Buffalo or Montane?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Before you go splashing out £££££ have a look at

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150899049...49&var=450115609912&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Norwegian..._Men_s_Coats_Jackets&var=&hash=item2582d1dd41

They are both toasty warm jackets, pack small and well worth the dosh.

For £20.50, the cheaper jacket is worth a punt, a few of us here have them.

Many thanks for those. I do like the look of the Norwegian one; they know a bit about the cold, it's a good price and looks pretty compact when stuffed. I think I might just give it a punt... Only thing is that it might present me with that 'slimy factor'. Still, at that price, it's probably worth tolerating that!

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I have the montane jacket and it is very versatile. If you keep it cleanish (mine isn't, covered in oil, grease and dirt) then it is smart enough to wear every day. Suffers a bit from lack of pockets.

It isn't heavy and feels light as a feather and doesn't restrict movement at all.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I've got an old Buffalo Belay jacket that SWMBO used to get upset about me wearing so she got me a replacement with a hood. I must admit that I haven't used it too much, but the old one was fantastic. I also have a very old Buffalo Big Face shirt which is now rather thin (seen a LOT of use). I wanted a replacement but the Buffalo was getting more difficult to obtain so I got a Montane Extreme smock. I'm in the middle of Montane sizing and ended up with a medium which is a little too big. I find the Montane warmer than the Buffalo, often too warm (though that may have more to do with the lack of decent cold weather in them last few years). Consequently, the Montane has spent more time on the rucksack rather than worn, which is a shame in more ways than one: I f ind the extra features make it much bulkier and heavier than the Buffalo. The Montane is well-made and fully speced but I much prefer the Simpler Buffalo gear.

Claudiasboris

MonsieurDig

Jan 6, 2015
United Kingdom
Whats the least hot buffalo? I am a tree surgeon and like the idea of them for climbing in when its pissing it down but obviously climbing and chopping a tree down is hot work

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Many thanks for those. I do like the look of the Norwegian one; they know a bit about the cold, it's a good price and looks pretty compact when stuffed. I think I might just give it a punt... Only thing is that it might present me with that 'slimy factor'. Still, at that price, it's probably worth tolerating that!

Ive used both a mardale copy of a buffalo, and various 'softie' style jackets issue and non issue like those linked to a few posts above. I have to say, the softie/bivvy jackets win hands down on warmth, pack size and windproofness (2 layers of pertex/pertex equivalent). I've never had a problem with the jackets feeling slippery when worn or clammy i must say.

The pile/pertex of buffalo and clones thereof does present marginally better performance when wet through though I understand.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Whats the least hot buffalo? I am a tree surgeon and like the idea of them for climbing in when its pissing it down but obviously climbing and chopping a tree down is hot work

Search on ebay for the latest army issue 'thermal smock' - its a buffalo design, but with windproof zips, and a fleece lining rather than a pile/furry lining. Usually to be had new from between £30 - £40.

e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-A...THERMAL-SMOCK-NEW-SIZE-160-80-S-/271316327598

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I have used a Buffalo smock and a Montane hood (from ebay) for several years as my "Alamo" layer in the bottom of my pack in summer and as a useful layer while mooching about in woods.

I too run hot and find it a bit too much unless it's very cold, but it's never let me down when I've needed it.

Useful combo IMHO = thin merino top, buffalo, waterproof layer (have used goretex, have used poncho, have used army surplus cotton-type combat smock [mainly round fires in camp]). That combo has seen me ok in Scottish winter at low level and goretex combo has been ok mountaineering.

I have to confess that I have been given and like a Haglofs synthetic duvet jacket, but that's new and so only for posing in at present :)

All the best.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE