Bug bite help?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Chigger.

No symptoms when they first munch then maddening inchyness an day later. Then the most hideous hive. They are the microscopic, they dont bite, they spit digestive enzyme then nibble a bit. Favorite dining areas are sock lines, belt lines and folds of skin like back of knees, genitals and arm pit. Some people react more then others.

Once the hive is up take antihistamine tablet or cream not after bite. The only other treament for hives that works is ribwort plantian leaf. Just juice a few then apply. I have had more 50 chigger bites from ground sleeping at a meet. I took the tablets and a pharmacist dispensed me a cream, the plantain leaf worked quicker but I had too many.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Chigger.

No symptoms when they first munch then maddening inchyness an day later. Then the most hideous hive. They are the microscopic, they dont bite, they spit digestive enzyme then nibble a bit. Favorite dining areas are sock lines, belt lines and folds of skin like back of knees, genitals and arm pit. Some people react more then others.

Once the hive is up take antihistamine tablet or cream not after bite. The only other treament for hives that works is ribwort plantian leaf. Just juice a few then apply. I have had more 50 chigger bites from ground sleeping at a meet. I took the tablets and a pharmacist dispensed me a cream, the plantain leaf worked quicker but I had too many.

Look like chigger bites to me and they are evil itchy. I once counted 20 in my legs ancles and hip's. Even some under my arm pit. Never known an itch like it.

Pull your socks up lad, well more keep your pants tucked into your socks. Not sure if repellant on clothing helps as they just seem to go mad biting in early then late summer.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Strange I should see this thread this morning.....I've just been nibbled on this morning as I walked across our field.....
duje3eda.jpg

One of a few.....feeling irritated after only a few minutes . Bites don't usually bother me much.....but these are like a super nettle irritation (which I usually enjoy)

I'll put some pics of swimbos bites from t'otha week. She had a very nasty reaction.....possibly connected with plant sap ?

This is when it started reducing ...
eva6e8ep.jpg

xylaria

Your missus might of stepped in spurge or an ants nest. The pain from ants is instant, most problem plants need sunlight to react and cause blisters. If you got your bite this morning it more likely midge or flea.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Are chiggers all that common ? I don't think I've ever seen one :dunno: I had to go and google the name to find an image.
Trombicula autumnalis is the UK one it seems, but there's not much about them; loads on N. American sites though.

Sticky willie /goosegrass/ cleavers helps with itches and bites too, but our native houseleek (hen and chicks) is very, very good indeed.

I suppose it's the time of year really, isn't it ?

cheers,
Toddy

xylaria

Chiggers are red spider mites in their adolescent stage. They arent visible. Adult red spider mites are very common and are of visible size just. They more likely to be seen on walls and pale stones. The adults are vegetarian and can cause serious issues in green houses. They like dry warm ground. I saw red spider mites in the shetland isles but they were a different species which much larger, and thier young were a visible size. Scotland has them but they like dry ground.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ahhh.

Red spider mites I know; don't see them often though, sometimes in plants bought in. The dry bit might explain thing :D We're wet here; very, very wet. Lanarkshire is a green jungle just now :)

While I mind, your Stupidly Simple cream soothes midge bites too :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Are chiggers all that common ?

Locally, yes there's more than plenty :(

I don't think I've ever seen one :dunno:

You'll likely not see one, they're tiny ;) The way I usually explain their bites is 'You know those mozzie bites which you think you've got away with, the ones which don't itch, but go manky and itch like crazy the next day? That's a chigger bite!' :)

I suppose it's the time of year really, isn't it ?

Chiggers don't like the cold or, from experience, wet ~ warm humid they like though ;) . They're more prevalent around harvest time, they're also called Harvest Mite Louse / Lice, but will much any time of the year if the conditions
are right :eek: .

... Even some under my arm pit. Never known an itch like it.

Pull your socks up lad, well more keep your pants tucked into your socks. ...

Chiggers purposely go for moist constricted areas ~ which is what can lead some to wonder 'How that dang mozzzie got in there to bite?' and also why you might think the location caused it to go bad or be extra itchy ;)

They'll also climb! So if they can't get in at the sock line (or it's not restricted / moist enough for their liking) they'll travel up to your waist ... back of knees ... groin ... pits .. bust ... skin folds ... :yikes: Anywhere which is warm, moist and constricted ~ even if the constriction is just caused by clothing ...

BUT ... at least the UK's chiggers don't carry and pass on the same nasties which their American cousins can ;)

Last edited:

xylaria

The three midlands meets I have been to rough close, super sausage and swift valley I got really munched on. I needed antihistamines tablets after one meet. I also binned the bra and boil washed the clothes after. I have them in my back yard now. If the sun comes out I will get a piccy of mummy and daddy chigger.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Coincidentally it was just down the road from Rough Close!

The wildlife round (t)here is voracious ~ the mozzies are less in number than up north, but they're determined lil'blighters (pretty sure the local population are bred for armour piercing duties ... ), the clegs would intimidate elephants and the chiggers could eat an army, boots and all :eek:

At the moment we don't seem to have a tick problem ~ but that could just be down to the other three ganging up and eating them ... :dunno: :yikes:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Y'all must have different redbugs (chiggers) than we do. They don't bite as such, that's true. But they don't spit either; they burrow under your skin. I know the links say differently, but I've seen it too many times. You can actually see them moving around under the skin.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Only just caught up with this one, and I reckon that's surely Chiggers - that's exactly what they do to me if I'm lucky, but normally they'll last up to a month and go to two or three times that size; but exactly the same look to it.

The good news is that the stuff I use from Xylaria with the neem oil has meant that I've only had one bite over the past ten months or so, for the first time in my adult life :)

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
I get bites all the time when I am out through the warmer months. I found they mainly came out the next day and lingered for a while until I got a good routine.

My method is:
tuck your socks into your trousers. Ramblers are notorious for this. Its to keep the bugs from crawling up your leg. Applied when going into bracken or bush areas.
DEET spray
Cover up. Shorts and t-shirts bushcrafting is going to get you bitten.

Shower as soon as you get home - clothes go in wash. I get shower. That should wash any bugs lingering away, off your self and your clothes.
Never, ever itch any bite. That is pretty much guaranteed to inflame it and make it worse.
Take anti-histamine daily until no longer itching.

A day or two later all my bites are usually gone. If I had itched and not taken the antihistamine it would have been much worse.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Just a heads up as its that time of year again. We went for a little bimblr in the woods yesterday, building shelters with my little boy and the better half. Well today I am peppered! Usual place, ankles, hips and knees. Pretty sure the little bleeders managed to get through the zips in my zip of leg pants. The itch is a shocker..
Year before last I had about 30 and was climbing the walls.
We were only out for an hour or two..

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Just a heads up as its that time of year again. We went for a little bimblr in the woods yesterday, building shelters with my little boy and the better half. Well today I am peppered! Usual place, ankles, hips and knees. Pretty sure the little bleeders managed to get through the zips in my zip of leg pants. The itch is a shocker..
Year before last I had about 30 and was climbing the walls.
We were only out for an hour or two..
Our bug oil seems to be a effective deterrent to most bitey things, Stupidly Simple bug oil. If you have'nt tried it yet we'll send you a sample to try out let us know how it goes just pm me you postal add.

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I've had the same problem today. Little buggers got a good meal out of me.
DEET or smidge for me tomorrow methinks!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE