Bug out Bag, Go Bag, Survival kit etc...

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
I was reading a couple of articles about bug out bags or survival bags that people keep handy in case of an emergency situation or disaster. The purpose of the bag is to keep essentials to survive for a 72 hour period (at least). it's something I've been considering for a while but never got round to doing as I don't live in a hurricane/earthquake area or anything like that. Just wondered weather you guys had one or not and what do you keep in it?

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I wouldn't call it a BOB but it's basicly the same. I keep a 35L backpack with everything to spend a weekend in the woods. Food wise I tend to keep boil in the bag food in my kitchen so I just grab a few (mainly rice and curry).

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I keep a couple of ready bags in the font porch cupboard, one has tinned/dryed food and cooking kit, another has blankets and outdoor clothing, and a third with a few electrical things with solar stuff and chargers too,there's allways about ten liters of water in the fridge for one reason or another, it's enough for my family to be self sufficient for about two weeks easily(with collecting extra water obviously) three with a little effort. It's just for any thing that might force us to leave our home, or be in our home without services, i tend to keep my hiking kit semi packed but ready to go, if the mood and oppertunity arrise.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Living in suburbia and commuting on motorways and A roads I don't have any need for one. I'm never far enough away from civilisation in day to day life to warrant one really, I could probably walk to a house for rescue in less than an hour on my routes. The most likely place I'd ever need anything like that is when I'm out on a trip and I'll have my gear with me anyway.

Winter is a bit different though as I live in hilly country so it's quite common to get cars stuck in snow etc. A few provisions like blankets, drinks, a small stove, snacks and some clothing layers are usually packed in a box for when the weather turns.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I keep a set of camping gear, food , tools (not that I can do vehicle repairs...but someone might happen along...) clothing etc in my van....mainly been used when I have enjoyed an evening out to the point that it is not advisable to drive.....
As I live in the country with the nearest shop some 2miles away and expensive the house is always well stocked in case of floods, TEOTWAWKI, etc striking and a "Ready Bag" packed in case of needing to leave home at a moments notice (MIL visits etc) -
at work I carry a bag with basic waterproofs, 1st Aid, clean up kit etc in case of emergencies with my Mencap job ......

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
In the UK you're more likely to use a BOB in case of a house fire, flood or the like. So on top of enough food, toiletries and clothes for a couple of days you should include important paperwork (e.g. passports, insurance documents, birth certificates, etc) and anything personally important such as a USB memory stick with copies of family photos.

Like most of the guys on here I keep a pack with camping/hillwalking gear either in the car or clost to the front door just in case I get a chance to bugger off for a night or two (much more likely than a house fire ... I hope!). If the brown stuff hits the aircon I just need to grab paperwork and a USB stick from a draw in my desk and I'm sorted.

Last edited:

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Indeed having had to evacuate because of a fire is why I keep one now, that contains everything I would have wanted with me when I left in a hurry last time but did not have. It is currently occupying an old 65 litre rucksack with room to throw a few more things in like my laptop in an emergency.

I also have a smaller bag packed with the essentials for taking into hospital, again I do that because it was something I could have done with when I was admitted as an emergency at the end of last year.

Of course those two eventualities might never happen again, I hope they don't but if they do, I am better prepared this time, because I was not expecting anything the first time was I.

Beyond that my car is always full of camping gear there's enough in there including a few MRE's and packets of dried food. There's even water in a pressure shower - which I most often use to clean off my dirty boots :) So with that and my BOB (though I hate to call it that, because it sounds so survivalist, I prefer evacuation bag) I could survive for more than 72 hours.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
No one actual knows who came up with the idea, but the top two seem to be air hostess, and spec ops soliders.

The idea is as stated, have a bag that means you can walk out of your house, and not come back for three days.

Mine is my weekend camping kit, for the simple reason, crap week at work, walk in, and walk back out. 2 hours later looking over the Wye Valley, and trying to remember why I wanted to throw the boss out the window.

It is worth thinking about this, and your EDC. For no other reason, than it tends to be good for the planet.

A lot of this should be just developing good habits, not survivally Rambo mind set stuff. Be a good scout, and be prepared. Carry a water bottle, so if you get stuck you have a drink. Always make sure you have some sweets, and maybe a couple of bars of something, not for the end of the world but for British Rail, or any other travel company.

One of the reason I try to do it, this one gets reinforced so often, is when they have you trapped, and you have to buy a drink that costs five times what it does normally.

Timbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2010
I have a bag I carry daily to work with some essentials in it should I get stuck away from home as I bus 25miles to and fro. At home I have all my essentials in a small four drawer unit and a bag close by, first aid, stoves, camping gear etc is all organised should I need it qucik. Keep essentials in SWMBO's car such as first aid, water, blanket, sleeping bags and essentials for my wee fella. At home I have about 5weeks supply of food and water, trying to get it up to 12weeks, its not really for a TEOWAKI more an insurance policy (like keeping a few quid saved away), there is always sickness, job loss etc..

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
GHB (get home bag) plus what I carry everday (EDC) is just fine. Do a search on "all kitted out", it will give some good, basic pointers. I really must get round to updating this.
N

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
This site provides lots of ideas and advice.

The author describes his experiences during Hurricane Katrina, the things he should have prepared for, the things he thought he'd prepared for but hadn't.

As previous posters have pointed out the worst you are likely to have escape from in the UK would be a house fire or similar.

On this page he provides an extensive list of documents that you may want to copy and keep somewhere safe and accessible.

If you do plan to keep digital copies of this kind of thing on a USB stick, iPod or similar you should really think about encrypting the files first.

An encrypted .rar archive might be the way to go but make sure your nearest and dearest has the password to access the files.

:)

Last edited:

TaTanka

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 28, 2010
Texas
I have a get home bag in my car, I'm on the road for work quite a lot and in school at the same time so if something happens it's nice to have the things I'll need to get home. It basically consists of everything my standard day bag would have. Going with shelter food and water, I have a space blanket/tarp as it's both in one, I carry granola bars years round since they won't go bad in the summer heat, and a could bottle of water as well as a way to gather and clean water for drinking if needed. It also contains other odds and ends and a waist pack that is a full first aid kit I keep in the car also. I also keep supplies stocked at the house as well as bags for everyone in the house.

We live very much in the center of tornado country and I'd much rather have all of this and never need it. We also keep a small fire box with electronic copies, encrypted and then put onto a locked USB drive, of all important files that may be needed as well as firing pins for all the guns in the house. That way if I need to grab and go they come with me and the guns can stay put completely harmless, they are also in a safe as well, and there is also no ammo in the house either. One of the silliest things is the fact that this includes pictures of the house as well as pictures from Google earth of the house, as after Katrina Insurance agencies actually did say well prove there was a house here first and then we'll pay out.

J4C3

Forager
Apr 11, 2010
Derbyshire
I carry a Rush 12 most places,it will cover most turns in weather and comes in handy for out and about with the family,push comes to shove i can get for a day or two with it.

More a handy urban,day to day help than a survival bag .

Rear hydration pouch =
Packamac,Slim black cap,slim gloves,Shamag,waterproof OG bag,microfibre toweldressing pack

Front main Outer pocket=
Platy bottle 1ltr,swiss folding cup,spare laces x2,paracord,glowsticks,micropore tape,housewife,lighter,waterproof matches,large sharpie,cash tube,rugged usb key,tie wraps
tool pouch= tweezers,army can opener,small tape measure,nail clipper,scissors,mirror,screwdriver,mini torque kit,extending pick up tool ,magents
zipped section in the same holds energy bars,noodles etc,spork

Small zipper area front=
Buff,sunglasses and case,head strap to convert torch to head light,small headlight,change,retractable usb extender,retractable phone charger

Inside
Left side upper pouch=note pads,small pens,mini sharpie,keyring calc,written and laminated copy of all my phone contacts,spare batteries
second pouch=tissues,wipes,FAK,Med kit with some basic anti emetics,pain relief etc,etc

right side pouch has a folded 20litre dry bag with strap so i can extended the load capacity or thrown the whole pack in that.

Main body of the bag empty for shopping or what ever else i may choose to take that day,camera,food etc

top torch lair holds Torch 200lumens,monocular,small multitool,hanky

the straps have a Maxpedtion pouch on the right which holds,iphone,any cards if i wish to take out the wallet and put there for easy use ,keys

The other strap holds folding drinks pouch,a rolllypolly dump pouch so I can drop stuff in it on the go ,for example you often buy food and a drink at the same time, so while im drinking the food goes in the dump pouch while i drink or when on a dog walk the lead goes in the dump pouch and his ball in the drink holder

the whole thing is a lot lighter than youd think,still leaves room to use the bag and covers loads of situations

See's me thru most situations and has helped me out no end only got to add a travel tap bottle and im done

Last time I used it Child mk1 had posted my key back thru the letter box in error thinking Child mk3 was home,which left me locked out ,i used the paracord and magnet to fish the key and bingo
its not a set up everyone will use or like but ive found it suits me and my needs.

Even my wallet alone holds a lot and covers a lot of situations i dont like to go anywhere without a light,blade and a FAK at the very least

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
This site provides lots of ideas and advice.

The author describes his experiences during Hurricane Katrina, the things he should have prepared for, the things he thought he'd prepared for but hadn't.

As previous posters have pointed out the worst you are likely to have escape from in the UK would be a house fire or similar.

On this page he provides an extensive list of documents that you may want to copy and keep somewhere safe and accessible.

If you do plan to keep digital copies of this kind of thing on a USB stick, iPod or similar you should really think about encrypting the files first.

An encrypted .rar archive might be the way to go but make sure your nearest and dearest has the password to access the files.

:)

I read that and what appals me is I am way ahead of that guy, no hurricanes round here but just about everything he has gone into I have prepared and I thought I was rational not paranoid.

But then just because I have had to 'bug out' twice because of fire, doesn't mean there will not be a third time.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
I have none of these things as I live in the UK. For military use, I did sometimes (but definitely not always) carry a survival kit

To be honest, if I have a 'situation' at home, I would call others in to fix it. If it was region wide, then I would call further away. It it was country wide, then three days of anything would be a bit pointless really.

In a similar way, as again I live in the UK, there is no point carrying lots of extra rubbish in case I hurt myself, as I will never be far from civilisation, and if I am far to bad to help myself get there, then I am unlikely to be able to use any special kit (for this same reason, I always tell students to think of 'their' first aid kit as something that others will be using on them.....this also aids kit selection!).

I suppose I could also put my passport in a bag, but then if I was not planning on going abroad (and why would I do that if my house had just caught fire) in a few weeks, what help would it be (better off in a fire safe!).

I may sound like a bit of a sceptic on this subject (because I am lol), but when I used to teach survival, all my students would have had all they needed in their ordinary gear, and carrying extras would only involve carrying the same gear twice.

Yes, I could carry an axe, and some para cord, to make a raft to make good my escape......Or I could just walk home, or use my mobile to summon a taxi! :)

BUT, do I keep my pack ready for a quick back pack, yes I do. But, then that is for pleasure (plus I use it three to four times per week), and to save time getting ready, and not some doomsday scenario.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I agree with Ray, I think to all you need is your regular gear applicable to what your doing. I work on a MRT in the North of Scotland and there's nowhere in the UK that can't be reached within a couple of hours (even in winter) by UK SAR assets.
I don't see carrying a sleeping bag, phone and warm clothing in your car as bug out kit, just common sense. I also dont really subscribe to the whole end of the world thing and a lot of survival kit is actually quite useless.
I went to a callout a few years ago where a young fella had got benighted in Glencoe. He had a foil 'survival' blanket for just such a situation, unfortunatly it was shredded in minutes due to the extreme wind he was out in. Fortunatly he also had an Ice Axe (a real piece of survival equipment) and used it to dig a emmergency snowhole. Needless to say he survived the night and had a few choice words the next day about his choice of gear.
I like the idea of keeping useful things together when traveling but only for convience, I also keep my bushy gear packed but only so I can get away quick when family and job allow.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
When abroad, 4-5 weeks, I just wear my bumbag, parecetmol, ibruprofen, alcohol jelly, wipes, piritin, plasters, diocalm, pack of dextrose tablets, aaa batteries, spare phone, pen, paper pad, passport, list of med insurance phone numbers etc.

This is really all I need as it's euro land and normally suffices.

Nick

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Well to revisit the situation, everybody faces a different set of risks, though some are universal like fire. There is a big difference between you being an evacuee because of individual misfortune and the whole City being evacuated as in Hurricane Katrina. In my case I had social services to fix me up with bed and breakfast and it was quite bizarre really when a whole bunch of smoke blackened people wearing the only clothes they had on, turned up at the same hotel in the midst of a wedding reception. If it happened again, I would not need social services. I'd take me bag, and everything else would be in the car.

In a Katrina like situation could I leave? I expect so because I live on the edge of the City the only real barrier being the M6, I don't need arterial roads to get out. I guess the only real test of such plans if you can make it to your destination on a bank holiday without meeting a traffic jam :)

There is reality, and fantasy, and a lot of stuff on the internet really counts as not much more than fantasy IMHO if there were a magnitude six earthquake anywhere round here I reckon I would be toast thanks to Wimpey. It's not likely to happen though, some scrote knifing me at the bus stop is far more likely.

I have survived into my mid fifties, for a lot of the world that would be an achievement in itself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE