Buffalo Superbag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I'm not sure if its the superbag but its a Buffalo bag with a inner bag and a liner and arm holes in the outer bag. i got it back in the 80s before breathable bivy bags were common.

Great so long as you ain't too fat and you don't have to carry it far as it weighs a ton. Nowadays the only time it comes out of the wardrobe is the wife keeps it in the carboot during winter as you can keep them compressed indefinately.

Very tough, reasonably windproof and it was warm even when pretty wet, you can repair them yourself more easily than any other bag I've had.

I don't think I'd buy one now because of the weight unless I was going somewhere were i was utterly dependent on it and had to have total reliability.

The single layer bags with arm holes used to be popular with fishermen who would wear them like giant baby grow-bag while angling. I picked up one for £3 on a second hand tackle stall once, just needed washing and a couple of patches were there was ripped on the pertex, 30 mins work and it was as good as new :-{D)

ATB

Tom

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Ditto,
Heavy, bulky, but warm and well made!
you can sleep out in it in light rain if you want to.

the other problem Iv'e heard from a few Buffalo users is the main zip fails I know of at least 3 cases (and myself). a much thickerzip would be better.

I have the inner and outer bag the inner on it's own can be a bit thin in spring autumn, and you don't want to haul 2 sleeping bags, there are a few versions knocking around mine has a "Gimp" style zipped up face presumably to scare people in the morning, Globetrotter has a "Survival aids" version with a velcro'd face mask
1 of my bags has armholes the other doesn't (they are both named "Inner")
i recomend the "arm" version for hammock use!

you can buff up the pile-fibre easily with a stiff hairbrush.

My strong advice is "try" before you buy
the "Gimp" feature is quite clastrophobic!:eek:(but warm)
(unless it's really cheap mine were army surplus £30 each)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE