completely and utterly derailing his thread.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi pal I did state that I wasn't planning on taking him off his meds.

Quote "taking him off his medication just yet" so you have thought about it. Sorry pal but as a retired nurse and someone with COPD I get the 'red mist' when I see posts like that...they really, deeply pee me off. Why not leave it until he's eighteen and he can make the decision for himself.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Quote "taking him off his medication just yet" so you have thought about it. Sorry pal but as a retired nurse and someone with COPD I get the 'red mist' when I see posts like that...they really, deeply pee me off. Why not leave it until he's eighteen and he can make the decision for himself.

Ouote."i'm Not planning on taking him off his medication just yet as he is very little".
My worries as he is high end type three asthma is the effects of prolonged use of steroids.i have looked at alternative methods that I could possibly implement when he's older.i was trying too be relevant too the original thread that in a bug out situation it could be possible too replace some medication with a more accessible natural resource.my friend

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm housebound right now due to a hip bone graft and require various meds. As it isn't easy for me to get to the surgery or pharmacy for repeats I spoke to my GP who was very happy to prescribe as much as I need. If you just explain your situation, you'll be given what you require without the need to deceive, or in the case of the inhalers post, having family or friends prescribing their own medicines to you.

There have been some silly and uninformed posts in this thread, but I assure you that just explaining you need a month or more supply for whatever reason is the best option, and your honesty with the doctor will stand you in good stead whenever the situation arises.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE